Try spray coating it in watered down pva (you can buy a sprayer and already watered down pva at any hobby train store, or water it down yourself and use any sprayer you don't mind dedicating to glue - just wash it after each use and store the glue separately). After the PVA sets you should be able to use rattle cans on it without it eating the foam at all.

• Like 7
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Breaking out of the long period of almost nothing hobby related. Finally decided to work on a castle. Spent some time figuring out what dimensions I wanted for a gate house, towers and walls. I'm plan

Thanks for the tip, @malefactus. If we have room in the van tomorrow I'll try to grab some. 3/16" or 1/4" would give me even more options. Right now I'm using 3mm mdf for things about that thickness b

I've watched some of Black Magic Crafts videos. I've done the balled up aluminum on foam core after peeling the paper off. On the insulation foam it doesn't work as well because it's tougher. I have t

Posted Images

Little bit of work this evening. The partially assembled gatehouse front and back. I already cut a slot for a portcullis on the front. Trying to decide if I want a second one on the inside or make a wooden gate. Need to make the battlements for the D towers, cut crenelations in the straight battlements and smooth up/sand the joints so they fit better. Oh and do the portcullis and gates.

IMG_6171.thumb.JPG.f7477be348bd0c738b6b6800fcfcdc63.JPGIMG_6172.thumb.JPG.0df97b4c43714cdfbd5c3e845561484a.JPG

I keep going at this rate I'll soon just have a ton of brickwork to etch in and painting.

• Like 12

Want to finish the assembly of the gatehouse this evening. I want the outer view to look something like this.

old-castle-door-drawbridge-22240916.jpg

Trying to decide if I want a set of doors right behind the portcullis, just a set on the inner side of the gate or 2 sets. I'll make them so they open and close. The portcullis is designed be raised and lowered already. 

• Like 10
2 hours ago, Pragma said:

This looks great, and good idea to make it modular. 

Have you checked out black magic craft on youtube? He has a lot of tips for working with foam. One of them is to texture the foam with balled up aluminum foil.

Also, in the spirit of modularity, why not make removable sets of doors?

I've watched some of Black Magic Crafts videos. I've done the balled up aluminum on foam core after peeling the paper off. On the insulation foam it doesn't work as well because it's tougher. I have tried beating the foam with a sharp rock for some cliffs and I've seen it as a tip for doing ruined brick work. For this I think I'm going to use the speckle stone spray paint. Here's a couple photos of the first wall piece.

IMG_6177.thumb.JPG.c9b3b0245f4fbd0d59196b2b9fba0e7c.JPGIMG_6178.thumb.JPG.dedf9c104cb2444ad7e446a3374b67a2.JPG

Maybe need to do a little touch up work on some of the lines but overall I'm liking it. And this is a dead simple and fast way to get it painted. If I don't go crazy etching the brickwork it shouldn't be too long to do it.

On the topic of modularity, I'm thinking of doing a bunch of doors and arrow slits that could be attached where and when needed. I'm not sure how to do it but rare earth magnets just popped into my head. I've never used them but if they aren't so strong that they pull out it could work. Stick a magnet in each place that might have an opening and paint over it.

Next a few photos of the assembled castle. Just a lot of details the etch in and paint. Oh, and add an inch of height to the corner towers.

IMG_6173.thumb.JPG.ecdfc8c6180cc8c3b463e5ef54e14faa.JPGIMG_6174.thumb.JPG.e4597d290ef80713c757fb7719c09d6a.JPGIMG_6175.thumb.JPG.842ad9e2d11892457281858af80c7bab.JPG

A unit of GW silverhelms riding by to show the scale of the gate. The white thing in the gate is a chunk of foam core that I'll carve into the portcullis. I think I've decided to go with only one set of doors on the inner wall. Need to polish the doorways some and make the doors. Pretty happy with how it's coming along.

IMG_6176.JPG

• Like 18
11 hours ago, Zink said:

On the topic of modularity, I'm thinking of doing a bunch of doors and arrow slits that could be attached where and when needed. I'm not sure how to do it but rare earth magnets just popped into my head. I've never used them but if they aren't so strong that they pull out it could work. Stick a magnet in each place that might have an opening and paint over it.

Rare earth magnets work well, but are very strong. If you embed a magnet on one side, you can just embed a piece of metal like a piece of paper clip on the other side and it will be strong enough to hold foam into place.

12 hours ago, Pragma said:

Rare earth magnets work well, but are very strong. If you embed a magnet on one side, you can just embed a piece of metal like a piece of paper clip on the other side and it will be strong enough to hold foam into place.

I think I have some magnetic sheet that you can cut with scissors somewhere. Maybe glue a piece of it to the back of the door/whatever and some sort of metal embedded into the walls. It's not very strong but I'm thinking the doors won't be heavy. Need to see what I have on hand to try out.

Added an inch of height to the for corner towers tonight and painted the one tower that had brick work. No pics for now.

• Like 1
On 8/30/2018 at 7:24 AM, Zink said:

I may try that out if I can find a sprayer.

You can get cheap sprayer bottles at Wal-Mart in the cosmetics section.

If you want to spend a little more for a higher capacity and  more powerful sprayer go to the cleaning supplies section.

Whatever you use, make sure you clean it extremely thoroughly each time or you will be learning how to disassemble the sprayer head and clean the nozzle with a needle.  Either that or treating them as a disposable item, which can get expensive if you are doing a large project over a period of time.

PVA glue isn't expensive and it's easy to dilute it for applications where you don't want it full strength.  So save your empty glue bottles and use them for dilute glues at various ratios.  Thined out enough it can be used for holding down ground cover such as static grass or sand on diorama bases.  For large areas you can use a cheap/disposable paintbrush to quickly seal or prep for ground cover on big areas.

GEM

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Warlady said:

What a project!  It is looking really great - I really appreciate all the step-by-step and pictures.  I have Castle Envy!

This has been something I've wanted to do for a very long time. Dreamt of having a nice castle since I was a kid. Did a couple aborted attempts over the years but this one is turning out good. Worse comes to worse I've already got a playable castle. It's going to take some time but the material costs I think might end up around $15-20 except spray paint. Thinking this may take a few more cans.

After looking at my painted tower and wall section together the colour doesn't match because I started painting the wall brown as a base coat. To save time I think I'll skip that for the rest. Also need to do some crack filling on some of the pieces before painting. The walls don't need it but the towers are made of more pieces that don't always fit as good. I'm doing this pretty fast and I'm not the most accurate carpenter at the best of times. I may take the too dark wall chunk and destroy it to make a breached section. I think I can get 2 breaches out of it. For now I'm just going to continue on with what I have. This is all kind of new for me so I'm experimenting a bit as I go trying to figure out what looks good but is fast.

I'm done almost all the building now just need to make the doors for the gate and portcullis. The rest is details and paint. Trying to decide if I just want to go with printed doors and windows or craft and paint them. Either way they'll be made out of foam core. Printing will be faster but making them from scratch wouldn't be hard either. What I've done in the past for buildings was print cardstock buildings onto label paper and then glue that to foam core. Fast and makes very sturdy buildings. Could do the same thing for doors and windows instead of trying to carve them into the castle.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I hadn't expected it to be so big!

That's what she said! ::P: 

Seriously though it did end up bigger than originally planned. I started with the gate, decided how big I wanted it to be and then designed the gate house around that. The rest was made to look ok next to the gate house. If you use a scale of 1" = 5' it's fairly close in size to some medium castles in real life. The good part about it is that I can shrink it down to 17" square if I just want a small keep. No progress yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
13 hours ago, kristof65 said:

It's looking really good Zink.  Much better than my attempt. 

If you want some ideas on various section types, here's the post on mine:
http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/27481-building-a-modular-fortress-out-of-foam-core/&do=findComment&comment=1465313

Yours turned out pretty nice too. A lot similar thinking to what I'm doing. For now I just want a couple breaches and to finish what I've got going. In the future I may do some 45 degree wall sections or other sizes of towers. Lots of stuff I could do but need to keep my focus on finishing what I've already got.

Need to assemble and paint the catapult you sent me too. Seems a fitting addition.

Edited by Zink
  • Like 4