redambrosia

Getting to Know You: Sept 2018

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

The next question should be how many have been sacrificed to appease our hobby gods. :lol:

Too many to count but their sacrifice was not in vain. They will be remembered with honour. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

The next question should be how many have been sacrificed to appease our hobby gods. :lol:

Shockingly, just one. It's one of my more frizzled brushes, which I was rather fond of since it had achieved the coveted "fuzzy sponge on a stick" state following hard use in two Goblin Challenges. I accidentally chromed it when I excitedly used it to try out my brand new chrome paint...and only when the paint didn't rinse off did I discover I needed paint thinner to remove it. :down: Alas, poor Trevor...you left us too soon.

I still haven't thrown him out, though; he lives in my brush cup and tells all the young brushes horror stories of what he had to deal with "when I was your age" to keep them in line. :lol:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Haha 10

Tuesday, September 25: Do you enjoy fall themed activities like corn mazes, hay rides, corn cob shooting, etc.? If so, do you have a favorite memory of an activity?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, September 25: Do you enjoy fall themed activities like corn mazes, hay rides, corn cob shooting, etc.? If so, do you have a favorite memory of an activity?

There was one memorable trip to a local pumpkin farm with a group of erstwhile fiends. The "all you can carry for $ X...I don't remember how much X was...saw the demise of a sweatshirt that was volunteer to tote the pumpkins for a greater "all you can carry". The pumpkin hunt was followed by a BBQ & pumpkin pie baking/bread making/Jack O'Lantern carving party at Maria & Arthur's place. 

AND there were a couple of special Halloweens taking my two youngest sons Trick or Treating.

• Like 8

No such thing here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

That all sounds like it's outdoors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

We have none of those here. There -might- be a corn maze, but that's about it, I think. And the haunted house that's put on every year for Hallowe'en.

• Like 5

Yes! I love fall. It is my favorite! Let's see: a local pumpkin patch has pick your own pumpkins and a few days before Halloween they put them on sale for $1 each. My mom and I come home with a wheelbarrow full. The farm also has a corn pool where you can 'swim' in dried corn. If I have time, I take the pumpkins home and carve them. There is a chili cook-off at work that I enter every year. The nearby renaissance festival is going on at this time as well, so my friends and I get all costumed up and head out there. Oh and I should find out when this year's Zombie Walk is. It is a fundraiser for the local humane society and a friend helps organize it. 

Have I mentioned, I love fall :wub:

• Like 8

I have never done any of those listed examples. (corn cob shooting?)

What I do like about autumn is walks in the woods when all the leaves are brightly coloured and the temperature is nice mix of cool in the shadow and warm in the sun.

Favourite memory would be the classic raking of the leaves and jumping in the pile. As I got older, taller and heavier, I realized that leaves have horrible shock absorbing properties and don't do much to block the energy of your fall.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

Hay rides out here are more of a winter thing, since they're paired with sleds and hot chocolate (spiked hot chocolate for the adults). 

Corn mazes, we do get a few here and there, but one needs a vehicle to get to them, so I've never been to one. 

My favourite fall activity? Laughing maniacally at the wasps that can't fly very well, and that they'll be dead soon.....  But I really hate wasps.  Yes, at least 5x more than I hate mosquitos that fly up near your ear. 

Some of the other mentioned activities sound like small town kind of things, I've only ever heard of such because hubby is from a small town, that so many people from Norther Alberta go "omg, you guys have awesome corn!" to which the locals of Taber go "eh, it's just corn" 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

I have never done any of those listed examples. (corn cob shooting?)

What I do like about autumn is walks in the woods when all the leaves are brightly coloured and the temperature is nice mix of cool in the shadow and warm in the sun.

Favourite memory would be the classic raking of the leaves and jumping in the pile. As I got older, taller and heavier, I realized that leaves have horrible shock absorbing properties and don't do much to block the energy of your fall.

That reminded me of a pleasant Autumn memory. When I was a boy, every Saturday in late October was, by mutual consent, leaf burning day for every house on the block. Each house would put a tall wire basket in the street. Then all the raked leaves would be stuffed in the basket & cremated...pagan ritual no doubt. The columns of smoke rising in the air & the wonderful aroma of the smoke are still the stuff of fond memories.

There is a underlying sadness about Autumn for me, but there are also joyous moments...AND Halloween!

• Like 5

On 9/17/2018 at 3:19 AM, redambrosia said:

Monday, September 17: 

What is the funniest joke you know by heart?

Me: I have a business

Other: What's your business?

Me: I put roofs on clock towers

Other: How is business?

Me: Pretty good, I'm working overtime. 

On 9/24/2018 at 3:33 AM, redambrosia said:

Monday, September 24: How many brushes do you own? Which ones are your favorites?

I have a few handfuls of cheapo hobby lobby sold in packs ones, the ones that came with the LTPKs, and some synthetic Rosemary and Co Elcipse series (a filbert, round 1 and 2, and a few bigger ones for base coating terrain) and some Rosemary and Co, Series 33, in 0, 2/0, 1, and 2. My favorite is the Series 33 size 0. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Corn cob shooting was something mention at the local corn maze. Apparently you can shoot corn cobs out of something like a t shirt cannon. It sounds really fun.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Trips to photograph fall colors, definitely (though it's not on the list). Other than that:

• Corn mazes: Really don't interest me; I've done them and never had much fun.
  • Haunted houses: Worked for a company that did a professional haunted house. (Strictly speaking, I worked for a different business owned by the same person who owned the haunted house and had my office in the building.) Fun to build but absolutely no interest in participating.
  • Hay rides: Itchy and cold; I'd rather be walking.
  • Corn cob shooting: Never heard of it before today, but I'd rather shoot at corn cobs than shoot corn cobs at other things.

So basically I'm a stick-in-the-mud grouch and y'all need to get off my lawn. 

:angry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I used to.  I'd go to the Big E with friends or my grandparents and spend all day there.  There were smaller town festivals too. My favorite were the apple orchards.  I'd get a gallon of fresh pressed cider every week, none of this grocery store crap with potassium sorbate in it.  Sometimes I'd get a sack of cooking apples from behind the farm stand, the ugly ones the tourists wouldn't buy, and pie making would begin. 

They don't do that so much around here, which is odd, because this IS farm country.  There used to be a large apple orchard and fruit business in town, but the parents got old and died and the brothers fought and split up the business.  The restaurant closed, the farm stand is now a gas station and who knows what happened to the orchards.  There are still 'pick your own' places, but it's not fun like it used to be.  

• Sad 7