So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

nytflyr

Well for what it's worth, the mechanics of going are complete.  Tickets bought, planetary acquired (direct flight this time so no adventures in layovers of 4 hour drives at 3 in the morning this time!)

Looking at what to do and what to play.  I also have some entries for the open competition but nothing special this year, just a check to see that my skills haven't slipped too much this year.

Hope to see friends and relax for the weekend.  Trying very hard to get beyond the concept that everything I do must have meaning and get to sometimes just having fun.

It's been a rough year, looking forward to a few days of hanging out with friends.

• Like 6

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/19/2019 at 5:41 PM, Highlander said:

What happens when you put off finishing your entries until a month or so before the Con?  Because that is when you project having lots of free time?

In my case, you can have surgery on your left hand,  Today.  I'm right handed. but, even then, I won't be able to firmly grasp whatever I'm painting.  The good news is that I'll be highly motivated to work on regaining full use of the hand -- following the Doc's instructions -- by month's end.  Already have some foam balls arriving to begin squeezing -- on Monday.

And, yes, this is one handed typing.

Ahh, I feel your pain, literally.  I was just diagnosed with carpel tunnel in my painting/sculpting hand and likely a pinched nerve in my neck or shoulder.  If neck, I may need surgery.  MRI is tomorrow.  So many sculpts, so little time, and yet my hand keeps going numb on me.  :down:

There will be no painting entries for me this year; I'm saving what hand use I have for Bones V, Darksword, and DB sculpts. 

• Sad 14

32 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Ahh, I feel your pain, literally.  I was just diagnosed with carpel tunnel in my painting/sculpting hand and likely a pinched nerve in my neck or shoulder.  If neck, I may need surgery.  MRI is tomorrow.  So many sculpts, so little time, and yet my hand keeps going numb on me.  :down:

There will be no painting entries for me this year; I'm saving what hand use I have for Bones V, Darksword, and DB sculpts. 

Best of luck on this.  I had to make changes to my computer use equipment and actually stop using cheap keyboards and mice several years ago but it's been money well spent in that it stopped things getting worse. Unfortunately I don't have good ergonomic suggestions for painters and sculptors. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 8:58 AM, TaleSpinner said:

On 7/22/2019 at 9:32 AM, Cygnwulf said:

Best of luck on this.  I had to make changes to my computer use equipment and actually stop using cheap keyboards and mice several years ago but it's been money well spent in that it stopped things getting worse. Unfortunately I don't have good ergonomic suggestions for painters and sculptors. 

Follow the physical therapy stretches for your forearm and hand, get a good (ie not big box store) tennis elbow strap from a medical supply store, find a chiropractor and sports massage therapist, and create a work/rest and alternate tasks schedule. I have neuropathy in both hands and tennis elbow, shoulder muscle issues, and neck issues on my right side. I've found that doing this keeps my pain very manageable without anti-inflammatory or other pain meds and slows down the deterioration of my joints. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Shadowphaze said:

What are the best things to pick up from exhibitors?  Paints?  Brushes?  

1. Whatever you need at the show (paint, brushes, tools, whatever).
  2. Miniatures.
  3. Whatever you don't need but want so bad you just can't stand it. ::D:

I've bought tools of various sorts, paint, miniatures, random tchotchkes, ....

As a huckster's area, it's a bit of an odd selection, but entertaining.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shadowphaze said:

Pretty much any imaginable painting/sculpting/gaming accessory is available. Badger usually has some freebie Stynylrez primer.

When you have representatives for Bombshell Babes; Hanger 18; Scale75; Badger Airbrush; and many others, it's a good opportunity to see their wares in person.

There are several local stores for game/collectible/geek wares present, so you may find unexpected surprises.

My own unexpected purchase at my first RCon in 2016 was Hangar 18 photo backdrops.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

h54b good deals?

Not sure what that means, but when I got mine it was a "Buy this airbrush and get a compressor and cleaning kit" sort of deal. Basically about $200 worth of badger gear for about $80-90.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Airbrush.  Badger offers insanely good deals at the con.

I heard from one of the guest artists this most recent weekend that Badger is not going to be there this year. 

• Sad 4

10 hours ago, Shadowphaze said:

Make sure you do a close inspection of the wares offered by the Tool Guy.

He has both run of the mill tools and odd/hard to find tools such as pearl tweezers which are unimaginably useful for assembling small minis if you have never used them before.

GEM

• Like 2

I make a point of looking through the program booklet on the first or second night.  It's not unusual to find advertised specials or discounts.  Ask the vendors what their "show specials" are.  Ask at the Reaper booth, too.  How many people missed the Maiden Bust last year? Limited quantity and only available at the con.  

• Like 5