Sign in to follow this  
HuyDucTran

Round Bones Ground Sculpts for Easy Basing

Hi all, I'm not sure if this has ever been discussed, but does anyone know if Reaper has ever discussed/considered making the Bones ground sculpts that support the miniature the perfect circumference to be flush for 1" or 2" or 3" for RPG bases? Even for just the smaller miniatures that would fit 1" or 2" bases and not the large-sized ones?

It seems like there would be a big portion of the market that would love a miniature you don't have to do special basing for besides supergluing it to a base considering how great some of the sculpted ground looks already. Basing miniatures by removing the nice ground sculpts from Reaper or trying to figure out how to obscure/blend in the sculpted ground is one of my biggest pet peeves about this hobby and I feel like there must be others who feel the same.

Edited by HuyDucTran
  • Like 1

The whole reason behind the " broccoli"  base (as it's known as) was for simple placement onto a map for rpgs. 

Since I place all of my figures on bases (round or square) I know the feeling. Generally all it takes a few simple snips with a sprue cutter & they fit. Heck I can even get Tre Manor's wide stance figures on 1 inch bases. Lol. 

Werner Klocke's sculpts definitely benefit from being on a plastic base due to tiny base they come. I'm not sure if Reaper added anything to those when they made them into Bones as I tend to ignore Bones WK minis. 

• Like 2

I like the combination of Reaper's RPG Bases and Bones. Because they have vertical edges you can use them right side up or upside down.   What I do is flip the base upside down, and glue the figure into the bottom of the base (sometimes I will use thin sheets of plasticard to raise it up to make the feet level with the edge of the base.   I then fill the rest of the cavity in with putty - I typically use Pro-create or Magic Sculpt, but I don't think there is any reason that an air dry clay wouldn't work either. 

Here's some examples of finished pieces:
http://chris.heismann.net/minis/IMG_2096.JPG

Sorry I don't have any pictures of ones in progress. All of those guys stil have all or most of their integrated base, it's just glued inside of the RPG base.  The only one of those that was hard to do was the captain (the guy with two swords), because he was metal.  I don't recall if I trimmed down his base to fit inside the base, or if I removed his integrated base entirely, and used the RPG base right side up. 

It's real easy with most Bones figures, because even if the integrated base is slightly too big, it's generally easy enough to snip them to size to fit within the cavity of the upside down base.  End result is a "standard sized" base, and often without a lot of work. 

Sometimes I'll get fancy, and use putty or other items to extend a pattern or design already on the integrated base - for example, on 77387: Lanelle, Half-elf Rogue, I extended out the rubble she's standing on using putty and rocks. On another model, I extended out the brickwork on the base into the putty.

• Like 7

Can't agree with @kristof65 more.  When it first occurred to me to use the Reaper RPG bases upside down, it created so may ideas for making bases.  My favorite is that they automatically create a bowl to contain water effects without needing to build the normal retaining walls.

• Like 5

Thanks @haldir, @kristof65, and @Clearman--those suggestions really help, especially with the upside down bases.

I still can't help, but believe there's someplace on the market for these miniatures to be "plug-and-play" by having the sculpted broccoli's circumference just be the perfect circle though.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2018 at 6:12 PM, HuyDucTran said:

Thanks @haldir, @kristof65, and @Clearman--those suggestions really help, especially with the upside down bases.

I still can't help, but believe there's someplace on the market for these miniatures to be "plug-and-play" by having the sculpted broccoli's circumference just be the perfect circle though.

The original purpose was so that you can use the figures (they will be stable enough on their own) with out needing to add a base.  Reaper has many customers that (sacrilege!) don't base their minis at all.  By having the integrated base big enough to support that, it is easy enough for us that want to cut it away to do so.  So perhaps making the change for one market could cost them some of another.  Or that's my guess.  Pretty sure Reaper has already thought or it and made a decision based upon their research/sales numbers.

Because we do not make our miniatures for a specific game we have never worried about making bases a certain size.  When we started we made integral bases that would support the model.  Later to cut down on metal (as it rose in price) we reduced the bases as much as possible but still tried to make them able to support the model in most cases.  Some models end up needing an extra base anyway as making an integral base would just make the model much more expensive.  As they are all model kits we assume many folks will be adding or modifying the bases anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ReaperClark said:

Because we do not make our miniatures for a specific game we have never worried about making bases a certain size. 

I'll say. :devil:  That's not to belittle or complain, just an observation. I honestly don't care, like you said, they're basically kits, and I'm a modeler. 

But it really hit home a few months ago when I was looking at my numerous (like 30-60 - I've lost count) Bones Kobolds and had the idea to design a standard 20mm round base that I could print on my 3d printer that would easily mesh with the flagstone pattern already on their bases, and just glue them in.  Presto - instant 20mm standard base size for all my kobolds - no putty work required. 

Yeah, that didn't last long when I started measuring and found out there were something like 4-5 different sizes of base among the sculpts. It's now obvious that Ben Siens was probably just eyeballing the base sizes when he did the 02470: Kobold Raiders all those years ago.  Overall there is really not that big of a variation, but enough to mean I'm still going to have to do some putty work OR I'm going to have to design a separate base for each Kobold sculpt when I finally get around to that project. If I ever do. 

• Like 2

On 8/16/2018 at 9:33 AM, kristof65 said:

I like the combination of Reaper's RPG Bases and Bones. Because they have vertical edges you can use them right side up or upside down.   What I do is flip the base upside down, and glue the figure into the bottom of the base (sometimes I will use thin sheets of plasticard to raise it up to make the feet level with the edge of the base.   I then fill the rest of the cavity in with putty - I typically use Pro-create or Magic Sculpt, but I don't think there is any reason that an air dry clay wouldn't work either. 

Here's some examples of finished pieces:
http://chris.heismann.net/minis/IMG_2096.JPG

Sorry I don't have any pictures of ones in progress. All of those guys stil have all or most of their integrated base, it's just glued inside of the RPG base.  The only one of those that was hard to do was the captain (the guy with two swords), because he was metal.  I don't recall if I trimmed down his base to fit inside the base, or if I removed his integrated base entirely, and used the RPG base right side up. 

It's real easy with most Bones figures, because even if the integrated base is slightly too big, it's generally easy enough to snip them to size to fit within the cavity of the upside down base.  End result is a "standard sized" base, and often without a lot of work. 

Sometimes I'll get fancy, and use putty or other items to extend a pattern or design already on the integrated base - for example, on 77387: Lanelle, Half-elf Rogue, I extended out the rubble she's standing on using putty and rocks. On another model, I extended out the brickwork on the base into the putty.

this is brilliant.