This guy is a rad bad dude! Can't wait to see the progress.  

Athak or Kouraneth look like they have similar helmets--plan on swapping, or sculpting your own?

• Like 1

Oo, progress.

Now you got me wanting to try this. Always liked the character/action figure, and the WizKids prepaint was a bit of a disappoinment. Frankly, yours looks like it will be better.

Although the idea of trying to sculpt that helmet rather scares me.

• Like 2

WHAT? NO MORE PROGRESS? THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

The WOTC prepaint:

thumbnail_IMG_20180812_154156492.jpg.0768fa0a4d1f1da125a70a79533dcbb3.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20180812_154203092.jpg.06ccfa41632bde758da02c503ffd2ff9.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20180812_154209001.jpg.b664c932b5e19fbdaed77e19b82a7559.jpg I thought it was nice that they DID one, but I was never terribly crazy about how they DID it. In particular, he should be using that shield for defense, not as a counterweight to a roundhouse swing, durnit.

Do it better.

• Like 7

Thank you!

On 8/12/2018 at 3:36 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

Oo, progress.

Now you got me wanting to try this. Always liked the character/action figure, and the WizKids prepaint was a bit of a disappoinment. Frankly, yours looks like it will be better.

Although the idea of trying to sculpt that helmet rather scares me.

Thank you.

Trying to sculpt the helmet scares me, too.

So I'm gonna cheat.

22 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

WHAT? NO MORE PROGRESS? THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

The WOTC prepaint:

thumbnail_IMG_20180812_154156492.jpg.0768fa0a4d1f1da125a70a79533dcbb3.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20180812_154203092.jpg.06ccfa41632bde758da02c503ffd2ff9.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20180812_154209001.jpg.b664c932b5e19fbdaed77e19b82a7559.jpg I thought it was nice that they DID one, but I was never terribly crazy about how they DID it. In particular, he should be using that shield for defense, not as a counterweight to a roundhouse swing, durnit.

Do it better.

Patience good sir. More green stuff is drying as I type.

I haven't figured out a good way to do his shield bowl shaped, so that might be the one thing I go for 'close enough' with and just do it flat.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

...I haven't figured out a good way to do his shield bowl shaped, so that might be the one thing I go for 'close enough' with and just do it flat.

I think there was a post on Carmen's Fun Painty Time that advised flattening green stuff over a convex Citadel paint lid. Or you could use one of those thumbtacks (though I think that might be more of a buckler than a shield at this scale).  

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By odinsgrandson
      Ok, this is a mini that I made as a joke for a friend of mine. He GMs a lot of games, and has always been a bit fascinated by the fact that the Half Dragon template can be added to almost any kind of creature. Including ones that reproduce by dividing.
      Truly, the biology of dragons is a wonder.
      Anyway, he got to completely wreck the party with this Half Black Dragon Gelatinous Cube.
      I made it by combining some parts from an invisible dragon and gelatinous cube minis (both from Reaper’s Bones line). I used water effect for gap filling and a bit of sculpting, and added a little color with some thinned down paints. I wanted to give the impression that it picks up debris from the floor as it moves along.
      Except for the eyes, which are totally opaque so that they can show up. Seriously, I think they’re the only part that really shows up at all in the pictures, but you get the idea.

In an unrelated project for the same friend, I found a really strange bit that I think is supposed to be the head of a dragon, but seriously looks like a half dragon spider. So that got painted too.
      Man, dragons really make some poor choices.

• By Mothsniper
      Galladon, Male Wizard

This guy as it turns out can be disassemble into pieces!
      Win for me, because I hate detailed undercuts.

And I do not like the staff (fish/dragon)head.
      Does not fit the character imo.
      The red squiggly turned out verynice!

FINISHED here!

• By Glitterwolf
      Artisan Guild 3D Design.
      Printed on my Elegoo Mars.

Part of my Horde of the North Project.
      WIP here:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79398-horde-of-the-north-glitterwolf-paints-barbarians-and-mammoths/&tab=comments#comment-1686478

Here she is.
      For those interested she is a free sample on Thingieverse.

• By Peithetairos
      My next project is another ranger. I already have a cool male elf ranger, but thought it might be nice to add a female version. So going through the Bones minis I came across Nienna.

Unfortunately her face detail was very shallow and detail was overall a bit hit and miss. I love the pose, though.

Out comes the scalpel, greenstuff and bitz box.

Two evening sessions later I swapped the head and weapon, shaved away some of the front detail and resculpted the area.

I am not entirely finished yet, but soon I can establish the base colours. 

• By Vytau
      So here is one of two converted Kang, Half-Orcs (02514) I've done.  Pretty sure I posted the other one around here somewhere...maybe I'll try to dig it up later for a side-by-side. 

Anyway, here goes:  

Kang Half-Orc converted to carry a Reaper Bow in his left hand  and a battleaxe in his right (the plastic Bones 3 weapon sprues).  Also has a shield (a GW bit from a really old Brettonian knight) and a GW quiver (Mordheim / Empire free company).   Shield painted purple and yellow because I like color and I get bored painting "realistic" neutrals & darks & such.  As always, my mini photography skills are complete butt thanks in part to using a really cheap light box and a really cheap camera phone.  

99% reaper paints:  Olive triad mixed with scholar flesh, pure black and white, woodland brown, ashen brown, white metal triad, various washes. 

This mini actually has kind of a weird story.  

This mini represents my character Zarkosh Bowyer in a short Wildemount campaign.  This campaign is being played 100% online thanks to COVID-19, so he is 100% unnecessary.  Same goes for another mini I painted (Duke Gerard in Bones and Metal) which was for a DIFFERENT 100% online campaign.  But that's only part of the backstory. 

I actually BOUGHT this miniature back in like 2004.  I bought two of him - my friend & roommate and I decided to play Barbarian brothers from the same tribe.  I converted and painted mine to carry a war hammer and a shield.  My roommate never got around to doing anything with his, and so it went back in my "Someday" box.  

For sixteen years. 

Anyway, I finally got around to doing something with the mini - hopefully, Zarkosh does better in this campaign than the previous character incarnating the mini did in his!  

May come back and tidy up some edges & half-tones, may not.  Don't know how much more time I want to give this one.  Probably won't get TONS better than it is now, so here we go. 

• Who's Online   8 Members, 2 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)