Sign in to follow this  
zoroaster100

Shadowsea Sea Dragon Mosasaur

After two years of not painting, I finally started again last week. Last week I painted the Reaper Froghemoth, which I have not yet posted (need to finish the base). Today I spent about an hour and a half working on this guy, the Shadowsea Sea Dragon or mosasaur. It still needs some work, not to mention painting the water splashing around it. Suggestions for improvement welcome.

4E9A5A21-B4CC-4839-980A-86D8ACC31967.jpeg

A7E52C99-F146-4870-83C1-600C1A93328C.jpeg

8ED9A447-E274-48DA-838C-8E389B2BEDE6.jpeg

• Like 15

Love the scales and facial expression! Since he's bursting out of the water, you might consider a gloss coat and maybe a very subtle blue-green wash.

Am also eager to hear good water painting tips! all I know is lots of blending blues and greens, with low areas  dark, high areas lighter teal, and white drybrushed wave crests.

• Like 4

I think it looks awesome!

Maybe a tad more highlighting, but it looks great as is!

Love the eyes!

Thanks for the feedback!  I plan to paint the water next, and then come back to the creature to add a bit more shadows and highlights.  I am considering doing a little gloss to make it look wet, but I'm concerned about messing it up.  I may try it in very limited areas close to the water to see how it looks first.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zoroaster100 said:

Thanks for the feedback!  I plan to paint the water next, and then come back to the creature to add a bit more shadows and highlights.  I am considering doing a little gloss to make it look wet, but I'm concerned about messing it up.  I may try it in very limited areas close to the water to see how it looks first.

You could also use a little still water effects to create some drops and such when it rises out of the water.

• Like 1

wow he looks great! I painted a similar miniature years and years ago. At ifrst I thought they were the same miniature, but comparing them, they just have the same pose but different designs

Spoiler

post-12758-0-47919500-1419363088_thumb.jpgpost-12758-0-29903200-1419363105_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I did my first attempt at painting the water.  Thoughts on how to improve the look of the water are welcome. I may add some gloss to the water and to his body nearest the water at the end, but first I need to decide whether to smooth out the colors, bring down the highlight or brighten the highlights, etc.

ECAEF748-682D-4263-9564-C2ABFEF06738.jpeg

801FCF69-5AAC-4778-8871-0B487D913ADC.jpeg

81EE7F78-57B5-49B7-8D49-61A9D55F1079.jpeg

Edited by zoroaster100
  • Like 9