redambrosia

Getting to Know You: Sept 2018

9 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, September 18: 

Where do you get most of your home decorations?

From storage. 

CA9F9098-DF3D-41A4-BB66-42601A846D48.thumb.jpeg.46e684aba6360db1d165ab320a1a2520.jpeg

I did visit the lair of the Dragon the other day. I learned that she has dual breath weapons. Fire dragon with Fog it says,  right there on the sign. 

I didna buy any decorations though. 

(Does snagging miniature pine trees during after Xmas sales count? —for war game terrain purposes— BTDT)

Edited by TGP
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, September 18: 

Various crap-a-toriums.  Or, I make them.

• Like 8

Tuesday, September 18: 

Land of all cheap and mostly durable - Ikea.  At least most of the furniture and storage stuff anyways.  With the rest mostly having been from either MemoryExpress (new computer parts), Long&McQuade (audio, djing, and music stuff), or eBay (old computer parts, miniature basing stuff, etc). 

Alternate answer: the internet ^_^

• Like 7

Tuesday, September 18: 

I have a couple of Halloween things that hang around all year long. One is from Michael's (Dead Jon Silver) & the other (Sweetie The Spook) from World market.

Furnishing are largely stuff from Cap'n John. I don't really do decorating. I have a live in workshop with cat.

• Like 8

Tuesday, September 18: 

Looking around the living room: Cons for posters and props, bookstores, craft stores for seasonal decor that I made, thrift stores for tea pots and cups and shelves of miniatures from all over. 

• Like 8

Tuesday, September 18: 

The toy store :rolleyes: our shelves are covered in transformers, super heroes, and dragons. 

• Like 12

Tuesday, September 18: 

Assuming we're talking about decorations rather than furniture:

• My wife's art show. She has run the art show for MileHiCon for decades (and other shows including Origins several times and WorldCon). So she knows lots of artists and we've both spent too much time and money on their stuff.
  • My wife's embroidery and other fiber arts.
  • My photography.
  • My grandmother's oil paintings.
  • Convention hucksters.
  • Painted minis and prepaints.

We have way more stuff than we can display at one time.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, September 18: 

They just show up while I'm at work. 

Who knows? Maybe it's magic elves. Or a random home furnishing portal that just puts stuff where it looks good.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, September 18: 

Hm.  Off the top of my head...

• Most of the posters and other artwork are prints from artists who came to Animazement, the yearly anime convention in Raleigh, NC.  Other artwork came from Topatoco (mostly Dresden Codak Department of Awareness prints) and from purchases at a local comic store that also carries anime merchandise (Foundation's Edge).  At least one poster came from Thinkgeek.  One poster we haven't hung yet is the poster for last year's Welcome to Night Vale show.  (Hanging over my computer desk is a print of Skuld from Oh! My Goddess.  I've had that print over my computer desk, wherever I've lived, since I bought it in 2000.)
  • We actually don't have any wedding pictures hung on our walls.  We keep meaning to do that but we haven't yet.
  • The bookshelves tend to have figures atop them from various anime or fairy sources.
  • The shelf of Gundam kits (mostly Gundam Wing) came from either online or local hobby stores that no longer exist.
  • Their companions on that shelf are my wife's vintage My Little Pony figures.  Where she got them, I don't know.
  • Other things atop the bookcases are leftovers from our wedding, including at least one vase with paper flowers and the cover for the card box.
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, September 18: 

My wife. I'm not allowed or even care to decorate. At the farm a lot of the decoration belonged to my parents first. So I have a set of 7' wide long horns in the living room and a couple western paintings my aunt did. The rest is all my wife. In town I don't think there's a single thing that was my choice on display. I am occasionally asked my advice about larger things.

• Like 9

Tuesday, September 18: 

Souvenirs from a lifetime of travel and a few quite good artworks, some of them inherited.

• Like 9

Tuesday, September 18: 

Looking around at the walls it's a mix of family heirlooms,  scenic prints from places we've traveled, home store bric-a-brac, and quilts I've made.  DH has nerd posters in his office, and we have some anime and game related posters in the basement. 

• Like 9

Tuesday, September 18: 

Everywhere?

Since my entire family is creative and artistically inclined, we have a crap ton of stuff that was created by some one in the family.   The bulk of it is stained glass by my wife, her mom or her dad; or paintings by me, my dad or my son.  That's topped off by my wife's garage and craft sale finds, and my star wars and star trek toys, plus things we like from places like Hobby Lobby, Michael's and various stores we wander through on our travels. 

We do have an area of the home that is beach themed, which is an eclectic collection of anything ocean related we find.   My wife's latest stained glass piece was supposed to go there, but we wound up placing it in the kitchen window this weekend because it is far more beautiful in the light there:
IMG_2480.thumb.JPG.30cd21251ce500c4f412298baed0077c.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, September 18: 

Most everything I own as decoration are hand-me-downs. Then there are thrift stores (Value-Village being my go to store for years.)

Aside from that, there hasn't been any decoration revolution in my life in years.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, September 18: 

Most of them came with Husband. Otherwise we get a lot of art prints from KS. My favorite place for non-game related prints is Neverwear.

• Like 9