Sign in to follow this  
nytflyr

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

On 1/24/2019 at 9:29 PM, Green Eyed Monster said:

Booked!

Andrew was very nice to deal with on the phone and had our info from last year nearly at his fingertips. ::):

Now to wait for tickets and Class Registration.

GEM

Yup that's what we're waiting for are tickets and classes lol, I wonder if I could see I we could get the same room as last year lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

Yup that's what we're waiting for are tickets and classes lol, I wonder if I could see I we could get the same room as last year lol

I asked Andrew about that and he said they hadn't started assigning rooms yet but that he would make a note and if we couldn't have the same room as last year we would have one with similar appointments and similarly situated.

GEM

• Thanks 1

I have no complaints about the hotel in general, but a great many about our room on 6 last year.  We won't be going for the upgrade again.  We'll get something on a lower floor and buy our own peanuts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Do I understand correctly that the convention is at the hotel? 

I really enjoyed it when we could just run up to our rooms in between classes. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Marineal said:

Do I understand correctly that the convention is at the hotel? 

I really enjoyed it when we could just run up to our rooms in between classes. 

Yes, the convention is in the hotel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And the hotel itself is very nice.  We wound up across the hall from Ron and Adrienne and I asked Ron if he had any room gripes and he didn't, so I think our experience was atypical.  Probably his outlets weren't hanging off the wall.  

So the hotel?  A+

Our particular room?  F-

And it gets even better because apparently we wound up being charged full rate and not con rate and didn't find out until much later.  

So if I still like the hotel itself after all that then you know it's overall a pretty decent joint.  Just has very expensive free peanuts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On a different note speaking of people being ready for next year and going has anyone heard from dilvish or knarthex? I hadn't seen them on in a while and have pmd them just to check in but hasn't heard anything, erase this if it is too off topic

Edited by Crimson_king_of_the_tower
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I have no complaints about the hotel in general, but a great many about our room on 6 last year.  We won't be going for the upgrade again.  We'll get something on a lower floor and buy our own peanuts.

What no infiltrate the wedding party again this year? Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

And the hotel itself is very nice.  We wound up across the hall from Ron and Adrienne and I asked Ron if he had any room gripes and he didn't, so I think our experience was atypical.  Probably his outlets weren't hanging off the wall.  

So the hotel?  A+

Our particular room?  F-

And it gets even better because apparently we wound up being charged full rate and not con rate and didn't find out until much later.  

So if I still like the hotel itself after all that then you know it's overall a pretty decent joint.  Just has very expensive free peanuts.

An F- rating is a bit harsh. ::P: I would give our room a B-, but I was never as bothered by any of the issues as Buglips was. I would rather live in that hotel room than my apartment. Overall it was very nice and quiet. There was, indeed, an outlet kind of wonkily attempting to fall out of the wall and despite my letting the front desk know about it, they didn’t fix it while we were there. I don’t know if maintenance never showed up (we obviously weren’t just hanging out in the room all day) or if they decided it was something they needed to fix when the room wasn’t occupied. Aside from it being a thing that slightly marred how nice the room was, it didn’t really affect us. The biggest issue we had was the poor water pressure, which I was told was an issue with the higher floors that they were working to improve. That issue was very annoying. Showers took 1.5 to 2 times as long as they should have and we had to wait a good 10 minutes in between toilet flushes. That cumulatively got more annoying as the days went on, especially since neither of us are morning people, so the prospect of having to get up 20-30 minutes earlier to account for that was a stressor we could’ve done without. So those were the actual issues with the room itself. Otherwise, it was overall a much nicer room than the rooms at the HGI. 

Beyond that, we had chosen to upgrade to the “premium” floor, which came with perks that we didn’t think were worth it. There were snacks (m&m’s, trail mix, chips, etc.) and drinks (a couple of different types of sodas and juice) that were replenished daily. There wasn’t anything special about any of that and it would’ve been far more cost effective to bring our own snacks, especially with the Walmart being so close. We also had access to the “premium WiFi” which didn’t seem to be much different from the regular free WiFi and wasn’t something that we needed all that much anyway. Upgrading also changed our requested 2 room suite into a one room suite. And the “premium” floor was higher up, thus the water pressure issues. So upgrading to the premium room is certainly not something that we will do again.

The only thing I can think of that may have been part of the “premium” perks was the Keurig in the room, as the website specifically states that premium rooms have a Keurig and regular rooms state that they have a coffeemaker. Can anyone please confirm what kind of coffeemaker is in the regular rooms? That would be useful information for us. Last year we brought a big box of k-cups, which Buglips finished off during our stay. If we need to bring a tub of coffee grinds instead, it’d be helpful to know beforehand. 

As Buglips mentioned, we got charged the full rate, which was something I should’ve realized at the time, but I’m terrible with math so I thought I’d just done the math wrong with the additional charge for the upgrade. I recall being very confused about the total at the time, but I’d just driven 9+ hours and was too tired to think properly. Had I realized sooner what had happened, I’m sure I could’ve gotten it corrected, but nearly 6 months later I feel like it’s a moot point. This year I’ll bring a print out of the reservation just in case so that Future Me doesn’t just think that Past Me had a case of the dumbs. 

One thing to be aware of if you’ve attended previous years but couldn’t make it last year is that the after hours fire pit gathering is not the same as at the previous hotel. There is still an outdoor fire pit and people still gather around it, but it is a much, much smaller area that is fenced in next to the separate pool area. There is not much space for extra chairs even if you can borrow one from the pool area. It seemed to me that, for the most part, people tended to gather after hours inside in the lobby/bar area instead. The lobby is very large with multiple seating areas throughout and obviously is air-conditioned, rather than sitting outside around an unlit fire pit in the muggy late August Texas heat. That didn’t mean there wasn’t still a gathering out there almost every night (I think at least one night other hotel guests took that area over) but it was definitely a change from previous years. This may be a slight negative for some people if you enjoyed the previous fire pit gatherings where most people gathered in the same general area.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

Beyond that, we had chosen to upgrade to the “premium” floor, which came with perks that we didn’t think were worth it.

The only thing I can think of that may have been part of the “premium” perks was the Keurig in the room, as the website specifically states that premium rooms have a Keurig and regular rooms state that they have a coffeemaker. Can anyone please confirm what kind of coffeemaker is in the regular rooms? 

This year I’ll bring a print out of the reservation just in case so that Future Me doesn’t just think that Past Me had a case of the dumbs. 

Thanks for the heads up on the "premium" rooms. I was debating that upgrade,  but thought it might be overpriced, and we shouldn't really be drinking soda anyway. 

This is a pic of our King suite.   Our crap is piled all over but I can see we had a 1-cup drip coffee maker, mini fridge and a micro.  IIRC the coffee maker took pods.  We are tea drinkers so I wasn't paying a lot of attention.  The bar sink was nice, I didn't have to get water out of the bathroom while DH was getting ready in the morning. The only annoyance was getting paper cups throughout the day.  Room service gave us 2, and we would forget and throw them out and have to ask for more later in the day.  So if you have a serious habit, bring a reusable mug.  

I forget what floor we were on but it was up there. 10 maybe?  I don't recall any issues with hot water or pressure, but I wasn't using it at peak times. 

20180830_223453.thumb.jpg.7b45c61fb8ac0343cdaf5a3f8889bf90.jpg

I print hotel confirmation emails as  matter of course for ALL conventions and other trips.  I've been told more than once upon arrival that they had no reservation on file, until I turned over the evidence with confirmation numbers and proof of payment.  And last year at registration they tried to put us in a regular queen room until I pointed out that I had paid for a King suite. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

On a different note speaking of people being ready for next year and going has anyone heard from dilvish or knarthex? I hadn't seen them on in a while and have pmd them just to check in but hasn't heard anything, erase this if it is too off topic

I'm doing quite well.  I just looked and I did get your PM but somehow never replied.  Bad Dilvish! Bad!  No cookie for you!

I'm not on the forums as much lately as they blocked them from work, so I only get on when I'm not busy at home or from my phone: and if you read any of the posts from my phone keyboard, you'll realize whiy don't post from my phone much (I have fat thumbs).

I just texted George the other week.  He has been going through some stuff.  He let me know that things were getting better, but that it is unlikely that he will be making RCon this year.  I told him that he will be missed.

I however am still intending of going this year.  Right now, we are just figuring out if Awesome Wife will be attending as well.  She's started playing DnD and has ordered a mini to paint so after 20+ years of marriage I appear to have Stockholm Syndromed her into becoming a gamer.  Biggest road block is that the school year usually starts the week before Labor Day so we would have to figure things out with the kids.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Biggest road block is that the school year usually starts the week before Labor Day so we would have to figure things out with the kids.

I have similar issues.  I'm considering booking a room "just in case".  

• Like 3

I don't think a kureg would be worth the upgrade.   The hotel provides  free food  & drink regularly, and who wants to be in your room drinking coffee when you could be having breakfast with one of the Sculptors / Painters or just your friends?  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'm doing quite well.  I just looked and I did get your PM but somehow never replied.  Bad Dilvish! Bad!  No cookie for you!

I'm not on the forums as much lately as they blocked them from work, so I only get on when I'm not busy at home or from my phone: and if you read any of the posts from my phone keyboard, you'll realize whiy don't post from my phone much (I have fat thumbs).

I just texted George the other week.  He has been going through some stuff.  He let me know that things were getting better, but that it is unlikely that he will be making RCon this year.  I told him that he will be missed.

I however am still intending of going this year.  Right now, we are just figuring out if Awesome Wife will be attending as well.  She's started playing DnD and has ordered a mini to paint so after 20+ years of marriage I appear to have Stockholm Syndromed her into becoming a gamer.  Biggest road block is that the school year usually starts the week before Labor Day so we would have to figure things out with the kids.

Its no biggie I know how things get and i'm truly sad to hear George won't be able to make it he took us under his wing and showed us the ropes our first time last year, he will definitely be missed. I am glad though to hear he's doing better and that you should still be able to make it. Congrats on the new convert lol! It's good to hear from you

• Like 4