OneBoot

Unofficial forumite dinner on Sunday

UPDATE: I have made a reservation at the hotel's restaurant instead, since that will eliminate travel concerns, and they can accommodate a very large group (up to 100!). Also, they have vegetarian and gluten-free options. Seating will most likely be outside due to space, however I did confirm that moving inside is possible if the heat is a concern. 

Here's a link to their menu:

https://www.houlihans.com/eats-and-drinks/menu/dinner/denton

For the past [#] years, there's been a tradition of as many forumites as possible going out to dinner together in a big ol' group after the auction on Sunday. The past couple of times I've attended, I think it was MrMelons who made the reservations. We will sadly be Melon-less this year :down:, so I decided to take point.

Since our happy group gets bigger every year, I thought that a buffet would be the best option. They are built to accommodate very large groups of people, so 30+ people descending on them all at once won't be quite as difficult for the staff to handle (and everyone can have hot food whenever they arrive).

There are two buffets very close to the convention center: Chinatown Cafe (1 mile away), and New China King Buffet (2 miles away). There's also a Golden Corral 12 minutes (7 miles) away if more standard American fare would be preferred. 

EDIT: Oh cool, I can add a poll! 

Please post your thoughts/other suggestions! I've set this poll to lock at noon on Friday, so I'll be able to call whichever location has the most votes by then and request an area be set aside for us. ^_^ 

IMPORTANT NOTE: I will be making the reservation for 6:30 PM, since that should give enough time after the auction ends for people to take stuff back to their rooms, say goodbyes, do a bit of packing, etc. (also in case the auction runs long). I can be a bit flexible on the time if enough people state that they need it earlier/later, but I'd prefer no earlier than 5:30 and no later than 7:00.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
Removed poll, added update
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I absolutely want to be there, but some of us are without wheels. So we'll need some transport coordination for anything beyond reasonable walking distance.

Aside from travel issues, I'm not a picky eater, so all three are good to me.

• Like 1

I’ve been to Golden Corral. Has it gotten better?

(It is on my list of places I have dined as: LAST CHOICE. )

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

I absolutely want to be there, but some of us are without wheels. So we'll need some transport coordination for anything beyond reasonable walking distance.

Aside from travel issues, I'm not a picky eater, so all three are good to me.

What he said.

Beyond that, does anyone local-ish have any recent personal reviews of the Chinese restaurants?

57 minutes ago, TGP said:

I’ve been to Golden Corral. Has it gotten better?

(It is on my list of places I have dined as: LAST CHOICE. )

Yah my last experience there was ok at best. While I want to have a good meal for the end of the Con, I also want to be with everyone. Thou, this year I may end up with anther group. Just not sure right now. I'll save a place here, but I wanna keep my options open.

Transportation is my biggest concern thou. Can the hotel shuttle take everyone?

EDIT: I placed my vote, more of a I'd rather eat at a local place, but unsure of what's out there.

:down: We have to leave in the morning to make our flight.  Sorry to miss the fun!  I hope I get to meet everyone during the con...

On the other hand, some formites will probably receive the unanticipated gift of our reaperbucks since we cant use them...

Both Chinese places have about the same Google reviews, while NCKN has a full star lower on Yelp. The reviews are a love it or hate it type for both. Golden Corral has a full star lower on both. We don’t have a Chinese buffet near us any more, so will vote for for Chinese.

As for transportation, we will have the wife’s Commander, so can take four comfortably. Five if people can get cozy. 

ETA: I’d pick someplace else, but pretty clueless on where to go. So maybe I hold off my vote yet. 

Edited by Pegazus

How far is this place:

Cheddar’s

3240 N Interstate 35
Denton, TX  76207
United States

...from the venue? 

(Cheddars is a chain; and a good one; not buffet style, tables and waiters instead, probably non-smoking...sorry @knarthex , but the food there is quite good, they had a pot pie last time I tried the place.)

@OneBoot @Pegazus @Kangaroorex

(Some quick research reveals Cheddar’s is a large regional chain Florida-to-Texas-to-Iowa-to-Pennsylvania. No locations in NY, CA, or West of the Rockies. 

This particular location is probably the first eatery North of the Hilton. Almost in the parking lot. A Two minute walk according to staff.  I just talked to one on the phone: +1 (940) 320-2503.

She said it is a first-come-first-seated sort of place. Best way to get a section is to send some scouts ahead, 3-5 people, who then request tables for a party of *20*.)

Edited by TGP
Added research
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

:down: We have to leave in the morning to make our flight.  Sorry to miss the fun!  I hope I get to meet everyone during the con...

On the other hand, some formites will probably receive the unanticipated gift of our reaperbucks since we cant use them...

I humbley volunteer to give them a warm place @Kangaroorex

1 hour ago, TGP said:

How far is this place:

Cheddar’s

3240 N Interstate 35
Denton, TX  76207
United States

...from the venue? 

(Cheddars is a chain; and a good one; not buffet style, tables and waiters instead, probably non-smoking...sorry @knarthex , but the food there is quite good, they had a pot pie last time I tried the place.)

(Some quick research reveals Cheddar’s is a large regional chain Florida-to-Texas-to-Iowa-to-Pennsylvania. No locations in NY, CA, or West of the Rockies. 

This particular location is probably the first eatery North of the Hilton. Almost in the parking lot. A Two minute walk according to staff.  I just talked to one on the phone: +1 (940) 320-2503.

She said it is a first-come-first-seated sort of place. Best way to get a section is to send some scouts ahead, 3-5 people, who then request tables for a party of *20*.)

That works for me as at con end I would really like a good steak, which is why I voted as I did...

And it can't be changed 

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 1

If we're looking at non-buffet options, can we get reservations for "20" at the hotel restaurant?  And how does the pricing compare to Cheddar's or anywhere else local?

2 hours ago, TGP said:

How far is this place:

Cheddar’s

3240 N Interstate 35
Denton, TX  76207
United States

...from the venue? 

Shares the parking lot close...

We don't frequent any of the three buffet locations chosen.  The better choices are across town.