redambrosia

Getting to Know You: Sept 2018

2 hours ago, TheMandolin said:

I really should get a leatherman.

A number of my friends swear by Gerber, but I prefer my Genuine Bucktool (which, sadly, Buck seems to be out of the multitool business).

Image result for bucktool

Ergonomic grip, virtually rustproof, and it only retailed for $65.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, etherial said:

A number of my friends swear by Gerber, but I prefer my Genuine Bucktool (which, sadly, Buck seems to be out of the multitool business).

Image result for bucktool

Ergonomic grip, virtually rustproof, and it only retailed for $65.

Pretty sure that's the same one I have in my car currently. I know it's a Buck.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

Thursday, September 13: Do you carry with you, at all times, tools sufficient to open a can of soup? (Or other canned goods)

No, but I rarely buy soup in cans anymore, let alone cans that don't have a pull tab. As for other canned goods I still do not carry an opening device. Though I do have a bottle opener on my keychain and will probably add a second one soon.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

Thursday, September 13: Do you carry with you, at all times, tools sufficient to open a can of soup? (Or other canned goods)

Nooo... :down:

I work in a federal building. We're not allowed to carry any of the fun tools. Not even for self defense walking home from work at 1am.

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

6 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I work in a federal building. We're not allowed to carry any of the fun tools. Not even for self defense walking home from work at 1am.

[Imagines @NebulousMissy taking out a criminal with a can opener.]

You go girl!

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Haha 8

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

I do keep a bottle opener on my key ring. Other than that, I don't carry many tools at all times, apart from pens.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

Yes.

1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

I carry a very small pocket knife. I used to use it for dealing with staples when I was a Data Transcriber.

Now I use the scissors for random stuff, as needed. Been through security numerous times without issue. Then again, it's tiny.

Mind, my current area still has Exacto knives from when we were literally cutting and pasting (with glue) to develop training material to be sent to print.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yes.

Unless I'm in an airport, I always have a knife and a Leatherman.

Same here.

Except I don't fly and have my normal assortment of tools on me when providing transportation and porter services, right up to the handoff to airline personell or the security line.

Plus the lighter I have carried since my Navy days, even though I haven't smoked in circa 18 years.

And yes, it is a zippo style lighter and I do keep it operational.

Sometimes it gets  used to light off the grill.

GEM

• Like 6

On 9/12/2018 at 12:45 AM, redambrosia said:

This question come from @Crowley

Wednesday, September 12: What sort of supplies do you keep stocked for disaster situations?

Distilled water (for cpap, but water's water.), and I by way too much canned/dry food at costco... so there's a bunch of that.

Gonna get really sick of soup and beans... but I'll live for a few days.

11 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

Skeletool, so yes.

• Like 7

If you have access to a straight slot screwdriver and something to use as a hammer [use your imagination here, lots of other items can sub. for a hammer] you can get the soup out of the can.

GEM

• Like 8

4 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

They let you carry a pen, right?  That can be deadlier than a knife.  Grab the pen in your hand and punch it in like you would a knife.  Makes a ragged hole that is harder to stich up.

• Like 6

On 9/12/2018 at 2:45 AM, redambrosia said:

This question come from @Crowley

Wednesday, September 12: What sort of supplies do you keep stocked for disaster situations?

I have a 'bug-out' bag in my trunk. Set of work clothes, set of sleep clothes, small blanket, first aid kit, flashlight, baby wipes and basic self care stuff (toothbrush, deodorant etc.). I occasionally get snowed in at work. 

17 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

Technically, yes. Though it would be neither graceful or clean. 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

No, which as a supposedly always prepared farm boy makes me sad. I tend to leave my knives and tools at home when travelling.

• Like 6