redambrosia

Getting to Know You: Sept 2018

2 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

...used to carve, and display, pumpkins on Halloween, but we're in an apartment condo now, which makes it much less exciting, and makes an untended candle controversial, at best...

A pair of battery powered LED tea lights...?...combined with one of those artificial But! carvable pumpkins might solve this dilemma. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 28: 

Do you decorate for holidays? Which ones?

Share pictures of fun decor if you have them!

We decorate for Christmas.  It's a tradition my wife started after we moved in to the house and had room for a Christmas tree.

The decorations (including the tree, we get small trees) are limited to our kitchen table.  However, the kitchen table is also where I paint, so I have to disassemble everything around that time.

• Like 5

Friday, September 28: 

"We" do. Which is to say that I retrieve the big plastic boxes (orange for Halloween and red and green for Christmas) from the top shelves in the garage and my wife (with the semi-willing and limited value assistance of our son) does the decorating. And then at the end I carry the big plastic boxes back up the ladder.

• Like 6

We decorate for Christmas, but it is too much to post.

But, I carve a Jack-o-Lantern for Halloween every year.Misca_019.thumb.JPG.764576cfe411ca7177b977317c032daa.JPG

Here is a pic with Sir Forscale at the end of its life. of one from a few years ago.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 28: 

Short answer: nope, don't have room. 

Long answer: I don't really have all that many visitors due to old building and annoying neighbours...  And annoying condo regulations that won't let me put anything up in the windows. 

That and I have enough trouble finding room for the stuff for my various hobbies, so it would be even harder to try and find somewhere to store seasonal goods that come out on a rare basis. 

Maybe when we get a house! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 28: 

Sort of? I tend to decorate myself rather than my surroundings. I just found this year's 6 month work season has been expanded to a minimum of 19 months so I'm acquiring some work-appropriate Halloween things. Velvet is appropriate...

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 28: 

I used to but the last several years I haven't felt very much in the holiday spirit. Though I did find this guy at the store yesterday and if he's still there when we get paid he's mine ($5 not the $20 seen):

0927181453.thumb.jpg.a43c9ebe91eac41382b92b56c12866d7.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 28: 

yes.

Home:  Almost all of them.

Office:  Christmas/Hanukkah

my office lights don't come down.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 28: 

I never really liked traditional holiday decorations, but last year we decided to invest in some yard inflatables and outdoor image projectors.  So much more fun.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TGP said:

A pair of battery powered LED tea lights...?...combined with one of those artificial But! carvable pumpkins might solve this dilemma. 

Yes, but much less exciting.

(Well, tea lights. I did not realize that artificial, carvable pumpkins were a thing)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 28: 

We used to, but now that the kids aren't really 'kids' anymore, we've kinda fallen out of the habit.

That, and the last time I did up the house/yard for Halloween, I got in trouble; it was too scary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

(Following on from my answer earlier...)

What I should really do is paint some season-appropriate miniatures (like 01449 Halloween Knight or the Christmas Sophies or the Christmas minis from last year) and put them out at the appropriate times.  (If nothing else, it's a convenient excuse to paint them!)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 28: 

Just a few small things for Christmas, not much else.  I always go elsewhere for major holidays so I don't feel like putting much effort into my place.

• Like 4

Saturday, September 29: The end of my tenure as Quisitor draws nigh! Next month we have @TaleSpinner as our most honorable Quisitor. Help him out by suggesting question!

And as Mr Grace (...of Grace Brothers...) would say, “You’ve done very well!”

Setup: Almost all children draw for fun...but most kids give it up at some point. 

Q: When did you stop?

(If you never did, post a picture please... ::): )

Edited by TGP
needed to boldificate my question
  • Like 6