redambrosia

Getting to Know You: Sept 2018

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Monday, September 17: 

What is the funniest joke you know by heart?

Um, how about the family friendly one:

How many tickles does it take to make an octopus laugh? :;,;:

Spoiler

Ten-tickles!

• Haha 6

On 9/13/2018 at 12:34 PM, thelonegoldfish said:

Distilled water (for cpap, but water's water.) 

Ooo, I didn't even think I should include that for MrBoot's CPAP, thanks for the reminder! 

On 9/13/2018 at 6:29 PM, Keianna said:

I have a 'bug-out' bag in my trunk. Set of work clothes, set of sleep clothes, small blanket, first aid kit, flashlight, baby wipes and basic self care stuff (toothbrush, deodorant etc.). I occasionally get snowed in at work. 

Also a fantastic idea. I have a couple of spare backpacks I could use for this. 

On 9/14/2018 at 1:52 AM, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 14: 

Is there a song that makes you nostalgic for your “youth”? If so, what is it?

Define "youth" as you wish.

Oh gosh, there's so very many, and it's kind of a sad reason why. 

From middle school through to my second year of college, I had a Best Friend. Her name was Jenny, but we rarely used our real names; she was Rip and I was Squink, and we did everything possible together, including sharing lots of music and making carefully crafted mix cds for each other (which I listened to on a daily basis). Problem was, she was into anime and dressing in black and D&D and angry-sounding music and manga and the like, and my parents were...very concerned about the influence she was/might have been having on their eldest daughter. 

There were several confrontations with my parents over the years, but things finally came to a head one summer evening after school. To this day I still can't remember the specifics since I was crazy emotional, but it ended with me swearing to cut off all ties with Rip and smashing all of the cds she'd given me to...I guess show my commitment or something, still can't figure why I did it.

I've never stopped regretting that moment, and every time I hear one of the songs she shared, especially when I'm not expecting it, it's like a bittersweet punch in the heart. I've come to anticipate the possibility every time I pick up a new anime, she liked sharing opening/closing songs especially. 

The story does have a happy ending, though: I reconnected with her a few years ago, and while we're nowhere near as close as before (time, distance, marriages and a baby will do that), we're still good friends. ^_^ I've also managed to gather up most of the missing songs a bit at a time, and while I'll never have the full collection back, I've recreated a fair bit of it. ^_^

On 9/14/2018 at 6:51 AM, Doug Sundseth said:

Styx - Renegade

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Meat Loaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light

Kansas - Dust in the Wind

Abba - Move On

AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Berliner Philharmoniker, Karajan - Beethoven, 9th Symphony, 4th Movement

:blink: I'm not sure what it means that most of Doug's list also reminds me of MY youth, cuz I grew up with a lot of these songs. 

...High five for good taste! :bday:

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Monday, September 17: 

"By the time you realize this sentence doesn't actually say anything, it's too late to stop reading it." :devil:

I found a t-shirt for MrBoot with this on it (only with the word t-shirt instead of sentence), with the text smaller on each subsequent line. It still makes me chuckle. ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

:blink: I'm not sure what it means that most of Doug's list also reminds me of MY youth, cuz I grew up with a lot of these songs. 

...High five for good taste! :bday:

Either you're much older than you look, in which case, huzzah! Or possibly solicitations.

Or you listened to your parents' music quite a bit.

:B):

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Monday, September 17: 

Okay, so by far my sense of humor is firmly wedged in absurdism (the State,  the Kids in the Hall,  Andy Kaufman, etc, things that are edgy for their time), and dry absurdism is the best, but sometimes dry anti-jokes are the best:

What's red and tastes like yellow paint?

Red Paint.

What did the farmer say when he lost his tractor?

"Where's my tractor?"

etc. 

But my favorite go-to traditional Q/A style joke is regional to the midwest and surrounding areas...

"Why do White Castles [burgers]  have five holes in them?"

"Because that's how many bullets it took to kill the rat."

I don't know why this one always stuck with me. I love Castles, and they actually use a very high grade beef for as cheap as they are, but the joke just hit me right the first time I heard it, and tell it whenever the topic comes around to sliders. 

For reference, they have five holes so the grill heats them faster and the steam something something something.  I play hockey with one of their marketing execs and when I told him that joke he went into a spiel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, pinkymadigan said:

"Why do White Castles [burgers]  have five holes in them?"

"Because that's how many bullets it took to kill the rat."

I don't know why this one always stuck with me. I love Castles, and they actually use a very high grade beef for as cheap as they are, but the joke just hit me right the first time I heard it, and tell it whenever the topic comes around to sliders. 

LOVE White Castle; I always have &, probably, always will. AND you got a hardy laugh from me on that one. WELL DONE, Pinky!

• Like 8

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Monday, September 17: 

The problem with political jokes is that all too often they get elected. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Monday, September 17: 

I'm blonde and find blonde jokes funny, even if they're highly inaccurate.... 

A blonde, a brunette, and a redhead are stuck on an island. A genie grants them each a single wish. The brunette says "I wish to go home to my family!". The redhead says "I wish to be on a nice cruise ship!" The blonde though... "I wish for my friends back!". 

• Haha 10

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Monday, September 17: 

In Soviet Russia, a man named Rudolph and his wife Katarina were eating dinner. Katarina looked out the window and said, "Looks like it's beginning to snow, dear." Rudolph replied, "No, it looks like rain to me." Katarina sighed and told him, "Dear, it's clearly snow!" Rudolph stood up and said, "Rudolph the Red knows rain, dear!"

From a 'big book of jokes' I had as a kid in the 70s. Don't know why that one particular joke always stuck with me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Monday, September 17: 

An unprintably rude one involving a penguin and a tub of ice cream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Monday, September 17: 

Nothing that is safe for work or forum.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2018 at 2:20 AM, redambrosia said:

Saturday, September 14: 

If you had an infinite budget to build a fort, what would you build?

A Victorian Mansion with porches on three sides, the fourth designed to look more like a castle for siege battles. It will include all the pre-20th Century energy efficiency features that were abandoned when air conditioning was invented as well as solar panels. The field will be hardy grasses that require little to no maintenance in this climate. It will be on a lake.

• Like 8

On 9/16/2018 at 8:24 AM, redambrosia said:

Sunday, September 16: 

What obstacles would be included in the world’s most amazing obstacle course?

a wall of solid chocolate

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Monday, September 17: 

A feghoot about Beethoven's Ninth.

3 hours ago, CashWiley said:

In Soviet Russia, a man named Rudolph and his wife Katarina were eating dinner. Katarina looked out the window and said, "Looks like it's beginning to snow, dear." Rudolph replied, "No, it looks like rain to me." Katarina sighed and told him, "Dear, it's clearly snow!" Rudolph stood up and said, "Rudolph the Red knows rain, dear!"

From a 'big book of jokes' I had as a kid in the 70s. Don't know why that one particular joke always stuck with me.

Not as funny as the Reverse Yakov Smirnoff:
In Capitalist America, Bank Robs You!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Either you're much older than you look, in which case, huzzah! Or possibly solicitations.

Or you listened to your parents' music quite a bit.

:B):

:lol: The second one. 90's music was certainly part of my formative teenage years, but I've got 80's (and some late 70's) music in my soul. :wub:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2018 at 8:24 AM, redambrosia said:

Sunday, September 16: 

What obstacles would be included in the world’s most amazing obstacle course?

Trying to find the time to do anything hobby-related, nevermind finish a project...

• Like 6