So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

53 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I am already planning to come next year! And I hope that next year, if anyone sees me wandering around aimlessly, they'll yank me in - I'm too timid to just join a table without invitation.

I also have a diorama idea I have to do, but have no idea how to do it~ 
Anyone have a good way of representing the spell "Flaming Hands" in action?

If it helps any, I think a lot of us are timid like that. I don't know if you noticed, but when I was talking to you and the other guy in the MSP Open entry line there, my hands were shaking. 

For the flaming hands, look at some of the translucent figures and/or spell effects?  The Wizkids line has a bunch of minis with different spell effects, and Bones has several translucent fire elementals that could be cut up? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Corporea said:

I've done a few WIPs on the forum. Probably the most complete are the Tiefling Bust from Darksword and the Mother of Dragons from Nuts Planet, though I started a WIP on my Green Lady.  I think a bunch of us are having an Athen-off this year by painting the Athena bust from FeR.  Anne's is already looks awesome.  I'm working on Julie's new one right now! Squee!

When I get started on the Athena, I'll try to put it up in progress and cover all the basics.

Your Tiefling bust is amazing. My blending skills need work, but i'm willing to plop my butt in my painting chair and practice.  Will be checking your other WIPS shortly.  Thank you. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I am already planning to come next year! And I hope that next year, if anyone sees me wandering around aimlessly, they'll yank me in - I'm too timid to just join a table without invitation.

The suggestion for the WizKids minis is a good one. You might be able to find the right piece and just kitbash it into whatever mini you're going to use.

Failing that, I'd probably try to start with something like Heavy or Super Heavy Body Acrylic Gel Medium to sculpt the flames. It's clear and with care should be stiff enough to hold the shape, though you might need to build it up in layers. You can add tinting to the medium before sculpting, but I'd actually recommend that you tint it after you're done because that allows easier color variation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Valthorn_Illian said:

If you do, I'll bring some deer.

I reacted with a "thanks" on that because venison is excellent when prepared properly, and doesn't taste so tough and lean.

And then I felt awful because I've been wearing my antlers all week. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 12
8 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

I reacted with a "thanks" on that because venison is excellent when prepared properly, and doesn't taste so tough and lean.

And then I felt awful because I've been wearing my antlers all week. :lol:

Best way I've found for grills is to cube the backstrap/loin and wrap the cubes in bacon.

This is also assuming that I kill one this year.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

If it helps any, I think a lot of us are timid like that. I don't know if you noticed, but when I was talking to you and the other guy in the MSP Open entry line there, my hands were shaking. 

I'm also very nervous at first, but once I get into a conversation, I usually open up pretty quickly!

• Like 6
8 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

In addition to the above (very good) ideas, sculpting flames with green stuff is an option, but it would probably be a little more difficult.

You've got a year to practice, though!::):

• Like 2
6 hours ago, HolkDiggity said:

I'm also very nervous at first, but once I get into a conversation, I usually open up pretty quickly!

Not sure if we met (I was the bearded guy in the maroon nerd vest with the Trip Hazzard ribbons) but feel free to grab me and say hi!  I've faked being an extrovert so long that I have even fooled myself and will have no problem taking you around and introducing you to everyone else.  I was taken under the wing of some regulars and am always up for paying it forward.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
35 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:
9 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

In addition to the above (very good) ideas, sculpting flames with green stuff is an option, but it would probably be a little more difficult.

You've got a year to practice, though!::):

Ooh ooh! Hi new friend I met! I taught myself how to sculpt large flames last year, we could certainly chat and see if we can't figure out how to make mini flames if that's the route you choose. :) 

24 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Not sure if we met (I was the bearded guy in the maroon nerd vest with the Trip Hazzard ribbons) but feel free to grab me and say hi!  I've faked being an extrovert so long that I have even fooled myself and will have no problem taking you around and introducing you to everyone else.  I was taken under the wing of some regulars and am always up for paying it forward.

Wow! Change the description to purple hair and antlers, and your entire comment is accurate for myself as well.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

Ooh ooh! Hi new friend I met! I taught myself how to sculpt large flames last year, we could certainly chat and see if we can't figure out how to make mini flames if that's the route you choose. :) 

Wow! Change the description to purple hair and antlers, and your entire comment is accurate for myself as well.

Mori - I wanna learn how to sculpt large flames! Do you have references to share? A tutorial?

• Like 5