So, trying to figure out what I'm doing for reapercon. I've lost my vallejo leather instructions in my move, so I'm not super comfortable with where I'm at painting new leather and wood. 

I have a few miniatures started that I could touch up/finish, or I could start a different new miniature...

Here are the ones I'm currently considering:

15333990537162067812064600648227.thumb.jpg.589806d77ffc14d7815c2a434c9b551c.jpg

15333991635727941199839396277851.thumb.jpg.203c54dd1b5536b37852670f32569a28.jpg

1. Oathsworn Tiefling

I really think she has the best face I've ever painted, and I'm really happy about what I achieved in her purple sash. But the rest of her, I'm a bit iffy on. 

15333992632336704203130088665641.thumb.jpg.26d942c45a2e33576e0e90394d5385b4.jpg

15333993096008221454981060397036.thumb.jpg.9d7fab50d00a5d18d1cd1adf325ab79a.jpg

2. Reaper Bryn Half-Elf Rogue

So, I'm really proud of her leathers (before I lost my directions) and her sleeves, but she has on of the worst faces I've done recently, due to the more narrow shape of her face. Her hair also leaves a lot to be desired. I also am worried about being able to finish those remaining leathers as well as the first several.

15333994836691356551405381464907.thumb.jpg.105b6af6ce6ebabd415bcca481666ffc.jpg15333995302085407732440274096865.thumb.jpg.3f9dfd3e842624bc15ae499484fddf71.jpg

15333995581021068907188492683203.thumb.jpg.1716a6cb75b0687e69163dcf5daf063b.jpg

3. Reaper Ametrine, Gnome Alchemist

She's my most recent mini, and my first attempt at trying to figure out the leather on my own as well as my first attempt at painting potion bottles. I'm really happy about her hair, and her face is decent, even if it isn't my best.

I'd love to here opinions about where one(s) to choose, and advice on how to potentially improve them.

• Like 12
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff.  I'm liking Ametrine the most.  The hair definitely caught my eye.  The face is also good, but needs some bit more color in the shadows (I can't tell if the shadows I'm seeing are painted in or the lighting)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Clearman said:

Great stuff.  I'm liking Ametrine the most.  The hair definitely caught my eye.  The face is also good, but needs some bit more color in the shadows (I can't tell if the shadows I'm seeing are painted in or the lighting)

The shadows are painted in on the face; I had a lot of difficulty trying to blend there, which is why I'm not quite happy with her.

You have made a great start on all three but I keep getting drawn back to the Tiefling. The face and sash both look good but I would recommend upping the contrast on both. Also, I would darken the lips a little as they kind of blend in right now. As for everything else, the metallics are a big portion of the sculpt and I am not sure how much you have done on them but I would recommend some glazing to deepen the shadows. The first picture gives you a nice light situation and personally, I would use it as a guide of where to place the shadows.

For the other two, I like the purple in Bryn’s hair and her sleeves as well as Ametrine’s eyes and her color scheme. I do think that both their faces need a bit more color. It could be the lighting in the photos but they seem a little washed out right now. Overall, my biggest recommendation for all three is to up the contrast. 

Regarding which one to choose, I would go with the one that you feel most motivated to paint. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So far, I'm leaning toward finishing the tiefling and Ametrine for reapercon. Both if them are pretty close to being finished. I'd like some opinions on the bottles and leather on Ametrine

15334048791978489088980468746502.thumb.jpg.7402d5a90ce69766cdebd5dacd7bc2d3.jpg

As well as some advice on how to capture a porcelain skin that hasn't seen much sun. Using my own skin, I have really cold skin, so I had trouble figuring out where any warmth comes from, and I'm not sure how to get a cold skin tone to feel real. If you can't tell, I'm a lot better at monstrous skin tones than human.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

So far, I'm leaning toward finishing the tiefling and Ametrine for reapercon. Both if them are pretty close to being finished. I'd like some opinions on the bottles and leather on Ametrine

As well as some advice on how to capture a porcelain skin that hasn't seen much sun. Using my own skin, I have really cold skin, so I had trouble figuring out where any warmth comes from, and I'm not sure how to get a cold skin tone to feel real. If you can't tell, I'm a lot better at monstrous skin tones than human.

The bottles look good, I like how you have the green showing through. From what I can see the leather looks good as well. For the skin, maybe introduce some Rosy Skin or Rosy Highlight. Some light glazes of purple in the darkest shadows could work as well. I agree, monstrous skin tones are definitely easier. 

51 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Tried to make some TMM progress. 

Good start. I would work some colored glazes into the shadows next. Blue is one of my favorites to use for silver but for her maybe a little bit of the darkest purple from the cloth and/or some of the darker skin tone. I would say more purple than anything as right now you have a lot of warm reds and yellows but just the cool purple cloth so it feels a little off. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More critiques would be appreciated; currently my plan is to finish the tieflings weapon, touch up her tail and maybe add some highlights to her armor. And then just do the finishing cleanup before moving on to her base.

The gnome still needs her metal finished, but I believe that's it other than basing.

The touch of pink on the gnomes’s cheeks looks good, it gives her a bit of a blush. The tiefling’s armor could use a little highlighting, mainly along the edges but otherwise it looks good. Also it looks like you might need to reclaim your mid tone on the sash, the transition from shadow to highlight looks a little abrupt. Last recommendation would be to deepen the shading of their hair. 

You have done a great job on both of them and now I want to get that tiefling to paint myself.