Sign in to follow this  
goblu79

ReaperCon and the gaming..

My second ReaperCon is now in the rearview (for me), and overall it was very enjoyable. I took no classes, but played in a good few 5e games. However, I do have a bit of a bone to pick in regard to the gaming. I registered for games through the Grow Tix website for Thursday and Friday. However, the GM's appeared to be generally unaware of the registration and things pretty much went "first come, first served". This was okay, until Friday night. I had registered for the Pathfinder 2E Playtest game, that Grow Tix listed at 4pm. The ReaperCon schedule showed the game at 7pm. So, I showed up at seven. Problem was, it wasn't a 2E test game, it was a Pathfinder Society game, and a "sign up sheet" was used to determine who would be playing. I was unaware that a signup sheet existed for the game.  I didn't really mind giving up my seat to those who signed up, but it did kinda screw me over for the rest of the night, as other games filled up and I was left sitting around without much to do. 

I don't mind that the games are loosely organized, but it would be nice if this was explained beforehand. If they are going to be "first come first served", then it would also be nice if there wasn't any schedule posted that includes signup as this sort of led me down a primrose path. Other than this little hiccup, everything was great. 

Thank you for putting on an excellent convention Reaper!! I really do mean this as constructive criticism. 

• Like 3

definitely some issues with gaming regs, the cthulhu game on Friday and Saturday couldnt be signed up for. 

• Like 1

There were quite a few issues with Growtix that will hopefully prevent these types of problems in the future once they get resolved.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2018 at 12:58 AM, goblu79 said:

My second ReaperCon is now in the rearview (for me), and overall it was very enjoyable. I took no classes, but played in a good few 5e games. However, I do have a bit of a bone to pick in regard to the gaming. I registered for games through the Grow Tix website for Thursday and Friday. However, the GM's appeared to be generally unaware of the registration and things pretty much went "first come, first served". This was okay, until Friday night. I had registered for the Pathfinder 2E Playtest game, that Grow Tix listed at 4pm. The ReaperCon schedule showed the game at 7pm. So, I showed up at seven. Problem was, it wasn't a 2E test game, it was a Pathfinder Society game, and a "sign up sheet" was used to determine who would be playing. I was unaware that a signup sheet existed for the game.  I didn't really mind giving up my seat to those who signed up, but it did kinda screw me over for the rest of the night, as other games filled up and I was left sitting around without much to do. 

I don't mind that the games are loosely organized, but it would be nice if this was explained beforehand. If they are going to be "first come first served", then it would also be nice if there wasn't any schedule posted that includes signup as this sort of led me down a primrose path. Other than this little hiccup, everything was great. 

Thank you for putting on an excellent convention Reaper!! I really do mean this as constructive criticism. 

This is how it has always been though.  The GM's never get lists of attendees that have registered.  It's always been a work in progress.  Not sure if that will ever change tho. Honestly, they should just sell generic "game tickets" and the games become "first come first serve", since it already is anyways.

• Like 3

Not sure aboit the Pathfinder games bit my experience with the 5E games was favorable.  Haley at the muster station seemed pretty orginized and she could access all of the games and those who signed up for them.  The main problem I ran into was that for several of the games I signed up for, we didnt habe enough players for a legal table.  This resulted in some last minute shuffling.  Pluss past me decided to make the calander entried an hour in advance to help future me be on time.  But future me kept forgetting that.

• Like 3

a suggestion for future games when it comes to filling tables: 

could we maybe start a forum topic or text list so people could get notified that there are empty seats available?  Just a though, but I had a few times where I was looking for some gaming but didn't have any clue what might be available and what was full.  That could be me I guess, but some way for the GMs to let people know that there are slots available, especially at tables that have player minimums might help everyone out.

Might also help to stagger the start times of some of the games by 15 or 30 minutes so if a game runs over or a class runs late there are still opportunities.

Just some thoughts.  I am not a greatly organized person and tend to operate by the last minute for many things I do.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Might also help to stagger the start times of some of the games by 15 or 30 minutes so if a game runs over or a class runs late there are still opportunities.

For the most part GMs decide their start times. 

• Like 2

I had two day games that ran with just 3 players, which was not really enough. Also, Thursday night, the table before us ran very, very late. My GM was going to run his whole 5E adventure, but the hotel (I think) made us stop at Midnight. Would be nice to have been able to use one of those empty tables in the big hall when the group before us took too long. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, goblu79 said:

I had two day games that ran with just 3 players, which was not really enough. Also, Thursday night, the table before us ran very, very late. My GM was going to run his whole 5E adventure, but the hotel (I think) made us stop at Midnight. Would be nice to have been able to use one of those empty tables in the big hall when the group before us took too long. 

You should have been able to finish. I was down in the area very late most of the Con & even thou I was intoxicated :bday: I could see that games were still going on. Also I was the table 8 GM the entire Con, after I packed up for the night & noticed a few groups using the table afterwards. Again, I don't see why you couldn't switch tables.

Also Growtix did do some funky things to my games as well. I only ran 3 out of the 7 games I had planned/submitted. Everyone of my morning games started at 9 am. On all of my planning sheets & such I have a 10 am start time, except for Saturday. Being that I was running 3 games that day I DID slot that one at 9. So going into those days thinking I had a 10 am game & finding out it was 9 was a bit disappointing, but what can you do. 

I did have a couple people for my late Saturday game, but I had to turn them away due to not being able to fill the table. I hate doing that, but when the adventure I have planned requires at least a min (in this case 4), it doesn't make for a fun adventure. I did this last year.

I was able to run the main game I had planned (The Haunt) which I was thankful & I did run the highest level game I brought (8th) Dead Mill, with Kristof64, his son, HerzogBrian & a Con goer (didn't get his name, but hey he played a goblin monk!!) & it was a very enjoyable game. I'm hoping the sequel is out by the time I make back to RCon. It would be a nice bookend for the adventures. 

Goblin game went great. One player lost both ears in the dares. All the players got beat up in the dares & goblins blew themselves up at the end (2 years in a row)!! It's funny, I get so many request to play in the game, but the year I schedule it twice for the Con, I didn't get anyone for the second game. I think thou I may do the double shot again, as it's a fun time & pretty easy to run.

Again, thanks to all my players, I appreciate being your gamemaster for a few hours.

• Like 6

Personally, as a GM I could see that people had signed up on growtix.  But I had to actually know to go back there and look because there were no email notifications. 

I think the growtix system might have worked better with a little bit more obvious communication to check back or something.  For one, I only found it because of a FB post and then later found the link on the site which was just the word 'growtix' hyperlinked.

• Like 2