Jump to content

nytflyr

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

Recommended Posts

On 3/28/2019 at 7:07 AM, OneBoot said:

I'm cautiously optimistic about my chances of attending this year, so I went ahead and booked a room just in case. I'll know for certain in a month or two. 

 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

 

 

Same here. I won't know for "sure" until (probably) a month before the con, but I'm hoping have a good enough idea to start booking the rest of the trip sooner than that.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has almost definitely been asked before, but I am curious now and can't find it. If I come to reapercon, I will be flying. Has anyone experienced issues while flying with paints or other items? I want to be able to plan ahead, and I know I'll be getting new paints while at the con. Should I plan on shipping them home?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

This has almost definitely been asked before, but I am curious now and can't find it. If I come to reapercon, I will be flying. Has anyone experienced issues while flying with paints or other items? I want to be able to plan ahead, and I know I'll be getting new paints while at the con. Should I plan on shipping them home?

If they're checked there's no issues, just make sure the cap is on tight and in a sealed bag/ container just in case. For carry on, most paints fall under the 3oz limit just put them in a clear quart (might be gallon) sized bag.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't have trouble, although my paint and other supplies went into checked luggage. I did put a note in the suitcase that said, essentially, 'Hi! I am an artist, and I am traveling with art supplies, including paint and paintbrushes, a hobby knife and other such tools.' There may have been an entirely sincere comment about appreciating their vigilance as well, but I didn't keep the note.

If you're doing carry on... yah. Clear plastic bag that may or may not be labeled 'Acrylic paint' (I want to label ALL THE THINGS, but I am never sure if that is wise or not). If you do check luggage... put your hobby knife and other pointy sharp things in it. To be safe. :/ Otherwise, seperate blades from handles. 

 

Mr. Thorne always has a good time at security check ins; they cannot figure out the GIANT METAL LUMP in his bag, and inevitably have to stop him and ask him to produce it and show them that it is nothing more dangerous than .... dice.

I had enough fun with them over my glasses last time (and I couldn't figure out what the issue could have been, so I was confused and concerned; they weren't bothered by my (empty!) travel cup, which I expected to be asked to open? but no, no, it was my glasses. Whut). 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

This has almost definitely been asked before, but I am curious now and can't find it. If I come to reapercon, I will be flying. Has anyone experienced issues while flying with paints or other items? I want to be able to plan ahead, and I know I'll be getting new paints while at the con. Should I plan on shipping them home?

 

If you're flying, I'd actually recommend shipping stuff home, not because you necessarily need to, but because it's so much nicer not to have to worry about it. I'll also note that there shouldn't be a problem with shipping stuff to the hotel as "Hold for the arrival of [Paradoxical Mouse] on [Date]." Business hotels do this pretty routinely, IME. (Though you might want to talk the hotel ahead of time if you want do this.)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

14 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

This has almost definitely been asked before, but I am curious now and can't find it. If I come to reapercon, I will be flying. Has anyone experienced issues while flying with paints or other items? I want to be able to plan ahead, and I know I'll be getting new paints while at the con. Should I plan on shipping them home?

 

I've taken paints and tools with me about a dozen times without incident. As @nakos suggested, I place them in a closed container (Reaper paint caddy or gallon-sized ziploc bag.), and placed the container in my luggage. Nothing has ever been harmed, although I routinely get a note from the TSA saying they inspected my luggage, especially flying home from DFW.

 

For what it's worth, I usually carry my competition pieces along with me as a "personal item", in a mini-sized TableWar case. A lot of TSA agents want to look at the minis, but they haven't hassled me yet.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 9:52 PM, klarg1 said:

Same here. I won't know for "sure" until (probably) a month before the con, but I'm hoping have a good enough idea to start booking the rest of the trip sooner than that.

 

Oh I hope so.  Really missed you last year, but you had something more important than us I guess. ::P:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

If you're flying, I'd actually recommend shipping stuff home, not because you necessarily need to, but because it's so much nicer not to have to worry about it. I'll also note that there shouldn't be a problem with shipping stuff to the hotel as "Hold for the arrival of [Paradoxical Mouse] on [Date]." Business hotels do this pretty routinely, IME. (Though you might want to talk the hotel ahead of time if you want do this.)

Did this for trade shows quite regularly when I traveled for work.  This is especially easy when it's a hotel attached to a convention center, they frequently have receiving areas/bullpens specifically for exhibitors who have to ship their stuff.  Some do require you to have a room reserved as well, but not necessarily always.   Although a lot of those are frequently shipping palleted freight, it still applies for UPS, and many of the larger hotel/convention centers will also have a UPS/fedex dropoff for return shipping.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I officially have primer on one of my Reapercon entries.  

 

No idea what to paint next, how to base it, or what the color scheme should be, but I have primer down!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zoxe said:

I officially have primer on one of my Reapercon entries.  

 

No idea what to paint next, how to base it, or what the color scheme should be, but I have primer down!

Which puts you a full layer of paint ahead of me.

GEM

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Which puts you a full layer of paint ahead of me.

GEM

Me too... but I've got the base started...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Which puts you a full layer of paint ahead of me.

GEM

 

I'm still working on an entry for ReaperCOn 2018. :down:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I officially have primer on one of my Reapercon entries.  

 

No idea what to paint next, how to base it, or what the color scheme should be, but I have primer down!

Way ahead of me. I haven't even picked a mini yet...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Way ahead of me. I haven't even picked a mini yet...

 

Me neither.  I did finally book a room, so  attending this year moved up to a "maybe".  Which means I really need to paint something!!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×