Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting To Know You August

20 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 28: What is something you like to do the “old-fashioned” way?

Hmm. 3-D printing?

:rolleyes:

Not much, really. I like efficiency and convenience in most things and I'm willing to work with janky interfaces when necessary. I did "old-fashioned" when it was "new-fashioned". It's overrated.

Though I did enjoy the reactions I got when I went skiing with my short skis (190cm Rossignol 4S). It was funny seeing people on their 150s look at me like an alien. But I'd definitely switch out if I skied more often.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Cheesecake doesn't mix well with book reading anyways, at least if you try them at the same time.  Oh, I know what you were referencing but cheesecake, and a nice mug of tea is heavenly... 

Nonsense.

I can tell which cookbooks deserve favored status on the shelf by the number of stains on their pages.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 8/27/2018 at 2:47 AM, redambrosia said:

Monday, August 27: What is the best song from the 1980s?

Journey - Seperate Ways  ....Because of Tirrel's (Cerberus) animation to the song.

Yes I know I"m late, I had to make sure I could find a song that actually was 1980's for sure ^_^;;;;

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 29: What is something you definitely prefer to do the “new-fangled” way?

Drawing a bit of a blank so I'll go "modern medicine" as the answer.  So nice that a lot of things, even moderately serious you can be in and out in 28 hours, and recovery can be measured in days (instead of weeks) or a few weeks (instead of months). 

I'd say listen to music, but I'm a vinyl DJ (that migrated to digital vinyl due to costs and weight), and I hate Bluetooth audio so, uhm...  I'll stick with the first one ^_^;;;;;

Although I do like my "it was new two years ago" Class A headphone amp for listening to Spotify.... (it has a built in hand warmer if needed! :p ) 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 29: What is something you definitely prefer to do the “new-fangled” way?

Apparently I have packing anxiety so I'm not able to sleep.

I could go on about sysadmin stuff until everyone else fell asleep, so I won't.

Instead: Listening to music.

I own somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,500 CDs.  As can be imagined, they take up a lot of space.

iTunes on my music library machine claims I have over 2,500 albums.  (As you can imagine, I buy a lot of music.)  It's a standard desktop so it takes up nowhere near as much space as my CD collection.  Further, I have an Apple TV connected to my receiver in the living room (with the good speakers).  I can play any song in my iTunes library in my living room, sitting on my couch.  I don't have to go to my CD collection and find my desired CD, put it in a CD player connected to the receiver, etc.

iTunes also lets me buy music that would otherwise be hard to obtain.  For example, I was able to buy the latest album by Perfume (a J-Pop band) on the day it was released in Japan.  Ten years ago, I'd have to place an order through a CD vendor in Japan, wait for it to be shipped, etc.  Now, iTunes doesn't have everything (for example, it's sorely lacking in Ali Project albums) but it has a lot of stuff.

Runner up: Collecting and reading RP books.

Mostly for the same reasons.  A PDF takes up less space than physical books.  I most of an entire shelf dedicated to my Exalted 2E books.  The PDFs probably fit on a CD or DVD.  And I can sync all of them to my iPad and read them anywhere I have it (including on a plane!).

Let's not discuss how much money DTRPG has made from me over the years.

That said, I need to find a paperback book to bring with me on the plane tomo... later today.  I actually finished my last book (when I wasn't even on a plane!).

• Like 8

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Laundry. I had to wring out wet jeans once and ever since I've know I was not cut out for the pre-washing machine era.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

3 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Laundry. I had to wring out wet jeans once and ever since I've know I was not cut out for the pre-washing machine era.

^^ anything involving cleaning. I hate cleaning. Gimme as much technology to do it for me as possible (major downside of new apartment - no dishwasher... unless you count Sir Cyr). 

Writing papers on a computer. I like homework and notes on paper. I am so glad I didn't have to do my master's thesis by hand or by typewriter. 

Science. Modern diffractometers make things so much faster than old ones. Old ones could give you a heck of a lot of information, if you were willing to painstakingly hand measure a bunch of dots on a screen. Now I can get thousands of dots of data just by running the program. Plus there is then the analysis.... I love the theory and I am glad to know the math behind it, but grinding that math for thousands of dots without a computer? No thank you. I'll prove that it works for a few by hand (wooo physics homework) then set something else up to do it for me. So science and data analysis are really darn high on my list. I love science and math; I hate arithmetic and I'm clumsy. Blessed are the computers. 

Toilets. Really glad I don't need to squat in the woods and use a pinecone to wipe my bum. 

In many respects, shopping. Yes, I like in-person shops. I want to keep small brick and mortar businesses going. But c'mon.... who here doesn't love that Reaper has free shipping on relatively small orders? There are so many minis that I would never be able to get without online shopping! Most are relatively small businesses too, but from all over the world! Plus, online thrift stores kinda rock my world when I need new jeans and business attire. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2018 at 1:37 AM, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 28: What is something you like to do the “old-fashioned” way?

Cook. Well, bake. I don't even use a mixer, no space for one in my sharing-a-studio-with-someone situation. I use a big heavy steel fork and lots of biceps.

I took cookies to work today (yesterday? ah, night shift) and I swear, there were people who had religious experiences in front of me. They weren't even all that spectacular, at least not by my standards. I was asked how much I charge for cookie-catering.

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Dishes. Stick them in the dishwasher, toss in a soap packet, turn it on, walk away. Don't even need a dog to pre-rinse them.

Edited by NebulousMissy
le formatting
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

Toilets. Really glad I don't need to squat in the woods and use a pinecone to wipe my bum. 

Yeah, pine cones are good for exfoliating, not so good on sensitive skin :lol:

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

But c'mon.... who here doesn't love that Reaper has free shipping on relatively small orders?

Good pun :devil:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Texting and e-mail.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I'm pretty happy with modern tech.

One thing that makes me happy, I paint, I take a pic, I upload and seconds later I have shared it with you.

Also, listening/watching music on youtube

Whatsapp, I can communicate with my girl and vixens so easy now.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Cheesecake doesn't mix well with book reading anyways, at least if you try them at the same time.  Oh, I know what you were referencing but cheesecake, and a nice mug of tea is heavenly... 

Well, I suppose what I was referencing might INCLUDE "cheesecake"...:poke:

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Dentistry.

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Glasses. My eyes are as bad as my mom and dad's, but I don't have coke bottle glasses like in their wedding photos. I love my polycarbonate anti-scratch, anti-glare lightweight lenses. I even discovered that dried superglue scrapes off of them with no noticeable trace. (Please don't test this at home. The results are usually bad.)

• Like 6