nytflyr

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

I can't wait to take your spots class, @TaleSpinner! And GBO is taking the "how not to suck" class.

I'm super excited that I managed to get him into 4 classes this year!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I don't think my anger goes to 5000.

That's even more than 11, innit.

In related news, I'm considering building an 18' Stonehenge diorama for the competition.

:poke:

Out of cocktail umbrellas?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So I have two things almost done, and one thing about halfway done ( all I need to do is paint it ), so now is a good time to take a break, right?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'm beginning to vibrate off the walls in excitement. Just ordered my t shirt (I had to get Sophie) and put in a Badger preorder. One entry is done, one is almost doneish. 

I don't know how I'm going to be able to wait two weeks. I also don't know how I'm going to be able to finish everything I have to get done in two weeks

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I only live 2 miles off I-35.  I'll be on the road with you somewhere.  We leave here early on Tuesday morning, stay in Guthrie, OK that night, and roll into the Hotel around noon on Wednesday.

Wave as you come through KC. Parts of I-35 are under construction right now, btw.  If it's not rush hour you should be fine.  We leave early Wed. and stop in Guthrie in the early afternoon for gas and ice cream, it's about the halfway point for us. 

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oh, fudge!  I just remembered that I need to sculpt 12 starter stumps for Sculpting Nature.  Well, I know what I am doing this weekend.

I think I am in that class, too. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

I'm jumping a few steps and heading straight to panicking!

The more I think I'm ready to do my diorama, the more I realize I can add stuff to it (I found a bunch of useful basing material at the dollar store). But the less time I'll have to accomplish it.

Pfft! Obviously you need a towel, like any proper hoopy frood would.

[Mental note: bring towel]

Mine's Purple and currently hanging from the back of the chair I sit in while painting.

GEM

Twinkle Twinkle

• Like 3

Did all the VIP tickets sell out?:wacko:

Cause I bought a ticket (though I'm supposed to get one free from gming, but that never works out in Time for me to get classes) and when I hit the link to upgrade my ticket it says nothing is available for upgrade at this time.:down:

• Sad 3

56 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

Did all the VIP tickets sell out?:wacko:

Cause I bought a ticket (though I'm supposed to get one free from gming, but that never works out in Time for me to get classes) and when I hit the link to upgrade my ticket it says nothing is available for upgrade at this time.:down:

VIP upgrades closed a bit ago. :down:

Maybe email Reaper and see if something can be worked out, or whether you can upgrade in person? 

Excited to see everyone!! :bday:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D

• Like 6

I guess in the whole prepping for origins, going to Alaska and prepping for Gen con summer whilwind I wasn't paying attention. 

I know I usually have to buy my badge even though I earn a free one cause of stuff like classes and the VIP upgrade, but I guess I didn't remember that closing before the con last year.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

This from the lady who speed painted Maldrakar.

:lol: And it half killed me in the process, lol. I'd rather be upright and at least semi-coherent at ReaperCon, for the sake of my students if nothing else. 

14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Use the bag shake method of Brown liner application.  I do still use my airbrush for base coating.  I still need to do that yet.  I am not removing any flash lines.  If students want the minis deflashed, they can do it after class as it doesn't really pertain to what we are doing in class. 

Oh yeah, none of them are getting straightened or trimmed, and washing will consist of tossing them all in a bin of lightly soapy water, sloshing them about vigorously, then giving them a good rinse-off. 

I know you've mentioned your Bag Shake method before, but could you refresh my memory, please? 

Huzzah! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

:lol: And it half killed me in the process, lol. I'd rather be upright and at least semi-coherent at ReaperCon, for the sake of my students if nothing else. 

Since when has being upright and semi-coherent been a requirement at ReaperCon?

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

Oh yeah, none of them are getting straightened or trimmed, and washing will consist of tossing them all in a bin of lightly soapy water, sloshing them about vigorously, then giving them a good rinse-off. 

I know you've mentioned your Bag Shake method before, but could you refresh my memory, please? 

Huzzah! 

Sure, since you really don't need an even coat of Brown Liner to get the benefits of it (really it just needs to stain the plastic), you can do a speed coat using a gallon Ziplock bag or large jar.

1. Wash and dry the minis (like you, I wash them in mass in a tub with water and Simple Green; then do a thorough rinse and dry).

2. Into a gallon ziplock bag, add brown liner and water at a ratio of 5 to 1.  I typically get a bottle when I order my class minis from Reaper, and then use about 1/2 to 3/4 of a bottle in the bag.  This can coat a lot of minis.  I've done about 50 before on a half bottle.

3. Add minis to the bag until it is about 1/2 full. (This works best with smaller minis.  If you have larger figures, have a few little ones in there to to bounce around and coat the big ones.)

4. Blow air in the bag to puff it out and then seal it.

5. Shake the heck out of the bag, making the minis bounce all over the place.  Do this for at least a minute or two.

6. Use a forceps to remove the minis (don't dump them as you will want to save the brown liner for later) and place them in the center of a rag (I use an old bath towel that ripped in half).

7. Bring the corners of the rag together forming a bag with the minis inside; grip it tightly above the minis and shake them in the towel bag to remove the excess BL.

8. Put them on a paper towel to dry.

9. They will likely be light brown with splotches of darker brown.  This works fine as a basecoat as the light brown film is really all you need to get the paint to stick tight (yes, I have tested it).  That said, you can let them dry and then repeat steps 3 through 8  again to get them darker and more evenly coated.

10.  Any areas not coated likely were not completely clean.  Clean them carefully and hand touch up those spots.

By the way, if there is any left over BL in the bag, just seal the bag and put it away for later; it will keep for months.  I should note that this method doesn't work well for single figures.  It is the minis all bouncing around hitting each other that coats them.

Typically with this method, I can have all 30 minis for my two classes done in a half hour.  Then I airbrush on the base coat colors so that my classes don't waste time base coating the minis in class. That usually takes me about 2 to 3 hours.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I tried your shake liner method with bones black from the Kickstarter but it didn't seem to work. I may not have used enough brown liner actually

I will probably do my class minis unlinered and just wash / glue them. It seemed to work okay last time. Doing all those temple dragons wouldn't be easy in my hotel room, and I already have to wash and glue them together the day before in my room 

Edited by Sirithiliel

4 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

I guess in the whole prepping for origins, going to Alaska and prepping for Gen con summer whilwind I wasn't paying attention. 

I know I usually have to buy my badge even though I earn a free one cause of stuff like classes and the VIP upgrade, but I guess I didn't remember that closing before the con last year.

E-mail reaper. I'm always timid about asking for info about things they promised and they are always happy to get things taken care of even if its last minute. 

@TaleSpinner, @Inarah and anyone else driving through Guthrie on I-35 I recommend either Stables restaurant downtown  or Tokyo Sushi right by the interstate. 

Also glad to know I'm not the only instructor with last minute prep. 

• Like 3

Well goody, first ReaperCon nightmare has made an appearance. :wacko: 

I dreamed I'd somehow overslept and missed the first two classes I was supposed to teach. On top of having to deal with the consequences of that, I was also super bummed that one of them was my brand new class, which Reaper would never let me teach again because I'd blown it.

Waking up was rather disorienting, and I had to check both my calendar and the forums a few times before I managed to convince my sleepy brain that ReaperCon hadn't happened yet. :blink:

Huzzah! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

I've had Reapercon dreams, too, but mine are about what treasures I might find at the Warlord booth.

I don't even know if it will be a retail booth.  I'm just assuming based on them having two spots and Reaper saying there's no demo booths this year.  

But I made a promise not to spend more than 200.  300.  Definitely no more than 500.  Certainly not 800.  And there's no way I'll blow all 1500.  2000.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

But I made a promise not to spend more than 200.  300.  Definitely no more than 500.  Certainly not 800.  And there's no way I'll blow all 1500.  2000.  

So, like 80 USD? :devil:

• Haha 6