nytflyr

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

I've narrowed my potential list of dioramas down to 3. Progress! :bday:

...Except I need to just pick one of them. But I've never actually done a diorama before. Or built a base. Plus I want to do one of the FrozenNinja busts I just got so I can be eligible for their award too. 

I wish there was a digital way to transfer what's in my head onto my minis. This analog method takes waaay too long and is seriously limiting my creative process. :rolleyes:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, OneBoot said:

...Except I need to just pick one of them. But I've never actually done a diorama before. Or built a base. Plus I want to do one of the FrozenNinja busts I just got so I can be eligible for their award too. 

I wish there was a digital way to transfer what's in my head onto my minis. This analog method takes waaay too long and is seriously limiting my creative process. :rolleyes:

Huzzah! 

Definitely. Ive selected 15 or so figs and counting... Ive never finished more than 2. But, I have too many ideas!

• Like 3

I have one done and three more I want to do to try to hit some of the manufacturer categories. I probably won't finish them all in time :p

• Like 3

I have mine all planned out but have barely started. I have another big project I need to finish first but I slipped into major depression mode last year and am still fighting my way out. I am completely redoing my painting area and that has gotten me going a little bit so hopefully I can keep the momentum up and finish in time. Now if only my base from Dragon Forge will get here, I cannot start one of my dios without it.

• Like 5

I had mine started, screwed it up, started again, screwed it up, gave up, started a different mini for fun to get the nerves out, then got a ton of sculpts in the pipeline, and now I doubt I'll have anything done in time.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

22 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah! 

We came to Denton last year for the first time, and I didn't have anything ready to submit (had just crashed to get to Gencon submissions a few weeks prior, the thought of kicking off something new was ... not practical, hah. :)  ).  This year I'm planning at least 3 entries, including - like you - my first diorama.

Fresh back from Adepticon, I'm all full of nerd enthusiasm and have had a productive week at the bench.  Clearing some stuff off for our gaming campaign, then hopefully full-on Gencon and Reapercon submissions in a few weeks.  Then I went to order my diorama terrain supplies and found that the small business I planned to try is offline until almost Memorial Day for several consecutive conventions, and I imagine some well deserved time off.  But sent me into a mild panic because if I round up, that's June!  

• Like 5

On 4/2/2019 at 11:06 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oh I hope so.  Really missed you last year, but you had something more important than us I guess. ::P:

Haha, I think the bouncing convention dates around has messed a few people up over the last 2-3 years. 

On 4/3/2019 at 10:58 PM, Sylverthorne said:

I'm trying not to convince myself to try and build Lord Soth's throne room. Because I don't think I could do it justice. ;p

Soth, skeletal knights and banshees abounding :wub:

• Like 3

For all you Reapercon veternas:

Any advice for a 1st timer? I have a 9 year old that I took for a tour of reaper and she is getting excited about painting.

I am hoping there are some intro classes for both of us.

And is Thursday a big day? or are Friday and Saturday sufficient?

• Like 3

First off, welcome to the forums!

I can't say for certain, since classes haven't been announced yet for this year, but I can say that there have been a fair number of intro classes every year that I've been attending (4 so far).

What kind of intro are you looking for? "I painted my first figure yesterday", "I've been doing this for 6 months and want to get better at (fill in the blank)", or "I've never even touched a paint brush before"?

About classes: I would recommend no more than 2 per day; you get a lot of good info in the classes, and you need some time to process it before dashing off to the next class.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'big day', but Thursday is the first official day of the con; lots of excitement and cool stuff going on. That said, if you can only make it for Friday and Saturday, that's cool, too!

Maybe a good idea might be to wait until the classes are announced, and then see which classes you're interested in are on which day, and make your plans based on that info.

I hope this helped a little. If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Dimbus said:

Any advice for a 1st timer? I have a 9 year old that I took for a tour of reaper and she is getting excited about painting.

There are a lot of old threads that cover what to expect.  The details may be different from year to year but the general advice is sound. 

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/70822-reapercon-survival-kits/

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79939-first-time-to-reaper-con/

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/70129-reapercon-first-timer-what-do-i-need-to-know/

Just reading through the old threads in this section of the forum will get you an idea of what goes on at the con, and photos. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 6

On 4/6/2019 at 9:57 PM, Dimbus said:

I have been going since 2014.  When i started attending my daughter was 4 and painting along with me but I only took her up to Reapercon for the Sunday auction.  We did that for 2 years and then in 2016 she wanted to enter something and so I to get her up there on a Sat.  We found a great class for kids that is taught by Tish (@Duliniel) on Saturday mornings.  Took her to it and she loved learning a few new things that I tried to teach her but she never would really listen to what daddy had to say but the teacher go all the respect. :)  Since I am local i took her back home and drove back out so i could take a class on my own and then my wife brought her up for the painting awards.  She got a certificate of merit for her undead dragon, Nethyrmaul.

The next year my wife had decided she did not enjoy the drive up to Reapercon late at night with her so we found a class that Bob Ridolfi was teaching for basing which she had been getting into.  After that class we found things to do for many hours (including having Andy Pieper (@TaleSpinner) sit down with her for a bit and give her some basics on sculpting since she had also been showing an interest in doing that).  Then she got to go up during the award ceremony and get a bronze medal for her brain in a jar. This was a great Reapercon for both of us because I got to see her learn a lot more and get rewarded for the work she had done.  The smile on her face helped a lot too. :)

Last year was great because we got a new venue that made things feel like the first two Reapercons I attended.  We liked how the previous year worked out so I found a class for us both to take which was Andy's sculpting nature class.  We both took it and enjoyed learning more about sculpting flora and fauna along with rocks.  To help pass time I got her into Tish's class again after we had lunch and it was more for her to just paint something she was working on and to get some advice from Tish when she came around.  That night during the award ceremony she got two bronze medals. One for her Edna the crazy cat lady and the other for he pumpkin snowman .   We went back for the Auction on Sunday and she acquired enough Reaperbucks from so many great people in the community and was able to get a Sophie blanket which she really wanted.

So in short. There is plenty to do.  Last year Tish was not the only one teaching a class for kids so hopefully we see multiple classes this year too.  With it being during a school week she can only go with me on the weekend but that is fine because if I had to cart her up there every day I would probably not enjoy it as much. :)

Edited by hungerfan
  • Like 6

That is so awesome that you can share this with your family. I have tried loads of times over the years to get my grandkids interested in one of my hobbies, but not too much luck for the most part, Although my oldest grandson does play in our weekly RPG game. He did mention about  a month ago that since he finally had a job he was going to earn some money for paints because he was keyed up to paint his Dark Souls board game minis. So he got a couple Reaper beginner paint sets from Papa for his birthday last week :)  So who knows, maybe some year he will come with me if I get to go back after this year

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1