nytflyr

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

What would I love for them to put in, more than anything else, by August?  Sidewalks.

12 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

This year, I vowed to find a grocery store after we check in and make better use of the room's fridge and kitchenette.  For lunches, I'll happily eat PBJ or a quick sandwich after the mega-breakfast (and save some $$ for the vendor hall).

There's a WinCo Foods about half a mile from the hotel and an Albertsons a bit farther.  I plan to visit the WinCo Foods shortly after I check in this year.

If you don't have a car, I recommend bringing an empty backpack and a water bottle.  You can put groceries in the backpack and the water bottle will keep you hydrated.

• Like 5

On 2/21/2019 at 8:22 PM, Xiwo Xerase said:

What would I love for them to put in, more than anything else, by August?  Sidewalks.

There's a WinCo Foods about half a mile from the hotel and an Albertsons a bit farther.  I plan to visit the WinCo Foods shortly after I check in this year.

If you don't have a car, I recommend bringing an empty backpack and a water bottle.  You can put groceries in the backpack and the water bottle will keep you hydrated.

I saw WinCo on google maps too.  Missed it last year but admittedly didn't venture too far east of the Embassy Suites. 

We'll most likely have  a car again this year; thoroughly enjoyed last year's road trip south.  Hopefully we can get in a little earlier; last year we basically walked in and went straight to pizza on Wednesday.

I also saw something on google maps called a Killer's Tacos that apparently serves Tacos and Beer.  Those are two of my favorite food groups! :winkthumbs:

• Like 5

Yay, time off for Reapercon approved! (I requested it as soon as the dates were confirmed, but the system at work wouldn't let them approve it until now)

• Like 10

I made 2018 sound so good that Mrs. Holk is coming along with me this year! We booked our room at the venue last month, and we're both pretty excited. Last year, I spent most of the time in classes, but this year will be more about the other aspects, ie. Taking the tour, doing more of the painting challenges, etc. I'm also looking forward to socializing with you lot more this year. I'm not always as active on here as I'd like to be, but now that I'll have a year under my belt, it'll be good to put some faces with screen names and get to converse on a more casual level.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2019 at 6:59 PM, Zoxe said:

We've been talking about how we'll approach this year.  Last year we didn't leave the convention center very much, and ended up eating at Houlihan's quite a bit (which we enjoyed).  This year, I vowed to find a grocery store after we check in and make better use of the room's fridge and kitchenette.  For lunches, I'll happily eat PBJ or a quick sandwich after the mega-breakfast (and save some $$ for the vendor hall).

That's what we did.  We brought a cooler full of sandwich stuff down with us, that way we could have sandwiches whenever any of us had time, and we didn't need to make time in our schedules for dinner.  We did go out once or twice, but mostly the three of us were on such different schedules that it just didn't work to meet for lunch and dinner each day. Plus sandwiches and snacks are a much cheaper way to feed a teen boy on the road than out to eat every meal. :lol:

• Like 10

If you like tacos, you should make a trip out to Torchy’s Tacos, a mile or so away.  Torchy’s is a regional chain out of Austin well known for inventive tacos and killer queso.  I took my Maryland friends there last year and they liked it so much that we went back the next day.

Ron

• Like 8

16 hours ago, vutpakdi said:

If you like tacos, you should make a trip out to Torchy’s Tacos, a mile or so away.  Torchy’s is a regional chain out of Austin well known for inventive tacos and killer queso.  I took my Maryland friends there last year and they liked it so much that we went back the next day.

Ron

I second this. I liked it so much that I seriously considered franchising one in Pittsburgh!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, HolkDiggity said:

I second this. I liked it so much that I seriously considered franchising one in Pittsburgh!

It was THE PLACE to eat when they got a couple here in DFW area.  Now...it is just another place with some yummy food.  I rarely visit the place but when i do enjoy my monster breakfast tacos that I usually get.  The Hipster is a good one if you like tuna and avocado.

• Like 4

Listening to the February AMA for the PaintingBig Patreon, @Vaitalla said that a previous ReaperCon exclusive paint color was going to be making an encore appearance in 2019.

Sounds like if you can get @knarthex and Anne together you would qualify for 2 ribbons (Snorkel & what Anne passes out with the paint).

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TripleH said:

Listening to the February AMA for the PaintingBig Patreon, @Vaitalla said that a previous ReaperCon exclusive paint color was going to be making an encore appearance in 2019.

Sounds like if you can get @knarthex and Anne together you would qualify for 2 ribbons (Snorkel & what Anne passes out with the paint).

I don't /really/ need help earning snorkle ribbons... admittedly, I do need @knarthex to be in earshot. >.>

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, TripleH said:

Dang it, I was hoping to hoard... keep...uhh... all the legendary drow paint for myself. There will be more than 100 bottles this time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, nakos said:

Dang it, I was hoping to hoard... keep...uhh... all the legendary drow paint for myself. There will be more than 100 bottles this time. 

I never said what the paint color was. 

• Like 3

On 2/21/2019 at 9:52 PM, Xiwo Xerase said:

I'm pretty sure, if my memory is right, that the WinCo is also on the same side of the road(s) as the hotel.  The Wal-Mart across the multilane is where we found the delicious unicorn cereal that made my trip complete, but the WinCo is probably a lot easier to get to.  

I mss that unicorn cereal.  

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I'm pretty sure, if my memory is right, that the WinCo is also on the same side of the road(s) as the hotel.

It is!  I walked by it a few times on my way to other places (mostly meals).

It'd be nice if we have sidewalks all the way to it this year.

• Like 3