Yet Another League Idea

Something I'd been mulling over recently is setting up a campaign map on graph paper, and making the terrain types larger. Say, make a contour map with features and suchlike, and each 6'x8'game table would be like 3x4 squres on the map.

Thoughts, in no particular order:

-groups of units during a Movement Turn can move a number of squares equal to every 10" or part thereof in the slowest unit's movement. Thus, a 26" MM would let you move three squares. Aircraft could use hybrid flight to great effect here, and infantry pretty much needs APCs.

-A unit can join or leave a group of units at any time. once they join or leave a group, the group's movement is bound by whatever the new slowest unit is.

-Each square, or at least a bunch of squares, have sites in them, such as factories, cities, mines, farms, etc. Each site would have a resource number and a production number. Use these numbers to generate points values you can use to either rebuild or expand your army, or rebuld/expand the sites you control. Damage to buildings and sites would directly influence their resource or production numbers.

-You can attack sites with anything, but in order to control a site and use its resources or production, you must have at least one stand of infantry present, to hold the ground.

-Each grid square is 2' on an edge. You can move units around all you want, turn by turn, and whenever opposing units come within a distance of each other that could be represented on a game table, play out the encounter with models after everyone else has moved their Movement Turn.

I'm sure there's more I forget, and a lot of this needs to be made concrete and tested, but what do you guys think?

Edited by Herr Oberfroschmeister
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More thoughts:

-Crew advancement. This has been covered elsewhere, and I think I'll use the tables in the PDFs the black lightning guys were given a while ago.

-I think I'll let the players fortify their own positions if they want. Use production points as they wish, and construct turrets using the JoR construction rules. All emplacements they're not borrowing from me need to be modeled.

What I need:

-How to handle civilians, delivery vehicles, and such

-a map, suitable for 5-10 players

-how to establish resource/production values for a site, and how they affect points available to build.

-How damage, repair, and additions to a site affect its production and resource values.

-How to assign points values to facilities, buildings defences, etc.

Anyone want to chime in with ideas?

Thoughts at Random (speeling too!)

instalation values - Take a Queue from Turn Based Real Time (Starcraft and Civilization) and make certain sites produce certain things, while others require things to produce. Makes that one Ore Mine on the Planet kinda important, Hmmmm?? ::D:

Make Some Sites produce Power, others use Resources to allow Repair of Units Cheaper (better Facilities, Techs able to work efficeintly)

Make Each map Square 1/4 of your Table, What Ever that Is, instead of so many feet. This way it is portable from the 6x8 crew to the folks that like playing 6x6 and so on.....

Make Orbital Pickup and Dropoff Values For Each Square. This way, Everyone Has a Shot of bringing a Superheavy to the Fight, not Just Mantis and Dictators.....

Consider how to allow for Hercules Activity in General (Pick up Drop off, and Strafing Runs....

Don't be afraid to declare an Entire Table Difficult terrain, or even unpassable!! Make 'em appreciate the under loved Spider and Scrpion!

Supply lines, and Dumps: Make 'em realize why UCORs still make PBGs and LBGs.

What is a Sovereign or a Rhino without Ammo??

Perhaps a little adaptation from, oh, say, *cough*BattleFleetGothic*cough* for what will happen next turn? (think Supplies, Reinforcements, antoher Hercules arriving for that crutial pick up/ strafing run etc) and modify for situation?

I'm taking notes, guys. Thanks. Here's what I have so far, feel free to chime in on the What I Need list.

MAP-BASED CAMPAIGN

RULES:

-groups of units during a Movement Turn can move a number of squares equal to every 5" or part thereof in the slowest unit's movement. Thus, a 26" MM would let you move six squares. Aircraft could use hybrid flight to great effect here, and infantry pretty much needs APCs.

-A unit can join or leave a group of units at any time. Once they join or leave a group, the group's movement is bound by whatever the new slowest unit is.

-Each square can have a Sites in it, such as factories, cities, mines, farms, etc. Each site would have a resource number and a production number. Use these numbers to generate points values you can use to either rebuild or expand your army, or rebuld/expand the sites you control. Damage to buildings and sites would directly influence their resource or production numbers.

-You can attack sites with anything, but in order to control a site and use its resources or production, you must have at least one stand of infantry present, to hold the ground.

-Each grid square is 2' on an edge. You can move units around all you want, turn by turn, and whenever opposing units come within a distance of each other that could be represented on a game table, play out the encounter with models after everyone else has moved their Movement Turn.

WHAT I NEED:

-How to handle civilians, delivery vehicles, and such

-a map, suitable for 5-10 players

-how to establish resource/production values for a site, and how they affect points available to build.

-Tech tree a la starcraft. You need X resources of X type to upgrade/repair/produce a site, which in turn allows you to do X, such as repair more easily, produce units and such.

-How damage, repair, and additions to a site affect its production and resource values.

-How to assign points values to facilities, buildings defences, etc, see above.

-How to handle supply lines, running out of ammo, etc.

-Maybe run double-blind? This'd mean each player gets his own transparancy overlay on the master map. This is probably too complicated

This sounds really Cool.

I have received several requests from BLO's asking if they could help with the "Campaign" aspects dicussed in other threads. I would love to see this posted on someone's site (Getting the map scanned in and the appropriate links shouldn't be too difficult for some of you) and then linked to our BL resources page.

There is a tremendous amount of potential here, I can't wait to see what the rest of you do with this.....

In general, I like simple. First idea, during the Resource phase, every weapon (gauss cannon, missile pack, GGC...) costs 10 points. Nothing for PBGs and LBGs.

I just made up the 10 point number, and it might be a little light considering your Crew requirements in Resource phase. Are those requirements per crewman? So a Vet/Vet CAV crew would cost 80 points total? or is that per pair?

If you go this way, you might want to require points to repair CAVs too. Perhaps every CAV gets one DT repaired for free, and after that it costs points.

Hmmmm.

PS

Perhaps for campaign play, a player could choose not to resupply the ammo weapons - but this would leave the unit with a chance to run out of ammo during the battle. Say, if the unit is not resupplied, any time they roll a "1" on the damage roll with a weapon, it has run dry.

This (obviously) cannot be "fixed" during the battle, but can be "fixed" simply by paying the full resupply cost afterward.

Another thing to think about: after the first session, shift the turn order. Instead of...

• Resource Phase

• Diplomacy phase

• Movement Phase

• Combat Phase

• End Phase

...continue playing at the end of the first session like so...

• Resource Phase

• Diplomacy phase

• Movement Phase

• Combat Phase

• End Phase

• Resource Phase

• Diplomacy phase

• Movement Phase

... so the next time you start out in the combat phase, and from then on the turns are...

• Combat Phase

• End Phase

• Resource Phase

• Diplomacy phase

• Movement Phase

... that way every session starts out with combat, and wraps up with some bookkeeping and strategizing.

Then rename the End phase since it's in the middle. :lol:

PS

Perhaps for campaign play, a player could choose not to resupply the ammo weapons - but this would leave the unit with a chance to run out of ammo during the battle. Say, if the unit is not resupplied, any time they roll a "1" on the damage roll with a weapon, it has run dry.

This (obviously) cannot be "fixed" during the battle, but can be "fixed" simply by paying the full resupply cost afterward.

This is the best idea I've heard so far. Give each CAV an upkeep cost, perhaps, and if you don't pay it, you run out on a DAM roll of 1.