So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

37 minutes ago, Dan Goodchild said:

I would LOVE to come next year but… August again? I don't know if I could survive Texas in August. I had a hard enough time with the heat in April.

Not to mention it's the same month as Gen Con which makes my wallet ache worse than a Bones Kickstarter.

It was hotter in CT than it was in Texas.  It was almost cool when I left today.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My son was already talking about coming back Saturday night during the awards ceremony.

Getting his picture taken with @OneBoot in her Sophie costume only reinforced that. 

I'm wanting to, and already planning entries for the Open, but my wallet may not be.  It's time to encourage my wife to go for that new job!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
17 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Frozen Ninja is about to kickstart a couple of larger scale sci-fi old west models. I bought their cowgirl model in ~30mm this weekend to proxy into shadows of brimstone (board game).

And yes... while this was our first RC, we are planning next yr already. 

Thanks for the Heads Up on the Kickstarter.

The Frozen Ninza People are nice folk and it would be especially nice to be able to help a Kickstarter Project for them.

GEM

11 hours ago, TGP said:

I would check Scale75’s web presence. Guessing they host some good ones or have links to some good ones.

~~~~~

It is a very nice place. And maybe by next year the yo-yos in charge of building roads will connect it to some of them. <_<

~~~~~

Who thought up BMASS ?

The Embasy Suites are connected to the Texas road network, just not very well, or so that you get where you need to go without making at least one U-turn, or going over one of Texas's notorious suspension breaking "bumps".

Since the hotel is currently surrounded by vacant lots and construction sites in the early stages of whatever is going in this isn't all that unusual a situation.

Hopefully, next year will see some signifficant improvements.

GEM

• Like 7
1 hour ago, rawlkeer said:

Hello to all the good people on the forums! I wasn't able to attend this year but am very seriously planning to attend next year. From what I have seen online, looks like a really good time

Reaper has [significantly] raised the bar for what can be expected for facilities for gaming conventions.

GenCon has some serious competition for where people will consider spending their hard earned vacation time and dollars this time of year.

Even though it's August, one only needs to venture out for lunch and dinner.

The hotel has a great breakfast buffet, including omlettes to order, which is included in the room price, for a suite, because I think the whole place is suites.  We had two queen beds in ours, and the couch was a hide-a-bed so when a "room" is split two or three ways the cost is even less and nobody needs to feel cramped for space.

I asked some of the vendors on Sunday if "they had had a good con", and they all said "yes", which translates into vendors coming back next year.  The Convention Center has enough square footage so that the vendor area can be expanded without cramping the painting areas [which means room for more high quality shopping opportunities], or affecting the game areas or classrooms.

Everyone I personally talked with had a good time, an enthusiastically good time, and not a single gripe was made in my presence.

GEM

• Like 9
56 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

My son was already talking about coming back Saturday night during the awards ceremony.

Getting his picture taken with @OneBoot in her Sophie costume only reinforced that. 

I'm wanting to, and already planning entries for the Open, but my wallet may not be.  It's time to encourage my wife to go for that new job!

My daughter has been going for 4 years now with me. Started out on just Sunday...then in 2016 she took her first class and I took her back home and then had wife bring her that night for awards because she had turned in a Nethy for her entry.  That was such a pain that the last 2 years I have just brought her...done a class together (Bob's basing class last year and Andy's sculpting nature this year) and just let her stay there with me all day. She really gets excited for Reapercon now as much as I do and always wants to dress up.  This year she mentioned the new Sohphie dress but there was no way anyone could get something done quick enough for her to wear.  Saw a sneak peek of how next year's will look and there is no way that will happen either.  She has a cousin who does cosplay...maybe I can bribe her to do a Sophie costume of some sort for her. :)

Oh i was going somewhere with all this. Oh yeah we ran into @OneBoot right before she ran up to her room to change out of the Sophie dress on Sunday.  Got a pic of the two of them together.  That was a nice treat since I kept forgetting to take pics.

5 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I asked some of the vendors on Sunday if "they had had a good con", and they all said "yes", which translates into vendors coming back next year.  The Convention Center has enough square footage so that the vendor area can be expanded without cramping the painting areas [which means room for more high quality shopping opportunities], or affecting the game areas or classrooms.

Yeah I was doing the same with some of the newer vendors.  They all seemed to really be enjoying the turnout they had at their booths.  The typhoon vortex mixer guy was shocked at how quick he sold those things.  I wanted one myself but it would have eaten into the entire budget I set for us to spend.

• Like 9
4 minutes ago, hungerfan said:

Yeah I was doing the same with some of the newer vendors.  They all seemed to really be enjoying the turnout they had at their booths.  

I liked the idea of the cards to get punched.  I stepped into booths that I would have previously walked past.  I don't think it prompted me to buy anything I wouldn't have otherwise, but it did lead me to spend more time checking out their wares.

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I liked the idea of the cards to get punched.  I stepped into booths that I would have previously walked past.  I don't think it prompted me to buy anything I wouldn't have otherwise, but it did lead me to spend more time checking out their wares.

The first two cons I would take the punch card and buy stuff at the smaller vendors.  Spent a lot more than I do now when i take daughter and let her do the card....and I give us a limit on how much we spend. I tell her $100 and we usually hit it or get close but she will walk around looking at stuff before she decides. :)

I need to learn and tell her no at times because the most expensive thing she bought was a $25 custom kitten thing made from those pearl beads that stick together when heated.  Not sure it was $25 worth BUT she loved it a lot until she won the Sophie blanket the next day.  Now that thing is with her as much as it can be.  At her desk watching youtube or playing Minecraft today and it was on her lap.  Sitting on couch playing XBOX games with me or watching some cartoons...it was wrapped around her.  She is a Sophie fan now. :)

• Like 17
5 minutes ago, hungerfan said:

My daughter has been going for 4 years now with me. Started out on just Sunday...then in 2016 she took her first class and I took her back home and then had wife bring her that night for awards because she had turned in a Nethy for her entry.  That was such a pain that the last 2 years I have just brought her...done a class together (Bob's basing class last year and Andy's sculpting nature this year) and just let her stay there with me all day. She really gets excited for Reapercon now as much as I do and always wants to dress up.  This year she mentioned the new Sohphie dress but there was no way anyone could get something done quick enough for her to wear.  Saw a sneak peek of how next year's will look and there is no way that will happen either.  She has a cousin who does cosplay...maybe I can bribe her to do a Sophie costume of some sort for her. :)

Oh i was going somewhere with all this. Oh yeah we ran into @OneBoot right before she ran up to her room to change out of the Sophie dress on Sunday.  Got a pic of the two of them together.  That was a nice treat since I kept forgetting to take pics.

Yeah I was doing the same with some of the newer vendors.  They all seemed to really be enjoying the turnout they had at their booths.  The typhoon vortex mixer guy was shocked at how quick he sold those things.  I wanted one myself but it would have eaten into the entire budget I set for us to spend.

It's great to see the kids enthusiastically embrace something that has the potential to turn into a lifetime hobby and also develop new skills.  Here's hoping that the cousin will be receptive to helping out with a Young Sophie Costume.

The guy from Typhoon is providing a quality product.  These laboratory quality vibratory/oscillating mixers are hugely expensive new, and if you don't have the skills or interest to rebuild one bought off of someplace like e-bay you have been sort of out of luck.  I have one, thanks to having the necessary tools and ability to rebuild one of the e-bay  lab surplus units, which I did and have been using for about 9 months now.  My paints have never had it so good!

I talked with the gentleman a coule of times.  He buys package lots of used machines and completely refurbishes them, including such a thorough level of checking that it includes checking all units for radiation exposure/contamination.  So far he has only rejected two units out of all the ones he has acquired for refurb, that is all that has had exposure to radioactives.

By buying lot  offerings he is able to get good rebuildable machines at a better price than the single units are offered for, besides the savings on shipping so his machines are high quality and good value.

I explained to him that I had done one off what he is doing on a small scale basis, and gave an unsolicited testimonial  to the pople that were gathered around on how well these units keep your paints properly mixed.

By combining one of these with double sealed storage, consisting of Reaper plastic paint cases inside a Sterilite snap-seal tub, I expect my dropper paints will last as long [provided I don't use them up quickly] as some of my now out-of-production Original Formula Floquil Model Railroad Paints.

GEM

• Like 8
12 hours ago, Dan Goodchild said:

I would LOVE to come next year but… August again? I don't know if I could survive Texas in August. I had a hard enough time with the heat in April.

Not to mention it's the same month as Gen Con which makes my wallet ache worse than a Bones Kickstarter.

The hotel had fully functioning and well regulated air conditioning, all the facilities you needed, and no real reason to go outdoors (save for smoke breaks, or the spray booth).

I live much further up north than Niagara Falls and I felt surprisingly comfortable for the duration of the convention.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Meeeee! This past year was really rough on us, and I frequently found myself thinking about how thankful I was that we decided to go this year after all. I really needed the art recharge, the friend time, the learning....

I'm hoping that we can make it through the coming months with a better mindset, even if there's still a ton of stuff going on. I know I can do more than this year's last minute entry!

Not to mention that I wrote down tons and tons of notes - I need to get all that sunk into my brain with actual practice this year!

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 10