Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting To Know You August

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 29: What is something you definitely prefer to do the “new-fangled” way?

Music for sure. When I'm in the studio, I'm streaming Amazon Unlimited from my phone to either a bluetooth speaker or wireless earbuds. All voice-controlled so I can stay in the flow. I also have a home NAS that runs a bunch of backup/storage stuff but isn't as convenient to use for music as the service. I need to upgrade the NAS to one with dual ethernet to keep load off the data network, so I can add in a few 4k cameras. You don't want a skunk to trigger a 4k video load across several cameras in the yard while you're trying to play an online game or watch a streaming movie!

Also, navigation. I've always loved maps and had a ton in my truck, now I use Google Maps extensively (though I still keep physical maps in the truck, because I live near the Adirondacks and low cell tower saturation). 

I'm not a real tech/gadget guy, but there are a few places it really enhances things with low overhead.

• Like 4

Cooking corn in the microwave.  Microwave the corn in wax paper and it tastes better that roast corn, much better than boiled.  And it is faster 4 min in a 1300 w oven for two ears and you are done.  Even Rex Stout thought that it was the only contribution of the microwave to gourmet meals.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 29: What is something you definitely prefer to do the “new-fangled” way?

• This Wi-Fi thingamajig sure is mighty useful.
  • Not having to use disk drives anymore. Even CD/DVD writers feel awkward.
  • Streaming video, or computer video files of nearly everything.
  • Like 4

On 8/26/2018 at 12:41 AM, redambrosia said:

Sunday, August 26: What is the most annoying thing about having you as a housemate?

I got a bit of a pack rat thing going.

Things tend to pile up. Ever higher. Never leaving. I don't throw out stuff very often. Trash and laundry are not a problem, but piles of books, documents, rinsed dishes, unfolded clothes are a thing.

My weirdest habit is to keep scraps of food (potato peels, onion skins, chicken bones, coffee grounds, etc.) in a bowl in the fridge. My fridge dries out stuff very well, and instead of having moist scraps of food festering in the trash bag until it's full, I leave them in the cool, dry fridge where they become odorless and much lighter. It's a habit I started when bugs and trash juice became a problem in the summer time. It also allowed me to throw out trash much less often as I could wait longer until a bag was full.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:14 AM, redambrosia said:

Saturday, August 25: 

If you could jump into a pool of something, what would it be?

Can I answer "A pool of pretty ladies who want me to be there"?

Plan B would be Oobleck. Because science and goo are made for each other!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 8/24/2018 at 4:06 AM, redambrosia said:

Friday, August 24: What's the funniest thing you've seen a kid do?

Seeing 4-5 year olds playing team sports is very entertaining.

They don't have a competitive bone in their body, have poor physical coordination, and want to have fun with everyone, even the opposing team.

For hockey, you see kids falling left and right just from standing on their skates in full hockey gear. Or in soccer, you see defense playing with the grass, while the goalie is swinging on the goal post and politely moving out of the way to give the opposing team a chance of scoring, and always a chance of them going top the sidelines at any moment for a sip of juice.

On 8/19/2018 at 12:53 AM, redambrosia said:

Sunday, August 19: 

What's your worst or funniest bug related story?

I often let bugs live.

If an offending fly, wasp, or spider enters my domain, I try to catch and release it in a container. If it's of the stinging variety, I give a couple of shakes of the container to stun them, then drop them off.

Of course, sometimes I just go for a quick squish. It all depends if it offended me or not (flies are generally not the lucky ones as my flyswatter can attest).

As a youth, I was one of those kids with a magnifying glass that burnt ants. And let me tell you, burning ants stink!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Playing chess on triangles. Game in progress:

EA406EFB-58AB-4761-8AFA-3DD1AA627532.thumb.jpeg.1a1bcc5280834967fb833c7786304d3c.jpeg

The mascot knight in the bottom corner  will ^ toggle  to Black when it is Black’s turn. (...& I mighta drawn the mascot knigget... :ph34r: )

(Playing on squares is the old fashioned way. Thousands of years old-fashioned. Triangles... that is newer.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/28/2018 at 12:37 AM, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 28: What is something you like to do the “old-fashioned” way?

21 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I think I like this new-fangled notion of weeks which contain two-fer Tuesdays. It’s way better than a Triple-Monday week. I just hope nobody was using this thread to track the days until Reapercon. 

tumblr_oci33yT66W1uwggl5o1_500.jpg

Tyr Is Pleased

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

I've been saving this one for reapercon-mas. It's from @Clearman.

Thorsday, August 30: 

What non-hobby related trophies do you have?

A Denver ComicCon tap handle. I used the year of beer, but the handle is permanent. I won the beer naming competition last year ::D:

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Thorsday, August 30: 

I have a few cups and medals for winning some fights.

Wu Shu Kung Fu 3rd place in National League

Kickboxing Several wins ( you're either 1st or contestant I have a few of both)

Wu Shu Sanda Kung Fu 1st Place

All Style Martial Tournament 3rd Place.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Thorsday, August 30: 

:rolleyes:

I have a trophy for some sort of bowling event (where I bowled poorly...of that I am sure, but others did considerably worse... therefore trophy).

I have a much smaller trophy that involved placing 2nd out of 33. (Thus, my Borg Designation will be two of thirty-three.)

I have a box of miscellaneous trophies from someone’s garage sale (mostly tennis I think, ...I had the idea I would disassemble them for components, little marble slabs and such.)

I got some kind of certificate from the bomber plant one time (? but there was no metal involved) so that probably doesn’t count. 

Edited by TGP
I have no hobby related trophies either... ...if that is Sunday’s Question.
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Thorsday, August 30: 

Well, not really trophies but back when I was working for AT&T Wireless, whenever a customer wanted to speak to a supervisor to tell them what a good job you did, it was called a Kudos and the supervisor printed a recognition paper out to commemorate it. I managed to fill an entire folder of them, which I still keep in my portfolio for job interviews. I even have one from the AT&T High Level Adjustment team for saving the company over $5000 in unnecessary customer credits because I had left excellent notes on an account, and I even have one that came straight from the Office of AT&T's president, so I'm pretty proud of that.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

...the beer naming competition last year...

Ummmmmm

This was a contest to invent a name for a beer? :huh: i.e:

Foaming Goblin Rainbarrel Cinnamon Stoat

...or suchlike. 

Or was it drink a flight of four unlabeled brews in rapid succession and then identify them by color/taste? 

Bud Light, Moosehead, Guinness, Shiner

...etc. 

I don’t need to know, more of a want really. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Thorsday, August 30: 

An outstanding achievement at work recognition certificate. Every single university degree I have (three of them). My professional engineer title certificate.

Though not trophies per se, I am proud of those achievements (even though I keep them hidden in boxes somewhere). I'm not naturally a competitive person in the traditional sense.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4