Miniature Scale

japenny_902

I'm sure this was talked about in the past but am having a hard time finding anything definitive.

I use a lot of reaper figures in my geeky games at home.  But am thinking about picking up some Ral Partha figures for some nostalgia reasons (I had some when I was a kid), and I think I read before that they're smaller than modern 28mm heroic figures (like reaper and wizkids etc).

Is this true?  Will they look out of place mixed in with my other figures?  I thought someone on here would know given the amount of knowledge this forum is swimming in.

Cheers

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Ral Partha ranges 25mm-28mm, as opposed to Reaper's range of 28mm-32mm. If that's the case, they'd only look a little bit shorter than your others and are likely fine mixed in on the tabletop. I could be mistaken though. 

I find scale usually is not very problematic (as several has stated above) unless it is in the same unit and the equipemnt is supposed to be the same size but isnt because of scale differences

https://maledrakh.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/rivercrest-scale-problem.jpg

This is an example from the defunct game Drake: The Dragon Wargame, and the single worst example I have come across of scale difference between figures in the same unit!

This is probably caused by different scaling when printing, probably at different times and maybe at different vendors.

One could have argued that people IRL come in different sizes, which I would have accepted had only the shields been the same size. But since they are not…

at any rate, I think this also would serve as an illustration of the general scale difference between Ral Partha and Reaper if you imagine the smaller one to be RP and the larger one to be Reaper, you will get something like this IRL. (note that both RP and Reaper has differently siized/scaled figures within their lineups as well, it seems nobody is competely consistent)

19 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Minis sculpted with different proportion styles also can look odd when played together. Even when the same “scale”.

ie. Heroic vs Realistic.

I find this more annoying than size difference. The best example I can think of is dwarves. In the reaper catalog Sandra Garrity's dwarves look odd next to Werner Klocke's dwarves because the heads on his dwarves are so much bigger. They both look fine on their own, but together they look odd. 

• Like 5

On 8/29/2018 at 12:19 PM, Glitterwolf said:

To be honest, look at real people.

I have a coworker who is a lot taller than me, for example.

I would put a 25mm in a regiment with 28mm minis.

Maybe put it at the front.

Maybe it is a younger person?

If you like it, paint it!

My wife is 4'4".

I'm 5'9".

Pretty sure we were modeled  on different scales.

The Auld Grump - hey, in 15mm scale, I'm a giant!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

My wife is 4'4".

I'm 5'9".

My girl is a bit taller than me. ( Eyes are up here! ):ph34r:

I agree on the weapon scale problem.

Depends on how a unit is armed, if a unit is armed with several different weapons ( axe, sword, mace etc) it will be alright.

If you have an all spear unit etc, just make two units.

In any case I wouldn't keep a scale difference from painting a mini.

If a mini gets too large, make a statue out of it!

• Like 2

On 8/30/2018 at 9:08 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

My wife is 4'4".

I'm 5'9".

Wait, what?

PaganMegan is 52" tall?  :blink: 

She could plausibly have a knock down, drag out, fight for her life against my co-worker's house cat (46" from nose to tip of tail, 28-ish lbs). :lol:

• Haha 2