nytflyr

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

My son went with me last year, and an educational trip is exactly what we billed it as.  I told his high school it was an artist's conference where we were taking classes from world renowned painters and sculptors, and entering an art contest.  His school told us they are encouraging of non-traditional educational experiences as long as the students can keep up their grades.  They viewed it as no different than student athletes taking off for a meet or tournament. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2019 at 12:59 PM, buglips*the*goblin said:

Widows faction is best faction.  Widows 4 Lyfe!  Join us or die!

What's the point? It's all meaningless, join Maggotcrown for the truth of it all...

On 2/1/2019 at 4:41 PM, Pegazus said:

There is a pit, tho I feel it isn’t as good as the Garden Inn. 

However, they had a happy hour after five that provided free beer. So perhaps dangle that.

To be exact it's from 530-730 aaaaaaaand it's not just beer but also any mixed drinks with just 2 ingredients like whiskey and coke or gin and cran....I made sure to do the research....lol

• Like 3

On 2/2/2019 at 12:31 PM, Highlander said:

Latest semi-official or wild guess date for registration to open?

If I remember correctly I bought mine last year round about the end of may early June? They had already been on sale a few weeks before hand (correct me if i'm grievously incorrect) there should be plenty of time for you to get them

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

What's the point? It's all meaningless, join Maggotcrown for the truth of it all...

To be exact it's from 530-730 aaaaaaaand it's not just beer but also any mixed drinks with just 2 ingredients like whiskey and coke or gin and cran....I made sure to do the research....lol

And they had decent margaritas.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

Widows are winners, and we intend to keep winning until we can't win anymore.  I might have wound up in this faction completely at random but, by god, I intend to make sure we achieve victory if I have to use every bribe and dirty trick I have.  And if you see a smallish tangerine gent in a bandit mask accosting people and threatening "your stickers or your life" it's not me and never was me.  I'm that crudely-made cardboard cut-out chap always hanging out by the pinball machines.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Torchy's is pretty decent, but can feel overpriced for what you get.  I'll have to look up Villa Grande and check it out next time I'm in the area.
If anyone was up for a drive to Arlington, I know several places, but an hour away for lunch is a bit far....

Torchy's is not bad.  I would go to the one here in Allen weekly or twice weekly.  Management changed and the feel and quality changed a bit so don't go as much now.  When I visited the other day I got a couple breakfast tacos and they pack the good in them.

One thing that I would get and have a hard time finishing is an item they don't have listed.  The Ace of Spades.  OMG it was so huge they must use a large tortilla or 2 of the normal sized ones. 

ACE OF SPADES — A jalapeno sausage link, grilled brisket, a fried egg, green chile queso, cilantro, cotija cheese, sour cream, and diablo. Served on a flour tortilla.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

Ah poor Maggotcrown, the axe they got last year....I've killed 2 factions now!

Happy hour was a nice perk of the Con. Having Walmart close, is too (Angry Orchard!!!). Granted, I did have someone with a car if needed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hungerfan said:

Torchy's is not bad.  I would go to the one here in Allen weekly or twice weekly.  Management changed and the feel and quality changed a bit so don't go as much now.  When I visited the other day I got a couple breakfast tacos and they pack the good in them.

One thing that I would get and have a hard time finishing is an item they don't have listed.  The Ace of Spades.  OMG it was so huge they must use a large tortilla or 2 of the normal sized ones. 

ACE OF SPADES — A jalapeno sausage link, grilled brisket, a fried egg, green chile queso, cilantro, cotija cheese, sour cream, and diablo. Served on a flour tortilla.

That sounds absolutely awesome!

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 4:32 PM, buglips*the*goblin said:

I'm kinda starting to worry about this chunk of missing time, actually.  If people start conspiring to tell stories of things I did that I actually didn't do, I have no way to refute the claims.  

Not to worry, I have all the evidence in a safe place. ::D:

On 2/5/2019 at 8:00 AM, Marineal said:

I think one year most of us had written both names, just in case. Lol. 

That's another thing that I think complicates it... You have to remember not one, but 2 names for everyone! 

I'll answer to pretty much everything, ER desensitizes you to namecalling. ::D:

Ditto that for the Navy.

I actually had someone last year forget my name and yelled "hey, wolf guy!" :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

El Matador was the place we went last year.  ~2 miles up University. Good food and lots of it.  I think next time DH and I will share an entree. They have a huge dining room with large tables, if you want to go as a group. 

• Like 3

I'd like to try one of the Mexican restaurants this year.  Since I didn't have a car last year (and won't this year), I was limited to places I could walk to.  (I hope there are better sidewalks this year.)

Also, if you sign up for classes before and after lunchtime, you may not have enough time to do more than go up to your room and bolt food.

• Like 1

2 years ago, they did a thing where you could buy boxed lunches from the cafeteria, is that an option in the new venue? 
I remember it was super convenient to just go grab your lunch, and they were really good sandwiches too! It made it easy to go from class to class without having to stress about eating. 

IIRC, we had breakfast, lunch, and all but one or 2 dinners on site. 

• Like 2

I don't know about box lunches, but I recall seeing them deliver food to people in the gaming areas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Marineal said:

2 years ago, they did a thing where you could buy boxed lunches from the cafeteria, is that an option in the new venue? 
I remember it was super convenient to just go grab your lunch, and they were really good sandwiches too! It made it easy to go from class to class without having to stress about eating. 

IIRC, we had breakfast, lunch, and all but one or 2 dinners on site. 

The box lunches were abandoned.  There were ... issues. Then at the next place, there were food trucks. The new place has much better dining options.

The hotel does have an onsite restaurant (we did the Sunday night forumite dinner there). Not sure what lunch they offer. Breakfast was at the hotel last year, made to order breakfast. And there are dining places within walking distance. Sit down restaurant within a five minute walk. Don’t know how far the fast food places were to walk, as we simply drove to In and Out. 

Merged:

Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen was the quick walk. Houlihan’s is the hotel restaurant and they have a lunch menu ($10-$15 for burgers/sandwiches).

And as an option, there is a WinCo a bit longer if a walk. Might have a deli. Or could grab sandwich stuff there the first night, if you’re going inexpensive. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1