Saturated September!

1 hour ago, strawhat said:

"Good" and "kind" are not the same thing!

Excellent work on the gate and beholder.

Haha, so true! I mean, I started them off locked in separate cells in a dungeon wearing burlap sacks and none of their equipment and they still like me! ::P:

Thanks! I painted up the whole fence, I just didn't take very good photos. Tweaked those photos with a filter to brighten it up. Too lazy to reset up my stuff to take better photos. (I forgot to change the position of my lights so all of my pictures were too dark.)

Anyway, still working on the drow sorceresses. Their faces have turned out nice so that is a bonus. The primer on them was/is HORRIBLE! I tried soaking them in Simple Green and after 3 days, none of the primer had budged. So, I just cleaned up mold lines and tried to scrape off the blobbiest spots of primer. One of the sorceresses has an abnormally small head. But yeah, the fact that their faces look nice at least gives me some hope. I am using Reaper's dusky skin triad on them and it's great. I hadn't used this particular triad before and am very pleased with the colors. I will snap a few photos later of their faces and post them up.

I have a few more Wizkids things to paint up because I do like some of the models but dang, that pre-prime primer is absolute garbage!

• Like 4
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My plan is to paint every day in September. I am going to see how much I can get finished. Even if it's only half an hour on some days, at least it will be something.   I am currently workin

More painting happened today so Saturated September is off to a good start! He is basically finished and now it is basing and special effects time. I have added some basing sand putty stuff to the bas

I fibbed! I was too excited and couldn't wait to take pictures. His saliva is mostly dry. Here is a photo and I will make a show off for him.  

Posted Images

Well, these photos definitely show the issues I was talking about with the primer and messiness. Good thing they are for table! Still a WIP but here are photos of the sorceresses.

Edit: Ok wow, the photos look like total garbage. They don't look as bad as the photos make them look! Wow! The photos super suck. Sorry about that! I guess you can get the gist but seriously, they don't look this bad!

20180913_222628.thumb.jpg.44cba603f8e2981614912ef57f5de0eb.jpg 20180913_221921.thumb.jpg.97c8f7b1eea2725e1747ac98ababf97f.jpg

Edited by Pochi
  • Like 8

Oh boy. So I looked to see if there were any painted examples of these two ladies and um.... Not really any painted examples but pictures from I guess Wizkids. Yeah, these minis do not look like the photo. They are supposed to have collars. I guess maybe that explains why the one's head looks so little. Seriously though, there is no texture on their necks. I doubt I do much tinkering with the one that is mostly painted. Not sure what I will do with the other one. Here is the picture for comparison. Oh yeah, I snapped off that spell effect so I could paint the figure.

elf-female-wizard.jpg.8493d6fa47c6ef48b371541171d87042.jpg

• Like 3

I have still been painting. I missed Sunday because it was my D&D day and I was tired after the game. Still pretty good, only missed one day.

Anyway, I am currently painting a gypsy wagon. It's really pretty and bright colors. The back door is chained shut with a padlock. There is a sign. What should the sign say? Some ideas so far are: 

"Back in 5"

"Baby on board"

A picture of an eye like a gypsy fortune teller.

Any other suggestions?

• Like 5

Here are a couple WIP pictures of the gypsy vardo. You can see the sign I am talking about. I am not sure with everything else being painted so brightly that the sign would be regular wood. I think once I decide what the sign should say, then I can decide what color the plank should be.

I know it is super bright colors but I figured I wanted to paint it my favorite colors, especially if I ever get to play my d&d gypsy bard.

20180920_212406.thumb.jpg.07f5b902933038c7e4f872d63857ef79.jpg

20180920_212337.thumb.jpg.062cfcc3e3944a5c8c9bf713e3205137.jpg

• Like 13

Re: Beholder - I'm pretty sure that's the best version of that figure I've seen!

Re: Sorceresses - That's so weird that they didn't come with their collars! Did you finish them up anyway? You should! No worries about the pics - I've been battling that for ages! I hate that feeling of "but this looks so much better in person, I swear!" I'm all too familiar with it.

Re: Gypsy Wagon - I like the fortune teller sign idea the most, but it definitely be as whimsical as the rest of it because good golly, friend! :wub::wub::wub: LOVE it! The bright colours work perfectly for it! I've been wanting that gypsy wagon ever since you told me about it, but haven't been able to get my hands on one yet. Now I need it even more! I think I'd like 2, really, one to paint up dark and spooky and 1 to paint whimsical and bright!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Guindyloo said:

Re: Beholder - I'm pretty sure that's the best version of that figure I've seen!

Re: Sorceresses - That's so weird that they didn't come with their collars! Did you finish them up anyway? You should! No worries about the pics - I've been battling that for ages! I hate that feeling of "but this looks so much better in person, I swear!" I'm all too familiar with it.

Re: Gypsy Wagon - I like the fortune teller sign idea the most, but it definitely be as whimsical as the rest of it because good golly, friend! :wub::wub::wub: LOVE it! The bright colours work perfectly for it! I've been wanting that gypsy wagon ever since you told me about it, but haven't been able to get my hands on one yet. Now I need it even more! I think I'd like 2, really, one to paint up dark and spooky and 1 to paint whimsical and bright!

Thank you! The beholder was a lot of fun and so hard to decide on colors! I am happy with the colors I chose. Shocker, it had to have purple!

I finished the first sorceress, I should take her photo and post it here. The second one is sitting on the table. She got pushed aside when I wanted to paint the gypsy wagon. I will go ahead and finish her up. I seriously wish I could figure out something to strip the primer off of them. They would be so much better without the primer! I actually think the collars are probably on there but the primer is so thick, it has completely covered any detail that would indicate the collars are there. :down:

I would love to get several of the gypsy wagons but I don't really want 3 or 4 of the rest of the set. And not sure what they cost in the states, they are $50 a set here. Kind of steep when I mainly want just the wagons! But yeah, I would paint up a whole caravan. I would also like one that has the wood showing through the paint and looks more worn. I am considering chopping the horn off the Bones unicorn and see if I can reposition him a little and paint him as a gypsy vanner horse to go with the wagon. And thanks! Glad you like the colors. I was hoping it wasn't too "Candyland", especially with the striped curtains. ::P:

• Like 3

I've missed 2 days but I still feel pretty good about how much I have been painting.

Ok, thoughts on a base for the gypsy wagon. First of all, is it big enough? Second, not sure how to attach it to the base. I would usually pin but there isn't really a place to put a pin. My second thought was greenstuff/milliput/putty to sink it into a little. But, that makes it so I would have to paint under the wagon and do all of the glue and flock and try not to get it all over my he wagon.

I also positioned the wagon to the side and centrally on the base. There will be grass and flowers on the base. Not sure I plan on adding anything else.

Any thought?

20180927_150113.thumb.jpg.ef3d73ffbe3cfed33116747d4285b73f.jpg

20180927_150142.thumb.jpg.c7ba706a519356d00ea57f5c2265a340.jpg

20180927_150205.thumb.jpg.a0fd217c0239491ffde05a7adffd0b5e.jpg

20180927_150349.thumb.jpg.5db1dc1ce426f625bf1df3fba44db99d.jpg

• Like 9

This is coming along nicely! I do have a few thoughts though. Wherever you do end up attaching it to the base, make sure that if you put flock or dirt under the cart, that you make the wagon wheel impressions in it. Otherwise, it'll look like you just glued it on there. Also, make sure to add some wear and tear to the paint on the wheels, as just moving it around some would begin stripping it if it were in real life. Even going as far as adding wear and tear to the bottom of the cart where rocks and debris hit it will add a touch of realism.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, LarsM said:

Looks great! 

I vote for placement on picture 2.

Is it possible to put pins in the wheels? , maybe 2 would be enough.. 

The wagon look like it is parked, so maybe some camping stuff.. 

Thanks!

I thought about trying to pin the wheels but there just isn't a whole lot of room to try and put a pin. I may try it. Even if I mess it up, you won't see the bottom of the wheel once it is somehow attached to the base anyway.

I also liked it off to the left with as much of the wagon and shafts on the base as possible. I also have the rest of the camping set and did consider putting a few of the other pieces on the base. Maybe a pouch and a book? Or maybe the cooking pot and campfire. I don't want it to be too cluttery. It will most likely see table time.

2 hours ago, Mr Melons said:

This is coming along nicely! I do have a few thoughts though. Wherever you do end up attaching it to the base, make sure that if you put flock or dirt under the cart, that you make the wagon wheel impressions in it. Otherwise, it'll look like you just glued it on there. Also, make sure to add some wear and tear to the paint on the wheels, as just moving it around some would begin stripping it if it were in real life. Even going as far as adding wear and tear to the bottom of the cart where rocks and debris hit it will add a touch of realism.

I already had the thought about the ruts. I am really trying to not have to paint the base with the wagon attached. I think I might mark on the base where the wheels line up and then add a little more of the sand putty since I have a rough idea of where the wagon will sit on the base now.

As for the wheels, I also thought about the painted wheels issue. I could have just painted them like wood, however, looking at pictures of old vardos, the wheels are painted, often with intricate little flower designs and such on the spokes and around the wheel. Now I could do the outer edge like plain wood as some also looked like that. Also, having never driven horse drawn anything, would wooden wheels going at a horse's walk or at most trot throw rocks up? It's not like rubber that picks things up and throws it like car tires, which are also going at a much faster speed. They weren't going to be driving these wagons fast either as they carried everything they owned in them, usually including a cook stove and a glass front china cabinet.

It's also really hard to find good reference photos because original photos are all black and white (or sepia) so hard to tell what is going on. Of course photos now, the vardos have all been restored and hardly see any road time except maybe a parade or something.

I do have some weathering pigment from Vallejo that I could put on the wheels to dirty them up a bit. Now I need to go research more and see if I can find out how they kept their painted wheels looking nice! ::D:

The wagon isn't very authentic anyway. The door should be in front, not the back. Not a big deal though, I still love it and want more and wish you could buy them independently of the camping set!

Edit: Ok, found lots and lots and lots of wagons with painted wheels, like pretty much all of them. I so far have not found anything about how they kept the paint from chipping. /shrug

Edited by Pochi
  • Like 2

If you do some weathering with the Pigment, please show us how.. I want to try those things out, but havent yet tried it. 

But I like the vibrant colors for it! 

Would'nt they have a metal ring on the wheels, as a "tyre"?

Edited by LarsM
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LarsM said:

If you do some weathering with the Pigment, please show us how.. I want to try those things out, but havent yet tried it. 

But I like the vibrant colors for it! 

Would'nt they have a metal ring on the wheels, as a "tyre"?

I have found no mention of a metal ring on the wheels in any of the research I have done. Everything I am reading is pointing to painted wooden wheels.

I've only used the pigment once before so we'll see how it goes!

• Like 2

Speaking of fancy decorated wheels....

I have been considering painting some flowers or something in the four side panels and maybe painting some flowers around the wheels. On the one hand, I think with all of the bright colors it doesn't need anything else and might be too much. On the other hand, original vardos were gaudy as all heck and they did it on purpose. The more decorated and fancy it was, it showed off their wealth. Then again, if it is for my little gypsy bard, she's probably not rolling in the gold...yet!

I like it and don't want to ruin it!

• Like 2