Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting To Know You August

19 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, August 31: 

What is the most expensive things you've ever broken?

Marriage..

Long ago and happy now, but it was expensive in more than one way.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3

Yipes ^ Glitterwolf....

On 8/30/2018 at 5:42 AM, redambrosia said:

"Thorsday" is your fault @TGP. Your picture of Tyr inspired me. :lol:

I dithered between the eyeroll smiley and the :winkthumbs: smiley. 

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Freyaday, August 31: 

That would be one of three different automobiles. But I don’t have the numbers (or inflation tables) handy to be able to say for certain which of the three cost the most. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, August 31: 

I'd rather talk about the most entertaining story regarding something I've broken. It was rather expensive, but also probably the saved the people involved some money in the long run.

My buddy's house had this stairwell, it wasn't spiralled, but it went down at right angles around itself like a spiral staircase, or even better an interior fire staircase (think the stairs in Ghostbusters).

He had 4 floors, and you could look from the third floor to the basement using these stairs. It was most excellent for laser tag or Nerf war purposes. One time, I did a thing that I can't even imagine doing now, but I was much more athletic at the time. I spun around jumping from one level to the halfway platform and shot at someone chasing me, and *mostly* stuck the landing. With the help of the wall, that is. But only my butt hit it, and not very hard.

The second I landed I knew something wasn't right though. There should have been more resistance from the wall. I spun around slowly and saw a Mike's-butt-sized-print in the wall. 

Thankfully, it uncovered a water issue, the wall had been soft due to some roof drainage issue. I guess we found it before mold, so that might have been the reason they didn't banish me from the house.

Oh, and I also tried to break dance on their pool table and broke a stained glass light.

I was an idiot 16 year old when I was over there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, August 31: 

I'll go with one of the spare work trucks several years ago... Mine was in for maintenance, and it was one of those "lovely" 35C before humidex days.  All day I'd been running the air conditioning at max to try and keep the cab at least somewhat cooled, and the engine's thermometer thingy (forgot the technical name, but it's a spring loaded hear sensitive thing that helps the engine regulate its internal temperature)....  And over time, this caused the coolant to steadily warm up more and more, and eventually, it all boiled out.... 

.... Right as I was going up a fairly long hill, in the middle of traffic it lost a decent amount of power.  Thankfully, the check engine idiot light came on as I got to the top of the hill, and it waited until I'd gotten just after the bus stop at the top of said hill before it let out that telltale MASSIVE puff of white smoke under the hood signaling the last of the coolant went poof... 

Eerily enough, that vehicle lasted the company a while longer, but man it sucked trying to find shade while I waited for my boss to bring me enough antifreeze so we could limp it to the repair shop we use.. 

• Like 4

On 8/23/2018 at 1:45 AM, redambrosia said:

Thursday, August 23: What song or artist do you like but rarely admit to liking? (Taylor Swift, anyone?)

Taylor had been a guilty pleasure of mine until I realized that I liked basically all of her songs and wondered why I ever thought I might not.

• Like 5

Since I normally run my cars until they break (until I got married then my wife nags me to get a new car before then.) I would have to say one of the four cars I did that to.  A pinto from driving over an hour to work each way over bad roads.  A Horizon that someone knocked the bumper off when I was at a loading dock with the rear near the traffic lane, A Challenger that was run into the ground and a Taurus that was hit by a person pulling out into the side of my car from an off ramp.  I had the right of way.  Probably the Taurus because that was a full sized car and the last one.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, August 31: 

I farm so lots of stuff I handle is expensive even though I'm on the old, cheap end of the scale. Most expensive would probably be a month ago. I have one almost new tractor used mostly for feeding cows in the winter that I bought last year. Turns out it wasn't the right tractor for my needs but it was what was available when I needed it. I knew it had a bad bolt on the loader and I was putting off changing it until I had some spare time. Note spare time for me is almost non existent in summer. Had one big round bale roll off the field and through a fence when I was making it. Needed to move it about 10 feet and fix the fence. As i was backing up carrying the bale the bad bolt and another broke. When the loader started to drop I instinctively yanked back on the control to lift it. Bad move. Last bolt on that side broke and the loader shoved itself sideways damaging the tractor's hood and severely bending the opposite arm. Had something similar happen years ago on an old wore old loader but this one was practically brand new. It's in the shop being repaired right now. They estimate about $28,000 dollars worth of damage. Luckily it's covered by insurance. And insurance estimates are always way higher than real value but still.... Once it's repaired I'm selling it off for something cheaper and hopefully tougher even if it's older. 

• Like 5

On 8/26/2018 at 12:41 AM, redambrosia said:

Sunday, August 26: What is the most annoying thing about having you as a housemate?

Based on personal experience of what my wife complains about, Imma go with "leaving the butter on the counter".

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Friday, August 31: 

The fender on a nearly-new car.

Twice.

*facepalm*

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/27/2018 at 4:47 AM, redambrosia said:

Monday, August 27: What is the best song from the 1980s?

Don't Stop Believin'

On 8/28/2018 at 1:37 AM, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 28: What is something you like to do the “old-fashioned” way?

Code. IDLE is the most complex IDE I'm willing to use. Usually I'll just use nano.

My town uses a Civil War-era ballot box to collect ballots. It goes ka-chunk-ding when pull the lever.

Edited by etherial
  • Like 5

On 8/29/2018 at 12:37 AM, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 29: What is something you definitely prefer to do the “new-fangled” way?

There are so many things I love about living in the future. I think I'll have to go with "learning". From googling things on my phone, watching YouTube videos, listening to podcasts, to reading tumblr broccoliposts, learning is so much more fun the new-fangled ways.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, etherial said:

Based on personal experience of what my wife complains about, Imma go with "leaving the butter on the counter".

That's where butter belongs. Scientifically.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2018 at 3:23 AM, redambrosia said:

I've been saving this one for reapercon-mas. It's from @Clearman.

Thorsday, August 30: 

What non-hobby related trophies do you have?

No trophies per se, but I did come out of Academic Decathlon with a fistful of gold medals.

Friday, August 31: 

Probably a car.

4 minutes ago, pinkymadigan said:

That's where butter belongs. Scientifically.

We keep it in the cupboard so as to not entice the cats.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, etherial said:

We keep it in the cupboard so as to not entice the cats.

There are arguments for putting it away somewhere, to be sure. And there are arguments to keeping all the butter that isn't the "active" stick in the fridge (in fact, this makes the most sense), but there are no arguments I know of that would make me store my active, in-use stick in the fridge. Maybe if the AC went out, I guess.

I can see people thinking it's easier to store it in the fridge if they have pest problems, but I would find a different solution, probably. Buy a butter crock with a good heavy lid, or buy a bread box and keep the butter dish in there maybe. But I would not give up room temperature butter unless forced to, anything is better than trying to use cold butter, or having to foresee needing butter in a couple minutes, or trying to time softening butter in the microwave without liquefying it.

• Like 4