redambrosia

Getting to Know You: Sept 2018

On 9/8/2018 at 6:30 AM, redambrosia said:

Oof. Sorry I'm late; fell asleep.

Saturday, September 8: When you are old, what do you think children will ask you to tell stories about?

Snow. The ruins out in the coastal waters. Chocolate? Coffee? :grr:

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Sunday, September 9: What is something that will always be in fashion, no matter how much time passes?

Hope? 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Laughter. ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Yessss. Fashion for women changes at a breakneck pace while fashion for men changes more glacially.

:blues:

24 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Having pets!

One can only hope. 

(One can only hope our Feline Overlords will not tire of us and instead keep humanity around for a few more millennia.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Sunday, September 9: What is something that will always be in fashion, no matter how much time passes?

Hope.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I'm gonna go waaay out on a limb and say 'wearing clothing'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

...The ruins out in the coastal waters...

Tell us a story about Old Neopolis **Haminister! Please!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/ruins-roman-city-found-underwater-180964738/

...More than 50 acres of underwater Roman ruins have been discovered off the coast of Tunisia, bolstering an epic ancient disaster story, the AFP reports.

Roughly 1,650 years ago, a massive tsunami swept through the Mediterranean, leveling cities and killing thousands of people along the coast of the sea. Though no technology existed at the time to measure it, scientists writing in the journal Scientific Reports in 2013 estimated that it was caused by an earthquake registering more than an eight on the Richter Scale, or roughly as powerful as the strongest earthquake ever seen in the continental United States.

In documenting the damage from this tsunami in 365 A.D., which even struck the famed Egyptian metropolis of Alexandria, historian Ammien Marcellin wrote of how the African city of Neapolis was almost entirely wiped out by the massive wave. According to the AFP, in 2010, a group of Italian and Tunisian scientists started looking for the lost city to confirm the story, and now, they’ve found it off the coast of modern-day Tunisia.

The ruins of Neapolis were found underwater near the Tunisian city of Nabeul, writes Sarah Laskow for Atlas Obscura. They reveal a well-preserved portrait of the city before its sudden destruction. Among the expanse of remains found was evidence of streets, monuments and even roughly 100 tanks used to ferment a fish-based condiment called garum, reports Bethan McKenan for the Independent.

The ruins of Neapolis might also paint a portrait of a destructive future for other communities along the coast of the Mediterranean. As Mason Inman reported in 2008 for National Geographic, a study published in Nature Geoscience that March argued that earthquakes as large as the one in 365 A.D. may occur approximately once every 800 years.

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/ruins-roman-city-found-underwater-180964738/#HuzUg6mITbImw2YA.99

**We had no idea you were nearly 1700 years old... ...you don’t look a day over 300, ...200 in good light. :poke:

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

On 9/8/2018 at 6:30 AM, redambrosia said:

Oof. Sorry I'm late; fell asleep.

Saturday, September 8: When you are old, what do you think children will ask you to tell stories about?

Hmmm, I don't know, I imagine I'll be one of those older people who just forces people to listen to stories, I kind of already do that anyway.

On 9/7/2018 at 1:19 AM, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 7: Who was your craziest/most interesting teacher?

Latin High School teacher. She was awesome and supportive and just totally insane. On my college recommendation she wrote down that I was the meanest student she had ever met, but that I got things done. Totally true statement at the time, but a little odd to actually write down. 

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

There are lots of  clothing items that people have always worn or liked some variation of, I would go with the ones that anyone could add "classic" in front of and we all thing of the same general item

the little black dress

the khaki trench coat

rain boots

black purse

white t-shirt

pencil skirt

wrap dress

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I'm gonna go waaay out on a limb and say 'wearing clothing'.

Sure about that stance? I'm pretty sure that there is a whole branch of world culture dedicated to appreciating nudity. :poke:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Sure about that stance? I'm pretty sure that there is a whole branch of world culture dedicated to appreciating nudity. :poke:

Yup. Nudity is great, but clothes help keep oneself warm.:winkthumbs:

25 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Clothes!

Wait, @Chaoswolf beat me to it...

:ph34r:

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Zink said:

Had my oldest ask me if we had colour tv when I was a kid. I was born in '74. :blink:

We had a black and white up to 1980.

14 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Angsty teenagers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

15 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Insulting graffiti on walls

• Like 8

16 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Posting videos of yourself doing epically stupid things online...

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

58 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Graffiti on walls bragging about exploits with someone's mother. Been going on at least since the Romans were in power, and likely before that. 

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

So true. Google Pompeii graffiti. Be fore warned about some curse words and, let's say suggestive language. Some are very funny and show you just how much bathroom scribbles haven't changed over the years. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2