So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

nytflyr

23 hours ago, Pegazus said:

If we could only get PLA into a fine enough resolution, I’ve read it can be used in lost-wax methods. Really interested in trying it, but just need to get a forge, the green sand, time, some money, etc.

Do you mean using a plastic model such as a Bones mini as a base in lieu of wax in lost wax casting?  If so, I'm already planning on trying it, having all of the equipment.  As for green sand, I believe that is used in lost-foam casting, like @Kang does,  Lost wax typically uses investment plaster.  You can use soft plastics as lost wax masters, I don't think you can with lost foam.

Anyway, one of the other Reaper sculptors has asked me if my setup would be able to take a bones mini part and make it metal (sometimes we want metal parts for additions and armatures, and it is cheaper for me to make a single part than for Reaper to press and make a mold only for a couple parts). I promised I'd try it with one of my barrels sometime this year, so this experiment should happen before ReaperCon 2019.

• Like 6

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Do you mean using a plastic model such as a Bones mini as a base in lieu of wax in lost wax casting?  If so, I'm already planning on trying it, having all of the equipment.  As for green sand, I believe that is used in lost-foam casting, like @Kang does,  Lost wax typically uses investment plaster.  You can use soft plastics as lost wax masters, I don't think you can with lost foam.

Anyway, one of the other Reaper sculptors has asked me if my setup would be able to take a bones mini part and make it metal (sometimes we want metal parts for additions and armatures, and it is cheaper for me to make a single part than for Reaper to press and make a mold only for a couple parts). I promised I'd try it with one of my barrels sometime this year, so this experiment should happen before ReaperCon 2019.

Wasn't thinking of an injection molded plastic but solely a 3D printed part. The lost-foam technique makes sense for a printed plastic part. For large volume parts (relatively speaking), the internal space usually isn’t solid. I think I’ve done a mere 15% infill before, and that would probably act quite like foam when hot metal hits it, filling the internal cavity quickly, then burning away the outer layers. But it appears one could use it for either method. Kind of why I wanted to try.

I want to say PLA was given the thumbs up by whoever I was reading, but that ABS was unsuitable, mostly because the PLA was a lower temp material so would burn off easier rather than just melting and lumping up. Since Bones would be PVC... to the Googles! 

Melting points:

PLA = 65C glass transition (my nozzle temp is 220C; emits lactide when melted)

ABS = 105C glass transition (read nozzle temps 230C; emits styrene  when melting)

PVC = 85C glass transition (melts between 100C and 260C; and one website said toxic when melted!)

Should note that other things emitted on all three, but not going into details here, so maybe that was why ABS was discouraged. Take away is that it might be possible to use a Bones (assuming it’s a PVC-ish material) to cast, but I would do that outside and upwind, and I’m part Harkonnen. Seriously, the bottom section of Wikipedia’s page on PVC is filled with hazards and such. Being between PLA and ABS is a positive maybe, but being so solid sounds like a negative. Wonder if a quick two part plaster mould would be better in that case. 

• Like 4

I am so ready for my first reapercon. Am really looking forward to this. Got (some) money saved, vacation scheduled, been making travel plans, hopefully nothing will mess this up. Be my first vacation in about three years. Saw the other day that a new bowling alley is opening there this month, and from what I could see it looks like it is practically in the parking lot of the hotel. This gets better and better! :)

• Like 3

On 1/5/2019 at 7:51 AM, rawlkeer said:

I am so ready for my first reapercon. Am really looking forward to this. Got (some) money saved, vacation scheduled, been making travel plans, hopefully nothing will mess this up. Be my first vacation in about three years. Saw the other day that a new bowling alley is opening there this month, and from what I could see it looks like it is practically in the parking lot of the hotel. This gets better and better! :)

Last year the Hotel was surrounded by vacant land and construction sites, with the nearest building being a movie theater and restaurant within short walking distance.

This year will probably see some of those construction sites either nearing completion or newly opened businesses.

My wife and I attend multiple conventions each year related to our Fraternal Orders [Odd Fellows and Rebekah's] and the Embassy suites are absolutely first rate.

GEM

• Like 1

according to the website the bowling alley opened the day before new years eve. This is going to be a very different con for me because I have never attended one so small. Garycon 15 was comparable I think, and it was awesome. Every other con I have attended was gencon, origins, or dragoncon. All huge crowds

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rawlkeer said:

according to the website the bowling alley opened the day before new years eve. This is going to be a very different con for me because I have never attended one so small. Garycon 15 was comparable I think, and it was awesome. Every other con I have attended was gencon, origins, or dragoncon. All huge crowds

ReaperCon, albeit growing in attendance, is still a very intimate con, with a very high level of access to generally anybody. You will see clumps of people who get together each year simply because they know each other and are familiar with them, but I try my best to get people to mix quite a bit thru the Forumite Bingo.

And be sure to not be afraid to approach artists’ row. If they don’t have an answer to your question, they know who to point you to.

Just try to not be intimidated by @Corporea‘s imposing presence, as she is very approachable.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I am a teacher so speaking to strangers doesn't bother me. Garycon was very small, and the people were all so nice and welcoming, it was really nice. From what I have seen in comments I believe this will be like that. I don't know who @Corporea is but maybe I will recognize her on sight?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rawlkeer said:

I am a teacher so speaking to strangers doesn't bother me. Garycon was very small, and the people were all so nice and welcoming, it was really nice. From what I have seen in comments I believe this will be like that. I don't know who @Corporea is but maybe I will recognize her on sight?

It was a bit of a joke teasing her. She's super friendly, and about as intimidating and imposing as a basket of sleeping kittens.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Pegazus said:

And be sure to not be afraid to approach artists’ row. If they don’t have an answer to your question, they know who to point you to.

And you don't even need a question; you can just come over and chat with us too.

• Like 3