Sign in to follow this  
nytflyr

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

43 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

Can I sculpt an Ed of Ed sculpting an Ed Sculpt if the Ed Sculpt Ed sculpts is an actual Ed Sculpt Ed sculpted?

[Re-reads last sentence.] I think everyone is glad Ed never sculpted woodchucks.

Well, you can of course sculpt pretty much anything that local ordinances allow.

To get Buglips's ribbon, though, you would have to paint the actual Ed sculpt that Ed is sculpting and enter the composition. Which is to say that you couldn't resculpt the Ed sculpt yourself, even if it really looked like the Ed sculpt that Ed actually sculpted, though you could of course sculpt the Ed that is sculpting the Ed sculpt. To get the scaling right, this would entail a 1:1 sculpt of Ed, which would be too large to enter into the show.

If you could get a waiver, though I would recommend entering it as a diorama.

With the title, "Edception".

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

So, out of curiosity, does anyone know why some of the bones versions of the Ed Pugh skeletons are listed as David Pugh? I've found a few that I've already painted, but I'm not sure they'd qualify since they're Bones, even though Ed is listed as the sculptor on the metal version 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

No sharp stuff in the cabin. If you aren't checking baggage, don't bring sharp stuff.

But you could contact the hotel and send a small box there with instructions to hold for your arrival. (Also a reasonable choice if you need more paint than you can conveniently pack in a 1-quart clear bag. (I think that's the allowed size, anyway.)

Is this a good place to mention that the price of a medium box is half of what most airlines charge to check a bag?  I mean indent really have a choice, anything heavier than a backpack I'm not lifting anyway but it us usually 25 dollars to check a bag.  Then it doesn't matter if it has pointy things on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Well, you can of course sculpt pretty much anything that local ordinances allow.

To get Buglips's ribbon, though, you would have to paint the actual Ed sculpt that Ed is sculpting and enter the composition. Which is to say that you couldn't resculpt the Ed sculpt yourself, even if it really looked like the Ed sculpt that Ed actually sculpted, though you could of course sculpt the Ed that is sculpting the Ed sculpt. To get the scaling right, this would entail a 1:1 sculpt of Ed, which would be too large to enter into the show.

If you could get a waiver, though I would recommend entering it as a diorama.

With the title, "Edception".

... Wow.

:lol:

If only I weren't supposed to be giving my hands a break!!!!

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Is this a good place to mention that the price of a medium box is half of what most airlines charge to check a bag?  I mean indent really have a choice, anything heavier than a backpack I'm not lifting anyway but it us usually 25 dollars to check a bag.  Then it doesn't matter if it has pointy things on it.

or fly Southwest, if you can, 2 free checked bags. I used them going to Vegas earlier this year. Sadly, I barely filled 1 suitcase for that trip, nothing like what my RCON packing is like!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Fire_Eyes said:

So, out of curiosity, does anyone know why some of the bones versions of the Ed Pugh skeletons are listed as David Pugh? I've found a few that I've already painted, but I'm not sure they'd qualify since they're Bones, even though Ed is listed as the sculptor on the metal version 

Anything credited Dave counts for Ed because they share some of the credits.  On one Reaper Live Ed said Dave started some and Ed finished em, etc.  This was after  I set EdMania runnin wild, so really Celebration Ed is also celebrating Dave it was just too late to alter the merch.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Crowley said:

:zombie:it cools off at night though, right?!?

No, the hotel stays pretty much the same comfortable temperature 24/7.

Can't speak for the great outdoors.

Since nearly all the Con activities will be in the air conditioned part of Denton, I'm not really worried about it.

GEM

Twinkle Twinkle

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Anything credited Dave counts for Ed because they share some of the credits.  On one Reaper Live Ed said Dave started some and Ed finished em, etc.  This was after  I set EdMania runnin wild, so really Celebration Ed is also celebrating Dave it was just too late to alter the merch.

Excellent! One badly speed painted skeleton is on its way to being a competition entry ::P:

• Like 4

UPDATE REPORT:

I did some very good progress today. I really believe I'll be done painting my main project by tomorrow. And by Sunday I'll finish the basing and assembly. However, I'm also reaching the point where where I may fall in the time sink trap of "Juuuuust a bit more..." that turns into hours of lost productivity.

For friendly competitions, a "good enough" complete project is better that a incomplete "very good" one.

Any secondary projects I somehow manage are merely to score some ribbons. ::P:

• Like 6

To do list is done except for the stuff that has to be crammed into the car at the last minute.

We launch [theoretically] in about 8 hours.

See you all in Denton.

Everybody please have safe travels.

GEM

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

To do list is done except for the stuff that has to be crammed into the car at the last minute.

We launch [theoretically] in about 8 hours.

See you all in Denton.

Everybody please have safe travels.

GEM

Have a safe drive & we'll see you there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yay! I actually finished something for the convention!

21117952-DEDC-4815-BE06-3DC156DF32C7.thumb.jpeg.7096aaf48579ffdbb9d5fce66a0c050a.jpeg

That’s 5 copies of 20 unique 2019 ReaperCon Bingo cards right thar! Yup. I done dun it! They are also now properly sorted into a semi-random order in 20 unit sets, so the likelihood of two people getting the same card is, er, well, still 1-in-20. But you get the point. 

Too bad I didn’t manage a painting entry, but this was more important.

And check out the Faces thread in case you don’t know or can’t remember my visage in order to pick up one of these high quality Con essentials! All for the low, low price of nothing! Well, discounting what you’ve already paid to get in to the con, of course. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

The text color isn't working, so smiley faces for completed things it is! 

-Paint class example minis (2-3)

::):Finish class minis prep

::):Instructor notes for shiny paint class 

-Finish and print new class handout

-Gather display minis (+Ed sculpt) 

::):Gather other minis to maybe paint (Tiger Lily, DS, Argent)

-Finish priming Argent

-Make big pot of chili so MrBoot doesn't starve while I'm gone

-Pack hobby stuff [started!] 

-Pack regular stuff

-Print boarding pass (Monday)

-Print registration QR code(s) 

-Get shirt and vest for costume

-Get nails done

::):Find business cards and their holder

-Remember what I forgot to put on this list once it's too late to do anything about it 

And another prep pic for the fun of it. Behold my colorful paladin army! They are ready to venture forth and become SHINY! :bday: 

20190823_214053.thumb.jpg.7163df4a9a3e78f04b28e4a38941e233.jpg

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1