40 minutes ago, Zink said:

Cut out a piece for the inner gates and have been trying to figure out how to hinge them. Would really like to have them open and close.

Sent you a slightly more detailed PM but think about either hinges for remote control aircraft or dollhouse hinges.

• Like 3
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Breaking out of the long period of almost nothing hobby related. Finally decided to work on a castle. Spent some time figuring out what dimensions I wanted for a gate house, towers and walls. I'm plan

Thanks for the tip, @malefactus. If we have room in the van tomorrow I'll try to grab some. 3/16" or 1/4" would give me even more options. Right now I'm using 3mm mdf for things about that thickness b

I've watched some of Black Magic Crafts videos. I've done the balled up aluminum on foam core after peeling the paper off. On the insulation foam it doesn't work as well because it's tougher. I have t

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Zink said:

IMG_6191.thumb.JPG.4577d6c5db88a2af4cf2a038defc7518.JPG

Not to be critical but it seems to me you already have a premade castle (It looks to be pretty big too).

All jokes aside this looks great and you've given me quite a few good ideas if I ever get around to building a castle.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Rat13 said:

Not to be critical but it seems to me you already have a premade castle (It looks to be pretty big too).

All jokes aside this looks great and you've given me quite a few good ideas if I ever get around to building a castle.

You mean the big one in the background. That is a girly castle and the boys aren't allowed to play with it. My younger son has a bunch of Roblox figures and we were playing with them on the table using my wargame terrain. When we cleaned up he thought that would be a good place for them. The evil queen swept in and said he couldn't keep them there. First person to tell my wife I called her the evil queen dies slowly. She's waiting for our daughter to get old enough for it. Erifnograd has it right too, I need a castle for each of my armies because they all have their own style.... I do want to make a small roman fort and some goblin walls someday but nothing this big.

Finished the portcullis. Original plan was to stick a craft/popsicle stick to it to raise and lower through the top. Undecided if I will or not but it can be added anytime.

IMG_6199.thumb.JPG.5a051aea73cc2ac0259dd9a800639952.JPG

And a pic of the unpainted gates. Used this method for making the hinges. http://a28mmbrain.blogspot.com/2013/05/hinges-2-fully-working-bead-type.html

IMG_6200.thumb.JPG.6fe1b6562b47a8e28ba0bcdf77115ad3.JPG

Should I put a crossbar on the gate?

• Like 10
4 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

I say yes.

Good enough for me because I was leaning that way anyhow. I think a match stick would work and I have some other stuff if it's too short. Just need to make some little brackets to hold it.

• Like 3

Added a crossbar last night. I'm hoping the brackets hold because the glue I used is drying out on me. If they fall off I'll just use a glob of hot glue. The match sticks were a bit short and wimpy looking so I used a small chunk of dowelling. As somebody who has experience with lugging around building materials this might take an ogre to put it in place but what the hey. The gate was made big enough for ogre sized minis to walk through. I also need to think about how much detail I want on the opposite side of the doors. Not sure if I want to peel off the paper on both sides but think it would work. As long as they are shut you can't really see the side in the middle of the gatehouse but when they're open it's the most visible part. Should really have done that before  I glued on the crossbar brackets but it's still doable. Nice that they are removable.

If I can decide what I'm doing with arrow slits I could be finished this thing today. It needs more paint in spots but my last can ran out so that'll have to wait until the next time I go by that hardware store. Hope they've restocked by now because I bought all they had then. One thing I found out fast was that it was much better to do multiple thin layers of paint. The paint was pretty slow drying too so it took some time between layers.

I was thinking about the costs of the castle. I didn't keep track of everything but this is a rough guesstimate in canadian dollars. $20 of 2" thick insulation, $5 of 1/2" insulation, $30 of spray paint (more likely $40 by the time I finish) and a dollar or so max of other odds and ends. And I think maybe 20 hours of labour. Other than the paint I already had everything on hand because I've wanted to do something like this forever and was using it on other projects. 

Starting on the list of siege accessories because this needs to be used as soon as possible. I'll make a seperate thread for them.

• Like 6
On 9/17/2018 at 9:24 PM, Zink said:

I could stick them in the spots where the doors will cover them when a wall is attached.  Sort of like I was already doing with swappable doors and arrow slits. Need to take a look at how it would work.

That's what I did on my modular castle.  I just put windows everywhere, and then made doors that would fit into them.  

It's looking really good.  Can't wait to see that elven catapult take down one of those walls. ::D:

• Like 2

Didn't get as much as I thought done yesterday but very close to finished. Gates are almost painted and I finished a bunch of doors. Another rainy day so I may get done today.

25 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

That's what I did on my modular castle.  I just put windows everywhere, and then made doors that would fit into them.  

It's looking really good.  Can't wait to see that elven catapult take down one of those walls. ::D:

Your elf catapult has been sitting on my table ever since I got it about 2nd or 3rd in line to do. I'm hoping I'll get to it pretty quick.

• Like 2

Finished gate and some pics with the tower doors leaning in place. Might need to make a few more doors depending on how many I want going in and out of the gate towers. Just need to decide on the door and window attachments to finish it off. Last one shows the top of the gate with the slot where I can stick a popsicle stick to the portcullis if I want. Should paint the crossbar too.

IMG_6203.JPG

IMG_6204.JPG

IMG_6205.JPG

IMG_6206.JPG

IMG_6207.JPG

IMG_6208.JPG

Forgot that I need some trap doors for the tower tops. 

• Like 13

Great progress!

This has lots of potential.

If you ever want to populate the Castle, Mirlinton has some nice market stalls with medieval people and Fenryll has some as well.

You could put some in the square to sell fish/meat/fruits etc.

Bones has some great civilian types as well these days.

• Like 3

Yeah, it's bit hard to find gamers near me. Wish I still had the group of friends from 20 years ago living nearby. Almost nothing painted and crappy terrain back then but we played every week.

Oops, got back from the town where I buy the spray paint for the castle and realised I totally forgot to look and see if they had more in stock now. :blush: Ah well, I'm there every week or two anyhow. The castle got packed away for a bit because there's a bunch of preschool rugrats coming for a party this afternoon.

• Like 4