redambrosia

Getting to Know You: Sept 2018

Yar, I be a day late an' a dollar short!

Thursday, September 30: Tell me yer favorite pirate stories, ye filthy bilge rats!

Arrrr... that be harsh... I luv ye all, me hearties!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Thursday, September 30: Tell me yer favorite pirate stories, ye filthy bilge rats!

Yellowbeard.

I'm also partial to the ReBoot episodes featuring the Crimson Binome.  (And most of the rest of the series.)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

The English pirate Ben Hornigold once attacked a ship just to steal their hats, because his men had thrown their hats overboard while drunk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I once copied a VHS tape... without authorization! And saw a movie that was made for private home use and *not* a public party in college.

I think I've been a fugitive from the FBI since the 80s. My evasion skills must be god-like as they still haven't caught me.

[Hears knock on the door. Hides under table.] "NOBODY'S HOME!"

A flawless strategy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I was on a ship once which was boarded by pirates off Indonesia.

The captain and I managed to lock ourselves in his cabin (where the ships safe was).

The pirates demanded that we open the cabin and give them the safe keys. When we refused they started to cut fingers and ears off the crew and drop them down the ventilation grilles to where we were hiding.

Sorry, but there is nothing remotely entertaining about pirates. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 8

My only pirate stories are all about loitering off of the coast of Africa looking for them and then callimg in their location to the multinational surface task Force.  Subs are good for trailing them, but not to good at boarding actions.  We left that to guys like Chaoswolf.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Bartholomew Roberts, called "Black Bart" after his death and the inspiration for "The Dread Pirate Roberts", was an actual Welsh pirate who worked off the Americas and West Africa in the early 18th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartholomew_Roberts

My favorite pirate movie is not The Princess Bride, though I really like that movie, but rather Swashbuckler, which is a vastly underrated and visually spectacular adventure movie with great actors and a very quotable script.

And real pirates are indeed the scum of the earth who should be exterminated like any other dangerous vermin.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Dread Pirate Roberts from Princess Bride would have to be my choice. Cary Elwes  is an absolute gentleman in person, by the way.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I deny everything!

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Real pirates:

Parents were refugees from Vietnam due to the war. They had giving all their money to the captain of the ship and so they only had the clothes on their backsand whatever food/water the ship crew provided. Lots of people died from malnourishment. They were with the group that was closest to the back of the hold.

Pirates had boarded and started taking people prisoners. I dont know what they were thinking or why they wanted hundreds of malnourished refugees with no money. My family was close to the door when the pirates told the less than 100 to go back because their ship was full. Luck(?) Was on my parents side. If not, I would not exist. 

I hope those people are safe or met a clean end. As for the pirates, I hope they died horrible and extremely painful deaths. Maybe there was a profit to hunt down refugees or they followed in steps of the thai pirates or the nanking incident, either way. Burn in the extreme pits of hell for targeting people that were already at the pits of despair. 

Fantastical pirates: Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean 1. Who would have thunk a movie could be made from a ride.

• Like 4
  • Sad 8

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I once embezzled Tang.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not exactly a pirate story, but a story that @pcklnt  has reminded me about;

Back in the mid-1970's when I first went to sea I was on a small general cargo ship in the South China Sea. We came across a pair of small craft, full of Vietnamese refugees. One was in fair condition, but towing another that was almost sinking. Both overcrowded with many young and elderly who were in a bad way, and a storm coming on. We lowered boats and, after a heart-stopping couple of hours as the seas got steeper, managed to transfer everybody onto our ship. Far too many people to fit into our accommodation, so we housed the sick cases and built temporary shelter for the rest. Shared out what clothing we had and generally fed and watered everybody as we made for the next port.

What really sticks in my mind was listening in to the Captain, (who was a proper old British Master of vast experience,) go on the radio to tell the ship owners what was going on. The Ship Manager was also an ex-mariner, so they both took rescue of survivors as part of the nature of life at sea and just... something you took care of. However what completely flummoxed both of these very capable men was that there were now 50+ women on board, so the Captain had to request, (and the manager to understand,) that certain feminine products were now urgently required. Two men who would happily sail in a hurricane or fight a fire were reduced to red-faced incomprehension.     

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Thursday, September 30: ...favorite pirate stories...

:poke: Except for the part where Red’s rogue calendar is 10 Days Early... :huh:

My calendar (the one in my smart-alecky phone) is also up to odd tricks:

Thursday, Sept 20: What in the world is “Ashura”, anyone know or observing it ?

I am [reliably?] informed by my phone’s calendar that it is a US Holiday but that the precise date is only an approximation :huh: which might be today-ish, the 20th.

(You guys feel free to help Red Escape from her Rogue Calendar if answering piratically or try the Alt question which may correspond to your calendar’s numbering scheme.)

Edited by TGP
I will post a clean copy of the alt question in a few minutes
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1