1 hour ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I'm kind of curious how you're going to solve the color problem.

In the initial pictures you posted, Warduke's helmet, shoulder piece, and mail is BLUE.

This is feasible in the pictures, because they are cartoons. This is feasible in the action figure, because he's an action figure. 

Aaaand in the WOTC figure, and Wayne Reynolds' art, his helmet and armor is ... metallic silver. It took away some of the magic for me.

Are you going to go with metallics? NMM? Blue? The suspense is killin' me.

A dark gunmetal with a midnight blue wash and some metallic drybrushing might get the desired blued-steel result, what with all the texture. Or mix up some really dark blue with pearlescent metallic paint to make blue metal from scratch--it would be a metal not of this earth!! but that's the sort of thing that pops up surprisingly often in D&D. 

That sword is 100% on-brand and the helmet's looking good. 

• Like 3

Now wishes there were head swap conversion kits to turn normal specs Orcs into Pig-Faced Orcs.  :rock:

Edited by TGP
just when I thought I had autocorrupt subdued...
  • Like 4

@Chaoswolf about the blue metal and such. Take a look at Scale 75  their metal paint sets.

I have those and paints like Cobalt Blue , Emerald Green etc are very useful for this.

• Like 3

On 8/19/2018 at 3:51 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

I'm kind of curious how you're going to solve the color problem.

In the initial pictures you posted, Warduke's helmet, shoulder piece, and mail is BLUE.

This is feasible in the pictures, because they are cartoons. This is feasible in the action figure, because he's an action figure. 

Aaaand in the WOTC figure, and Wayne Reynolds' art, his helmet and armor is ... metallic silver. It took away some of the magic for me.

Are you going to go with metallics? NMM? Blue? The suspense is killin' me.

I'm going to try for a balance between 'realistic' (Yes, I'm fully aware we're talking about a fantasy figure...) and the bright cartoony colors.

On 8/19/2018 at 5:56 PM, Rigel said:

A dark gunmetal with a midnight blue wash and some metallic drybrushing might get the desired blued-steel result, what with all the texture. Or mix up some really dark blue with pearlescent metallic paint to make blue metal from scratch--it would be a metal not of this earth!! but that's the sort of thing that pops up surprisingly often in D&D. 

That sword is 100% on-brand and the helmet's looking good. 

This is sort of the way I'm thinking of going.

Thanks!

17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

@Chaoswolf about the blue metal and such. Take a look at Scale 75  their metal paint sets.

I have those and paints like Cobalt Blue , Emerald Green etc are very useful for this.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to look into those for future projects. I don't have any, and there's no way they'll get here in time if I order them.

Almost done building!

The spikes are sewing pins (BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!)

I managed to make a necklace/amulet that I don't think looks too horrible

And I finished up the shoulder armor.

We're in the home stretch now; I should be able to start painting in the next day or two. :winkthumbs:

20180820_163936.thumb.jpg.8891c6e765e4580dc7cef16b579397e2.jpg

20180820_163952.thumb.jpg.9c13e9b20e3f6fb20dfdf121e04b3bc4.jpg

20180820_164002.thumb.jpg.4413967889eb7a1c722b7aa097f580d7.jpg

I couple of not so great shots of his shield. This will be the one part of the figure that'll have to be 'good enough' since it's just flat, and all the artwork shows it as bowl shaped. I think it'll still look pretty good when he's all painted up, though.

20180820_164134.thumb.jpg.33eaacdf9833a03b07104c4057f232c7.jpg

20180820_164205.thumb.jpg.7a4374a9a6d3ba372851e5602535fec0.jpg

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 21

Looking great! Yes to some very light glazing! Just be very gentle with it and make sure your glaze is very thin, test it before you put it on the model to make sure it’s not too heavy and make sure you wick out the moisture on a paper towel. You’ve got some really great definition there with the shading. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this