So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dragoneye said:

Mori - I wanna learn how to sculpt large flames! Do you have references to share? A tutorial?

So without completely derailing the thread, I spent forever looking online last year with googling "sculpting fire with green stuff" and there were a ton of examples, but I didn't really like the end results. They were definitely fiery, but I wanted a more stylized version. I didn't put instructions because it was rough and I didn't think folks would care too much, but my larger, stylized flames are here and painted here.  If that's something y'all are interested in, I'll try to make a write up on big flames and also recreate it in a tinier format.

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Not sure if we met (I was the bearded guy in the maroon nerd vest with the Trip Hazzard ribbons) but feel free to grab me and say hi!  I've faked being an extrovert so long that I have even fooled myself and will have no problem taking you around and introducing you to everyone else.  I was taken under the wing of some regulars and am always up for paying it forward.

You and knarthex were super wonderful to us this year and I don't think our experience would have been the same had we not gotten to chase you 2 around like we were lost ducklings lol. We are currently working on a process to bottle and capture different colored "slimes and oozes" in small plastic portable containment unit that people can come and claim if they so choose. (I wonder if anyone will get it lol)

• Like 5
On 9/4/2018 at 5:39 PM, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

I REALLY wish I could figure out a way to barbecue and grill for everyone I'm gonna have to look into that

Ok so I think I've figured it out instead of bbq I think the better bet is to make a large batch of gumbo (which im very good at and my family has honed me for lol). Should also be easier to heat up and serve to everyone I need to start a thread to see who'd be interested! 

Edited by Crimson_king_of_the_tower
  • Like 4

Well I think I've watched pretty much every video on YT.  Its gotten so bad I started watching people play claw machines and other games like that where you just win prizes. This got me thinking though. 

I was thinking that maybe next year a good addition to the arcade could be a claw machine filled with minis and other con goodness.  They could even make it "pay to play" even though the rest of the games are free. I bet people would even pay a $1 or $2 per play. 

This would be fun for a lot of people and make some good money for Reaper.  They could even use it to cover the cost to maybe add a couple of big items to the auction or raffle.  Or they could just keep the money!

Alas I won't be attending so this is just an idea for others.  I know I would cram that thing full of money trying to win things that I could just go buy from their booth for probably half of what it would cost me to win it ::P:  Its the fun in winning!  I think a lot of others would do they same. 

But that's just an idea...a Reapercon idea!  Aaannd cut! (Too much YT)

Edited by NecroMancer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Are we ready for Next Year?

Gee, I don't know, we only spent about 5 or 6 hours in discussing ways and means on the drive home.

Our Fraternal Order has its annual International Sessions the Third Week of August in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, [this upcoming year] and after the conclusion of festivities  there is ample time for a lieserly amble down to Denton with a couple days of just kick-back prior to the  Con starting.

We started to do back of the envelope calculations on how much we need to set aside each week in order to make the process as painless as possible.  The first estimate is that we need to save  $140 a week all year, plus having household bills paid in advance.before we go. 

GEM

on starting,

• Like 4
5 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

Well I think I've watched pretty much every video on YT.  Its gotten so bad I started watching people play claw machines and other games like that where you just win prizes. This got me thinking though. 

I was thinking that maybe next year a good addition to the arcade could be a claw machine filled with minis and other con goodness.  They could even make it "pay to play" even though the rest of the games are free. I bet people would even pay a $1 or $2 per play. 

This would be fun for a lot of people and make some good money for Reaper.  They could even use it to cover the cost to maybe add a couple of big items to the auction or raffle.  Or they could just keep the money!

Alas I won't be attending so this is just an idea for others.  I know I would cram that thing full of money trying to win things that I could just go buy from their booth for probably half of what it would cost me to win it ::P:  Its the fun in winning!  I think a lot of others would do they same. 

But that's just an idea...a Reapercon idea!  Aaannd cut! (Too much YT)

I know at one point there was a Bones dispenser (like one of those coin op machines in grocery stores).  Claw machine could be fun.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I know at one point there was a Bones dispenser (like one of those coin op machines in grocery stores).  Claw machine could be fun.

I know they have one st the game store we saw it monday when we went it's a shame they didn't have it at the con (dispenser not close game lol)

• Like 4
8 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

Knowing how Reaper rolls at these things I could see them doing it all free.  Maybe another option to use Reaperbucks.  Hand over $500 for a minute of claw grabbing fun.

• Like 3
On 9/2/2018 at 7:18 PM, nytflyr said:

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

I keep telling myself I'll make it one of these years, but I already know it won't be 2019.  My job's holiday work schedule is on a 7 year rotation and next year I'll be working Labor Day.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:38 PM, Green Eyed Monster said:

Not only am I ready to start planning and preparing, my wife [non-nerd and not-a-painter] is already talking about painting and entering next year!::)::wub:

If anyone can point me in the right direction for cowboy minis, any size [in addition to the ones Reaper makes] I would appreciate the pointers.  We're going to be carefully going over the Reaper Catalog for suitable subject matter in the next few weeks.

GEM

If you like 54mm+ (I like 54mm+) you might check Andrea or Pegaso.  You may have to beat your wallet into submission for some of the 90mm stuff though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Auberon said:

I keep telling myself I'll make it one of these years, but I already know it won't be 2019.  My job's holiday work schedule is on a 7 year rotation and next year I'll be working Labor Day.

If you like 54mm+ (I like 54mm+) you might check Andrea or Pegaso.  You may have to beat your wallet into submission for some of the 90mm stuff though.

If it's for my wife:wub:, it makes her happy::):, and she enjoys painting it, then it is worth the cost.

Thanks for the pointers.

GEM

• Like 2
On 9/4/2018 at 10:01 AM, Cranky Dog said:

The hotel had fully functioning and well regulated air conditioning, all the facilities you needed, and no real reason to go outdoors (save for smoke breaks, or the spray booth).

I live much further up north than Niagara Falls and I felt surprisingly comfortable for the duration of the convention.

And yet, I was only cold on like 2 nights. This is a record. Usually I'm cold ALL the nights!

• Like 3