CAV: Strike Ops III Kickstarter September 19th 2018

CAVBOSS

18 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I understand what you're doing CAVBOSS, but unfortunately, you dropped 90% of my interest in this KS.  I hope that for your sake I'm in the minority, and that you still do well.

While I'm in the minority about CAV. I like it due to it was around at/with Reaper when I first liked the company & I'm glad to see it's alive & well with anther company. I'm just not into it. I do like allot of the models , like the Spider/Crab CAV for example. I'm definitely getting that one in this KS, but I'm in it for the paints mostly right now. 

It helps that I got to see some of the model in person at ReaperCon, this year as well.

• Like 4

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Maredudd said:

I imagine that the difficulty lies in the molds required to make the terrain and aircraft. You can't really 'split' the cost of the required mold for an aircraft between stretch goals, and if you simply add the mold to the stretch goal you still need to increase the cost of the stretch goal to make sure the mold cost is covered.

Than again, I may not know what I'm talking about . . . ::D:

That does make sense, though I was talking more about CAV/tank goal, then terrain goal, then CAV/tank goal, then aircraft goal, etc, instead of CAV/tank CAV/tank CAV/tank terrain aircraft.

• Reaper User
8 hours ago, Weird-O said:

Would it have been feasible to scatter the terrain and aircraft among the other stretch goals instead of concentrating them at the back like that? I'm no expert on these things obviously, but it seems to me that if someone were interested in those, they'd be more likely to pledge early if those models seemed like a more attainable goal then way off in the back like that.

Well, we had several levels of terrain and aircraft planned for and we had the starting ones a little further along since they were going to add a significant amount to each stretch goal they were part of. The thinking was if the levels were going by faster, the extra wouldn't be as bad at that point. If the levels are going fast, yes you can stretch the dollar amount but if not, you need that level to pay for that mold/models.

1 hour ago, Weird-O said:

That does make sense, though I was talking more about CAV/tank goal, then terrain goal, then CAV/tank goal, then aircraft goal, etc, instead of CAV/tank CAV/tank CAV/tank terrain aircraft.

-- Well that technically how it is, just not broken down that far. If there are 4 models in the next stretch goal and its $10k to reach, you are technically hitting a model every $2500. But, it gets unmanageable quick trying to plot dozens of stretch levels.

• Like 4

On 10/2/2018 at 5:21 PM, CAVBOSS said:

Well that technically how it is, just not broken down that far. If there are 4 models in the next stretch goal and its $10k to reach, you are technically hitting a model every $2500. But, it gets unmanageable quick trying to plot dozens of stretch levels.

I'll definitely defer to your expertise there. I know just enough about Kickstarters and logistics to know that I do NOT want to know the rest, you know? :)

• Like 2

• Reaper User
10 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

I'll definitely defer to your expertise there. I know just enough about Kickstarters and logistics to know that I do NOT want to know the rest, you know? :)

No expertise here. I'm learning as I go! :) If I make a mistake...just don't it again is my mantra.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Weird-O said:

Did the wings/tail need much straightening? I remember the Kraken and Tsuiseki having issues on that end...

No, I didn't boil any of my Lynx; CAVBoss made sure that this round had sturdier wings.  I think the Lynx only needed a little cutting on their insert pegs to make them straight.  Really a joy to work with!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

Wait, you BOIL your bent plastics?!? I just go for fresh-coffee-hot. How on earth do you bend them into shape without burning yourself?

Plastics have a low coefficient of thermal conductivity. Which means that you can touch fairly hot plastics with nothing like the discomfort of touching hot metal. I use boiling water all the time for PVC minis.

I will mention that I think that shock cooling hot plastics might not be the right way to go. I think a slow cooling (if you can maintain the plastic in its correct position) might result in a better tempered final result with fewer internal stresses -- and thus less likelihood of reverting to the bent state.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Plastics have a low coefficient of thermal conductivity. Which means that you can touch fairly hot plastics with nothing like the discomfort of touching hot metal. I use boiling water all the time for PVC minis.

I will mention that I think that shock cooling hot plastics might not be the right way to go. I think a slow cooling (if you can maintain the plastic in its correct position) might result in a better tempered final result with fewer internal stresses -- and thus less likelihood of reverting to the bent state.

You are also at a high enough altitude that boiling water won't cause permanent skin damage. You can afford a brief splash while working with plastic in hot water. The thermal conductivity part is also certainly true though. Sir Cyr used to use fingers in boiling water to check pasta. Not anymore! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

You are also at a high enough altitude that boiling water won't cause permanent skin damage. You can afford a brief splash while working with plastic in hot water. The thermal conductivity part is also certainly true though. Sir Cyr used to use fingers in boiling water to check pasta. Not anymore! 

There's only about a 5C difference between sea level and Denver. Enough to be noticeable, but not enough for much difference in damage. You'll need to dissipate 63 calories per gram in Vancouver rather than the 58 cal/gm in Denver.

• Like 1