So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

nytflyr

4 hours ago, wargamer1972 said:

I am looking forward to next years con. Is it just me or did seem the metal trade box wasn't quite as full this year?

Ever since Bones came to market, the table hasn't been as full as it was. The first few years of the melt trade, that table was overflowing with metal treasures.

• Like 3

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, emmagine said:

I finally found someone to cover my shift for the first.  (EMS is unforgiving of people trying to take off on holidays.).   The rainbow sculptor (Christine) and I will be there!

Eeee! :wub:

--

I'm not planning any entries for ReaperCon. Whatever happens will happen. I'm super enjoying Ma'al right now, so he might end up there. I've been liking my Kiara sculpt too. So maybe her. But I've been wanting to get back to my Teldryn and Sarthis busts for a while now, so maybe those.... :lol:

• Like 6

On 11/9/2018 at 10:47 PM, haldir said:

Ever since Bones came to market, the table hasn't been as full as it was. The first few years of the melt trade, that table was overflowing with metal treasures.

Not just Bones; the industry in general has shifted to much more plastic and resin.

• Like 3

On 11/11/2018 at 8:38 AM, Chaoswolf said:

The melt table this year was better than last year, though. At least, I thought so.

This is very true. The last year at the PEC, the table was a far cry from what it usually is.

5 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

Not just Bones; the industry in general has shifted to much more plastic and resin.

This is true as well, thou looking at the table from a pre-Bones view & seeing the sales on Bones vs metal. I'm not putting down Bones as I've swapped a few out that I had in metal for it's Bones clone, I'm just pointing out what I've noticed on the table. The first few years of the table, you could go Scrooge McDuck & swim in the metal, where as the recent years, you are only wading through it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, klarg1 said:

A year and a half ago, I bought some pewter ingots for my foundry.  I paid $14 a pound.  I'm starting to run low so I went to the supplier to get some more; the price is now $30 a pound. :blink:  Yeah, I can see why most manufacturer's are going away from pewter.  It's too bad they can't use bronze, that is only $8 a pound, but it can't be mass cast like pewter can.

• Sad 6

2 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

A year and a half ago, I bought some pewter ingots for my foundry.  I paid $14 a pound.  I'm starting to run low so I went to the supplier to get some more; the price is now $30 a pound. :blink:  Yeah, I can see why most manufacturer's are going away from pewter.  It's too bad they can use bronze, that is only $8 a pound, but it can't be mass cast like pewter can.

Geebus. That's an insanely high price increase rate. No wonder S75's recent KS is doing resin for their 35mm and 75mm stuff, when they used to do metal. Questions - what prevents bronze from being mass cast like pewter - melting temperature, viscosity... ? Next, any idea what caused the price jump? I'll ask folks on campus too; there is an entire mining department and a group in geology that keeps tabs on stuff like this. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Geebus. That's an insanely high price increase rate. No wonder S75's recent KS is doing resin for their 35mm and 75mm stuff, when they used to do metal. Questions - what prevents bronze from being mass cast like pewter - melting temperature, viscosity... ? Next, any idea what caused the price jump? I'll ask folks on campus too; there is an entire mining department and a group in geology that keeps tabs on stuff like this. 

Bronze melts at about 1800 deg. F and pours around 1900 to 2000 deg F.  No rubber mold could handle that (pewter is around 500 deg F).  You can mass produce high temp metal in steel die-cast, but you wouldn't get anywhere near the complexity or detail of our miniatures.  For our type of minis in bronze you'd need to do Lost Wax casting which is time consuming and low volume.  It works great for high price items like gold and silver, but you wouldn't want to do it at the volumes Reaper does.

For minis of our detail levels, you have three options:

1. Spin cast into low temperature rubber molds.  The rubber of the mold flexes away from the harder metal allowing it to release.

2. Inject soft plastic into steel molds (Bones).  The plastic flexes allowing release.

3. Cut the minis into many components and die cast them in a steel mold (typically in hard plastic). This makes the modeler have to do complex assembly.

As for the increase, I'm not sure how far it goes yet.  I've only checked a couple suppliers, so I could be looking at an anomaly.  I had heard that it had something to do with Indonesia controlling most of the Tin though.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

A year and a half ago, I bought some pewter ingots for my foundry.  I paid $14 a pound.  I'm starting to run low so I went to the supplier to get some more; the price is now $30 a pound. :blink:  Yeah, I can see why most manufacturer's are going away from pewter.  It's too bad they can't use bronze, that is only $8 a pound, but it can't be mass cast like pewter can.

I actually think this trend has driven some very positive experimentation and innovation in the industry over the past decade (Bones being a prime example), but I feel for the companies and individuals who are still struggling to keep up with metal.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I actually think this trend has driven some very positive experimentation and innovation in the industry over the past decade (Bones being a prime example), but I feel for the companies and individuals who are still struggling to keep up with metal.

Agreed. 

I think eventually metal (be it pewter or bronze) will be for the exclusive limited run stuff. I am waiting for the day where I can log onto a service like Heroforge, design my custom mini, which will be printed to a wax master, and cast in bronze or pewter and shipped to me for $19.99.  Ok, it may never be that cheap, but one can hope, right? 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Agreed. 

I think eventually metal (be it pewter or bronze) will be for the exclusive limited run stuff. I am waiting for the day where I can log onto a service like Heroforge, design my custom mini, which will be printed to a wax master, and cast in bronze or pewter and shipped to me for $19.99.  Ok, it may never be that cheap, but one can hope, right? 

If we could only get PLA into a fine enough resolution, I’ve read it can be used in lost-wax methods. Really interested in trying it, but just need to get a forge, the green sand, time, some money, etc.

• Like 1