Not a lot of progress lately due to harvest and annoyances. It rained this afternoon so got a bit more done. Was in the neighbouring town for swather parts and forgot to go to the hardware store and get more specklestone paint. They don't have it here. I I finished detailing a tower and couple more wall sections. Sure enough as soon as I started spraying them the can went empty.

Progress to date.

1 tower and 2 wall sections completely finished.

1 tower and 1 wall section waiting for paint.

2 towers and 6 walls sections to be detailed.

Gatehouse needs gates, portcullis and details.

My year old daughter wanted to see the one unpainted wall section so I let her have it. She gave it a good test for structural integrity. She had a lot of fun flipping it around and crawling on it for about 10 minutes. I figure if it'll handle that it'll take being played with on the table.

• Like 10
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Breaking out of the long period of almost nothing hobby related. Finally decided to work on a castle. Spent some time figuring out what dimensions I wanted for a gate house, towers and walls. I'm plan

Thanks for the tip, @malefactus. If we have room in the van tomorrow I'll try to grab some. 3/16" or 1/4" would give me even more options. Right now I'm using 3mm mdf for things about that thickness b

I've watched some of Black Magic Crafts videos. I've done the balled up aluminum on foam core after peeling the paper off. On the insulation foam it doesn't work as well because it's tougher. I have t

Posted Images

I'm definitely going to try a game with it sometime this winter. I'll try to take some pics to show when I do.

Lot of other stuff going on lately so not much progress. Found a store nearby with the paint I need which is good. I've finished a few more pieces. Castle's about 1/4 finished. I'm getting faster and more accurate doing brickwork but it's still tedious. Need to start thinking more about what I''l do for doors and windows/arrow slits.

Dang it. I was in a city by myself for business today and couldn't think of what I wanted. Should have looked for some small magnets. Oh well, the wife wants to go to a bigger city on the weekend. Just when travelling with the whole clan I don't always get to look for stuff I want.

• Like 2

GW actually used to sell arrow slits for fortifications in blister packs. I'm not sure if they still do but if you could find some old ones for cheap they might be worth picking up. I picked some up quite awhile ago but haven't got around to building any fortifications yet.20180914_001442.thumb.jpg.ee2fb772ba0933f4f6efff6ed07c2482.jpg

Please don't judge my unpainted Sir Forscale to harshly, he is primed I just haven't gotten around to painting him yet.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I can't even list all my unpainted minis and they see action once in awhile that way so no judging here. Those are nice pieces. Right now what I'm thinking of is making them out of foamcore. Shouldn't be too difficult. Those actually give me a good idea for the basic design. Hoping to get a bit of time for working on this tonight.

• Like 2

Quick update photo. Got a bit of work done on it today. Did the brickwork on the closer wall sections and tower. Spray painted them after taking this picture but it seems to take a very long time to dry so no photo yet of that.

IMG_6180.thumb.JPG.b3ebca07e3677b186f838a1f45c8318b.JPG

6 wall sections and 3 corner towers finished.

3 wall sections, 1 corner tower and the gate house to finish.

• Like 12
On 9/13/2018 at 11:16 PM, Rat13 said:

GW actually used to sell arrow slits for fortifications in blister packs. I'm not sure if they still do but if you could find some old ones for cheap they might be worth picking up. I picked some up quite awhile ago but haven't got around to building any fortifications yet.20180914_001442.thumb.jpg.ee2fb772ba0933f4f6efff6ed07c2482.jpg

Please don't judge my unpainted Sir Forscale to harshly, he is primed I just haven't gotten around to painting him yet.

Those would be super easy to recreate using Plastruct Patterned Sheet in one of their stone block patterns.  Score along the block seams and snap to get to the shape you want and then cut the slit with a dremel.  Of course you could probably just score the insulation sheet even easier or make yourself a tool that is shaped like the slit and press form the slits in the foam.

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 5

Woke up early today and had some time so I finished off another couple wall sections and started to make a door. So in my last pic the unfinished stuff is 1 tower, the short wall and the gatehouse. 3/4 finished. Took about an hour to do the bricks on 2 long wall sections. The door is simple and kind of crude looking made from foam core. Once I finish painting it I'll show a photo.

One other thought I had is that I like having the towers and walls butt up next to eachother like in my photo. That gives the towers an overhang in front of the walls. But I had originally thought that doors in the towers would give access to the parapet and now there's no room for doors. So I may make a couple sets of free standing stairs to get from the courtyard to the walls.

• Like 3

Got some more done today. Only 2 pieces left to finish. One of the big gatehouse towers and the gate itself. Couldn't find little magnets when I was in the city but bought some magnetic strips instead. I used a leather punch to cut some little buttons out and glued those to the back of my door and arrow slit test pieces. I stuck a pin into the tower where I wanted the doors or windows to go. Seems to hold good enough for my purposes. May experiment a bit more with this.

IMG_6184.thumb.JPG.fd88f48969a41017bcf4355a5f6d4b12.JPG

IMG_6185.thumb.JPG.7995b42a061a89958c4e220f0610ac09.JPG

Need to make 10 doors and twice that many windows. Also need to finish the portcullis and main gates. Almost forgot that I'll want trap doors for all the towers too.

Also had an interesting accident. I could feel the tip on my versa tool was coming loose. I only had a tiny bit to finish then and my pliers were upstairs so I just kept working. The tip feel off and landed on my wall. I tried to pull it quick with some tweezers but all I did was shove it deeper. It ended up sinking about an inch into the wall sliding sideways making a big hole. I had to cut a big chunk out of the wall to get my tip back. Glued the chunk back on and stuffed it full of crack filler and painted it.

Almost done the basic castle. Then I think I'll work on something else for a bit before doing some alternate accessories. Need to get some siege equipment made to help destroy this big boy.

• Like 12

Got a bunch done today. Amazing how much you can do when you skip work and ignore the wife. :devil: All of the walls and towers are done except I'm waiting for paint to dry on the main gate so I can work on the portcullis and gates. I was worried that I'd run out of paint before finishing but I just made it.

I've been playing around with doors for the towers and am satisfied with what I'm doing for them. Not as happy with the arrow slits and was thinking of a different option. I've been trying out options for attaching the doors and arrow slits to the towers so that they can be added when and where we want them. For as often as I'd want different configurations it might just be easier to make more towers with the doors on other sides. Little magnets on the doors and windows and pins in the walls seems to work ok and not difficult to do.

A pic with the tower on it's side just showing how the arrow slits would look and my final door design.

IMG_6186.thumb.JPG.c0113b1cb3c3f9774fcb22bf67c8267d.JPG

Main thing bugging me about the arrow slits is how thick they are. Thought about using different material like this.

IMG_6187.thumb.JPG.884d08c21b7b45d3a4f51f326ddd553e.JPG

Probably just fussing over nothing. It's not like the castle is a great work of art. It's built to be rugged and playable. If I can make the paint on the arrow slits match the walls better it'll probably do.

More pics of the whole thing once the paint dries on the last 2 pieces.

• Like 9

That would be dead simple. I had thought of doing it that way but decided to make it harder on myself by having it more modular. May still do it that way. I could stick them in the spots where the doors will cover them when a wall is attached.  Sort of like I was already doing with swappable doors and arrow slits. Need to take a look at how it would work.

• Like 2

A pile of photos showing off the nearly finished castle. Not the best quality but they give you an idea of it all. First up the four sides.

IMG_6188.thumb.JPG.c559a837dbbd9b672b94642bbc990b34.JPG

IMG_6191.thumb.JPG.4577d6c5db88a2af4cf2a038defc7518.JPGIMG_6190.thumb.JPG.dac13cb3915ed35a5ebfbe1be5803aac.JPGIMG_6189.thumb.JPG.f4ae55a59edcc7a5cde14172b46ba7ba.JPG

Next some dwarves guarding the open gates. Probably because the portcullis and gates aren't built yet.

IMG_6192.thumb.JPG.f95d9104ea256cf83a23df7773ee23fb.JPG

Sorceress fighting a dragon on the gate tower and dragon in front of the castle.

IMG_6194.thumb.JPG.3e6490a14da76efc4b700b89d6625858.JPG

IMG_6195.thumb.JPG.76088a313a6c81dae1aec65d9198e5e6.JPG

• Like 12

Then I was explaining to the wife why I wanted to do it modular and threw out a couple quick shapes. I had no idea that it fit the width of the ping pong table so perfectly when designing it.

IMG_6197.thumb.JPG.e56473aa7481ce632025e61074d2a548.JPG

IMG_6198.thumb.JPG.7283647abd1b97b1f5a1d98cb462107d.JPG

Had thoughts of adding a bunch of other optional wall pieces when I started. Now that I see how big it turned out I'm not sure I want much more. Would still like to do a gate with a drawbridge and a couple 45 degree wall sections. Might wimp out and just do a couple little 45 degree blocks instead of whole walls. Will definitely do a couple breached wall sections and another section with the short D tower like to the right of the gates in the last pic. Need to finish up the doors and then do something else for a bit. Not the prettiest thing I've ever done but I like it.

• Like 12

More drizzly cold weather so I'm still spending more time in the house than I'd planned. Got a little more done. Half a dozen doors painted and another half a dozen cut out and detailed. Portcullis made and first layer of paint on it. 1 Siege ladder for the attacker made. Master of the hot glue gun I am not. It doesn't get much easier to make and I still managed to get glue everywhere and almost burn myself. :unsure: Cut out a piece for the inner gates and have been trying to figure out how to hinge them. Would really like to have them open and close. Got a couple ideas to try out but if any of you have advice I'm listening. Gates are going to be made out of foamboard same as the doors.

Because my mind is usually about 2-3 steps ahead of whatever I'm actually working on I'm already drawing up plans for a covered ram and mantlets for the attackers. Ladders are simple enough and if I don't manage to seriously injure myself with the hot glue gun I'll have a handful of them. I will do a siege tower as well eventually. Need to spend some time on a siege scenario because I'm really wanting to play with this now that it's almost done. Oldest son says he's up for a battle. If I give the castle a decent garrison I may have to use almost all my other armies for the attackers to make it balanced.

• Like 5