redambrosia

Getting to Know You: Sept 2018

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Wednesday, September 26: What is your favorite cooked vegetable? Do you have a recipe that you enjoy more than others?

Shortly after I went away to college, I informed my mother that I was going vegetarian. Her response was "But, you don't like vegetables..." It took me a while to discover why she thought that. I don't like canned vegetables, and that was all she served. I really do love most vegetables. Just not the over cooked, over processed, salty canned stuff. 

My very favorite vegetable recipe:

Baby portabella mushrooms

White or yellow onion

Fresh garlic

Butter

Dry sherry

Saute sliced mushrooms and onions in butter. Add the garlic and let cool till the mushrooms start to release their water and the onions get translucent. Then add the Sherry and cook until it is almost dry. This can then be eaten in toast or crackers, made into mushroom soup or pasta sauce, or cooled and rolled into sushi. Whatever you do with it, the smell that comes off when you add the Sherry is positively transcendental :wub: :blush:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Wednesday, September 26: What is your favorite cooked vegetable? Do you have a recipe that you enjoy more than others?

Corn (see below!), and Brussel sprouts, but sauteed in pan with seasoning and maybe some bacon, not boiled (eww)

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Con on the cob.

Although to be honest, there aren't really very many veggies that I don't like.

Seconded. I don't care if it is a grain, I grew up with it in the vegetable section of the food chart. 

Corn on the cob - with the caveat that I prefer it grilled. 

• Like 4

Broccoli! Steamed all by itself or with cheese or with shrimp mayonnaise.

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Same. :ik_oops:

What is this "con" you speak of :lol:

I'm gonna beat all the other pedantic folks to the punch here and say: corn is technically a grain :lol:

It's what you eat after you pahk ya cah at Hahvahd Yahd.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

34 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Ah! A kindred soul! I loved playing with my broccoli and mashed potatoes! I made "snowy" forests, much to my mom's exasperation.

Add some animal shaped nuggets/crackers, and you have an edible diorama!

Great, now I'm hungry.

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Wednesday, September 26: What is your favorite cooked vegetable?

The Carrot. 

Do you have a recipe that you enjoy more than others?

There is such a recipe, but I don’t have a copy, and must rely on others to make it. And that would be Pot Roast. Carrots, accompanied by chunks of potato, red onions, cubed beef. Second favorite Carrot recipe involves them being chopped into discs, slivers, or ovals and then steamed [?] with seasoning [butter?]. Again, I just pick that from the menu and then grade the result. 

(...Red didn’t really ^ ask this...)

What is your favorite vegetable from childhood?

Miniature Trees. (I too deforested the steamed broccoli woodlands as a child. But I was a dinosaur, a strangely vegetarian but ginormous T-Rex, that chomped entire trees in a single gulp, leaving the tastless unwanted trunks behind.)

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

Broccoli!

I don't know why, but I always liked them. I still remember being 4 years old and noting how they looked like little trees, then play hungry lumberjack and cut them down with my teeth.

:winkthumbs:

38 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Ah! A kindred soul! I loved playing with my broccoli and mashed potatoes! I made "snowy" forests, much to my mom's exasperation.

(There is no wrong way to play with your food...)

Edited by TGP
...why does silly auto spell double my words...?...why?
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I don't think I can pick just one favorite cooked vegetable, but if you mean botanical vegetables (as opposed to dietary ones), I would probably go with the potato. It's amazingly versatile, and fits in with nearly every cooking method for dozens of distinct cuisines. Yum!

If you mean more in the sense of an "eat your vegetables" kind of vegetable, and you force me to give an answer, probably stir-fried broccoli (not a euphemism) with a tiny amount of garlic and soy sauce. It's quick, easy and tasty.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Well I would say mushrooms but those are a fungus. 

So then I would say tomatoes... but those are fruit.

Zucchini then... wait... those are fruit too!

Ugh!  I give up!

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

Add some animal shaped nuggets/crackers, and you have an edible diorama!

Great, now I'm hungry.

I made a Minecraft 'cake' out of brownies, rice crispy treats, frosting and marzipan. Edible dioramas are fun!

1 hour ago, TGP said:

The Carrot. 

There is such a recipe, but I don’t have a copy, and must rely on others to make it. And that would be Pot Roast. Carrots, accompanied by chunks of potato, red onions, cubed beef. Second favorite Carrot recipe involves them being chopped into discs, slivers, or ovals and then steamed [?] with seasoning [butter?]. Again, I just pick that from the menu and then grade the result. 

Yes! Pot roast carrots are sooo yummy!

My favorite carrot recipe is peel and cut as you like, put in a pot with almost enough water to cover, a tablespoon or 2 of butter, 2-3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1-2 tablespoons honey, a pinch of salt and about 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Bring this to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and you are left with syrupy yummy carrots. The vanilla really makes the difference. Takes it from sweet carrots to Oh Wow this is good!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

The Carrot. 

There is such a recipe, but I don’t have a copy, and must rely on others to make it. And that would be Pot Roast. Carrots, accompanied by chunks of potato, red onions, cubed beef.

Pot roast is so easy to make. You put everything into the crockpot in the morning, let it cook all day, and enjoy delicious food in the evening.  No fancy cooking techniques required.  My favorite recipe is the Alton Brown one, weird ingredients and all.  Find the video if you can. 

33 minutes ago, Keianna said:

My favorite carrot recipe is peel and cut as you like, put in a pot with almost enough water to cover, a tablespoon or 2 of butter, 2-3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1-2 tablespoons honey, a pinch of salt and about 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Bring this to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and you are left with syrupy yummy carrots. The vanilla really makes the difference. Takes it from sweet carrots to Oh Wow this is good!

IMO, carrots don't need all that sugar.  A drizzle of honey and a squeeze of lemon is all. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Inarah said:

IMO, carrots don't need all that sugar.  A drizzle of honey and a squeeze of lemon is all. 

That ^

I am a fan of carrots tasting of carrotness rather than brown-sugar-syrupy-flavor. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Cooked vegetables? :unsure:

I... tend to prefer my vegetables raw. Some vegetables are delicious raw but are nauseatingly disgusting once cooked, like green beans and most leaves. Others are rather boring once cooked but not quite disgusting, like cauliflower and carrots.

I can stand cooked broccoli tho, but just the flower bits, not the stems. The stems can be quite gross when cooked.

It's a texture thing. Also a sharpness of flavor, cooking it gets rid of the sharpness and replaces it with the taste of foot.

Cooked onions, garlic, and peppers are the only real wins I can think of. Oh, and bamboo shoots. There's no way to cook those to footness.

Alternatively, cooking vegetables in a really robust sauce. It's the real reason my pots of stew involve a whole bottle of wine, to ward off any foot that might try and sneak (stomp?) in.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, redambrosia said:

The humble potato. There are just so many ways you can cook it and it's a staple food over much of the world. My favourite recipe is fried in bacon grease with onions. We don't eat much bacon anymore and I don't save the grease so it's been years since I had this. Butter is good too but love that little bit of bacony goodness. 

• Like 6

I have killed 3 men in a barfight.

I walked the John Muir Trail in 10 days.

I tested the first wave of flu shots. 

I am a state horse shoe champion.

I run a popular record label.

I was able to talk to congress about HPV awareness.

I wrote a business/self help book that received a Nole Grande reward.

I have been a student of MMA for 9 years and met Ip Man who I beat.

I served 8 years in Guam.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 9/24/2018 at 8:33 AM, redambrosia said:

Monday, September 24: How many brushes do you own? Which ones are your favorites?

I own way, way too many brushes. I've got 4 different pots of brushes on my panting table with the following categories- Still got a point, Flat brushes, Almost beyond redemption and Metallics. My current favourite is a size 2 Mastertouch Aquamarine Watercolour Round- it's kept its point for 6 months of heavy use, which is pretty good for an acrylic brush ::P:

On 9/25/2018 at 9:13 AM, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, September 25: Do you enjoy fall themed activities like corn mazes, hay rides, corn cob shooting, etc.? If so, do you have a favorite memory of an activity?

Those sound awesome, but I've never tried any of them. My favourite autumn activity is looking for all the weird fungi that pop up at this time of year.

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I'll eat just about any veggies that's put in front of me, as long as it's not too spicy for my delicate, wussy sensibilities. My Housemate makes an awesome Veggie Katsu Curry, but I have no idea how they make it  :blink:

6 hours ago, Keianna said:

Shortly after I went away to college, I informed my mother that I was going vegetarian. Her response was "But, you don't like vegetables..." It took me a while to discover why she thought that. I don't like canned vegetables, and that was all she served. I really do love most vegetables. Just not the over cooked, over processed, salty canned stuff.

I went veggie at 12 and had to weather through countless plates of mushy, over salted veg until I learned to make food for myself. My family were convinced that it was "just a phase" and tried to actively break me out of it ::(:

• Like 4
  • Sad 2