Sign in to follow this  
redambrosia

Getting to Know You: Sept 2018

Thursday, Sept 20: What in the world is “Ashura”; does anyone know++ or are you observing it ?

Edited by TGP
++without google searching, obviously
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, TGP said:

Thursday, Sept 20: What in the world is “Ashura”; does anyone know++ or are you observing it ?

Not familiar with it - sorry, had to google to verify previous poster's statements. It is a lovely word, and reminds me of the night elves in WoW. 

I'm not observing this holiday. I'm not religious in any fashion really, aside from brief bouts of Judaism which are mostly just an excuse to light pretty candles and eat food. Eating food is my main holiday motivation. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, TGP said:

not one of the holidays I care about.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TGP said:

Never heard of it before now. A quick google search gave me lots of information about the ancient god Ashur which also has nothing to do with it. A slightly more indepth search reveals that I now know what it is and have more interest in the Ashur results.

10 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Eating food is my main holiday motivation. 

Mine too. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Heard the term before, but in a different context.

After Googling it, I see it involves fasting... and I already had lunch. I think I disqualified myself by default. Just remembering the amount of bacon I ate during ReaperCon makes me an infidel in many, many religions (be it because it's pork; over indulgence; meat on a Friday, etc. ). But an infidel with bacon!

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Before this?  Never heard of it. 

But it does remind me of wily Asurans.  Never offer to help with an experiment of theirs.... 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Yar, I be a day late an' a dollar short!

Thursday, September 30: Tell me yer favorite pirate stories, ye filthy bilge rats!

Arrrr... that be harsh... I luv ye all, me hearties!

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

The English pirate Ben Hornigold once attacked a ship just to steal their hats, because his men had thrown their hats overboard while drunk.

I can totally see that happening. :lol:

9 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

My only pirate stories are all about loitering off of the coast of Africa looking for them and then callimg in their location to the multinational surface task Force.  Subs are good for trailing them, but not to good at boarding actions.  We left that to guys like Chaoswolf.

Funny you mention that...

Yup, I've done a fair amount of pirate hunting in those waters. It's amazing how brave they are when they have the upper hand over some poor unarmed merchant vessel. They never seemed very eager to take on a destroyer, though. I guess they didn't like the odds of a few AK-47's versus 2 25mm chainguns, 2 dual .50 cals, and 4 single mount .50 cals.

Oh, and a 5" gun.

When we boarded such vessels, we were armed to the teeth and wore desert style camouflage uniforms with no insignia whatsoever on them. With no markings, it left them to wonder if we were Marines, SEALS, or something else entirely. Looking scary as hell was very useful for us; on one occasion we actually saw them tossing their weapons into the ocean as we were approaching.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 9

7 hours ago, TGP said:

:poke: Except for the part where Red’s rogue calendar is 10 Days Early... :huh:

My calendar (the one in my smart-alecky phone) is also up to odd tricks:

Thursday, Sept 20: What in the world is “Ashura”, anyone know or observing it ?

I am [reliably?] informed by my phone’s calendar that it is a US Holiday but that the precise date is only an approximation :huh: which might be today-ish, the 20th.

(You guys feel free to help Red Escape from her Rogue Calendar if answering piratically or try the Alt question which may correspond to your calendar’s numbering scheme.)

I plead tired brain! My fingers betrayed me! The keyboard on this phone is tiny ::(:

7 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Eating food is my main holiday motivation. 

Same. And decorations. I celebrated the start of Spooky Time by hanging my Spooky Decoration on my door.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Heard the term before, but in a different context.

After Googling it, I see it involves fasting... and I already had lunch. I think I disqualified myself by default. Just remembering the amount of bacon I ate during ReaperCon makes me an infidel in many, many religions (be it because it's pork; over indulgence; meat on a Friday, etc. ). But an infidel with bacon!

Entirely agree with this sentiment. There is no creed, philosophy or morality that I would ever allow to stand between me and a bacon sandwich.

• Haha 5