Jump to content

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?


nytflyr
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

 

I heard from one of the guest artists this most recent weekend that Badger is not going to be there this year. 

 

 

Interesting. Ron mentioned them on last week's Reaper live that they weren't going to be on the punch card again this year because Ken doesn't like to participate in such things,

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whelp, hammer dropped tonight. Normally we get my mother to stay with the kids while we go, but due to some medical issues with my step-father, she can't make it. While I will still be going, my wife has decided she can't go and leave the teenagers to themselves for nearly a week.

 

I'll have to get in touch with Reaper and get her tickets and classes refunded.

  • Sad 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

 

I heard from one of the guest artists this most recent weekend that Badger is not going to be there this year. 

 

 

 

Badger is still listed as a vendor in booth 37 on Growtix's site, which is the most current update Reapercon info. And I'm not sure how to feel about that state of updates. I know several folks going to Gencon so I'll have them verify.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, rawlkeer said:

I have never heard of Pearl Tweezers, not that that is saying much, there is a lot of stuff I have never heard of :)

They have a tiny cup end instead of being flat, which makes them very useful for grasping round or odd shaped tiny bits.  They make assembly of the tiny bits a lot easier, and faster, as you don't spend near as much time looking for that bit that just went "spoing" and won't be found until 4 months after the replacement arrives.

The Tool Guy [can't remember his actual name] has, quite literally, a ton of handy small tools for sale and at reasonable prices.  He sold out of some stuff so I suggest you check him out as early in the Con as you can conveniently arrange.

Of course, the same may be said of most of the vendors. :poke:

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
5 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

They have a tiny cup end instead of being flat, which makes them very useful for grasping round or odd shaped tiny bits.  They make assembly of the tiny bits a lot easier, and faster, as you don't spend near as much time looking for that bit that just went "spoing" and won't be found until 4 months after the replacement arrives.

The Tool Guy [can't remember his actual name] has, quite literally, a ton of handy small tools for sale and at reasonable prices.  He sold out of some stuff so I suggest you check him out as early in the Con as you can conveniently arrange.

Of course, the same may be said of most of the vendors. :poke:

 

 

The tool guy is dangerous to my wallet.  I always walk away with a much lighter wallet after visiting that booth.  I'm hoping to resist this year; it shouldn't be too hard, since I bought almost everything he had last year. <_<

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe that the tool guy has three booths this year. He was feeling very cramped last year. I’m sure you can find a few more tools to buy.

9 hours ago, nakos said:

 

Badger is still listed as a vendor in booth 37 on Growtix's site, which is the most current update Reapercon info. And I'm not sure how to feel about that state of updates. I know several folks going to Gencon so I'll have them verify.

 

My last communication with Badger has them coming, Growtix is correct.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but how is the quality of those tools? I didn't get anything last year because the prices seemed too low and I figured it was junk. Am I just used to paying too much?

 

I bought a pile of hemostats from him last year (and a pair of flush cutters, because.. well .. tool emergency. .. I'm not sure he didn't just give me the cutters, though). I haven't managed to kill them yet.

They seem to be comparable quality to tools I've picked up from AS&S and Micromark... 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I picked up a few things too. Great pin vise bits, scalpel blades, and the reverse clamping tweezers, wish I'd gotten a few hemostats too. I've been pretty happy with them.  I get the impression he buys in bulk from industrial and direct medical surplus

Edited by Cygnwulf
Words .. Words .. Words....
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but how is the quality of those tools? I didn't get anything last year because the prices seemed too low and I figured it was junk. Am I just used to paying too much?

Things are of reasonable quality.

They aren't "surgical grade" as far as finish goes but they are decent quality, mostly Oriental Made [as in China, Malaysia, India, Pakistan] and seem to do the job they are designed for.

I think he can sell for the prices he does because he is moving enough merchandise at shows to be ordering from his suppliers in bulk.

His overhead is lower than for somebody with a brick and mortar store so he's passing the savings along to all of us. :poke:

GEM

Our Zazzle order just arrived!

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
Update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

They have a tiny cup end instead of being flat, which makes them very useful for grasping round or odd shaped tiny bits.  They make assembly of the tiny bits a lot easier, and faster, as you don't spend near as much time looking for that bit that just went "spoing" and won't be found until 4 months after the replacement arrives.

The Tool Guy [can't remember his actual name] has, quite literally, a ton of handy small tools for sale and at reasonable prices.  He sold out of some stuff so I suggest you check him out as early in the Con as you can conveniently arrange.

Of course, the same may be said of most of the vendors. :poke:

 

Sounds like a pretty neat gizmo, I will have to check that out. Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Heisler said:

I believe that the tool guy has three booths this year. He was feeling very cramped last year. I’m sure you can find a few more tools to buy.

 

My last communication with Badger has them coming, Growtix is correct.

I posted on badgers Facebook page specifically asking is they were coming to reapercon for the express purpose of me wanting one of their sotar airbrushes and they said they were and this was about a month ago so unless things changed since then I imagine they are. I really hope they are. Tool guy was awesome I'm planning on getting a few more things from him this year I got a few different types of tweezers and other things from him last year and they're great! 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
12 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but how is the quality of those tools? I didn't get anything last year because the prices seemed too low and I figured it was junk. Am I just used to paying too much?

 

I bought several tools from him.  The side cutter I broke, but it was completely my fault, not the tools as I was using to cut something too hard for it.  The rest have held up to regular usage all year. i especially like the cross-lock mini tweezers.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...