Sign in to follow this  
zaran

Getting Started With Busts

I picked up my first ever bust this weekend at Reapercon to finally try to paint something a little big bigger. I went with the Morihalda Forest Spirit Bust from Bombshell Miniatures because I figured non-human skin tones would be a less intimidating jumping off point. I plan to start with zenithal priming for it, but wasn't sure if that was the best approach for busts, and would appreciate any advice about that and busts in general.

I did find this post about plinths http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77430-busts-for-beginners-help-needed/&tab=comments#comment-1635473 and plan to pick up some wood blocks next time I'm at the craft store.

Edited by zaran
Remove external link
  • Like 3

If you want something inexpensive to practice on there's a set of 5 Disney Princesses available on The Bay of E and the Riversite...   

Also, it's kind of against the rules to link to commercial sites, so you may want to edit your post soonish. 

(Most forumites can find the Bombshell site anyways)

There was a rather stunning Morihalda shown here recently. Can't remember if there was a WIP thread also.

I'm currently painting bust nr. 8. started a few years ago with these.

You can search on youtube " painting bust" and you will find several great tutorials/blogs to inspire and help you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

If you want something inexpensive to practice on there's a set of 5 Disney Princesses available on The Bay of E and the Riversite...   

Also, it's kind of against the rules to link to commercial sites, so you may want to edit your post soonish. 

(Most forumites can find the Bombshell site anyways)

There was a rather stunning Morihalda shown here recently. Can't remember if there was a WIP thread also.

Thanks for the heads up about the link, I went ahead and removed that. I also checked out the Disney Princesses you mentioned and will probably pick up some of those to practice on.

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I'm currently painting bust nr. 8. started a few years ago with these.

You can search on youtube " painting bust" and you will find several great tutorials/blogs to inspire and help you.

Awesome, thanks! I'll look there next.

• Like 3

Go to amazon and copy paste this in:

Safari Toobs: USA Presidents

Disney Princess Bust Statue Collection

Takara Tomy Disney Princess Bust Collection Set of 5

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got them and have two comments:

I am going to have to cut them up and reassemble because there are a lot of unreachable areas otherwise. That's going to be a pain. 

Do not use Reaper primer on them. It is tacky feeling and doesn't set right on that material. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I got them and have two comments:

I am going to have to cut them up and reassemble because there are a lot of unreachable areas otherwise. That's going to be a pain. 

Do not use Reaper primer on them. It is tacky feeling and doesn't set right on that material. 

On the princess busts? Are they not plastic? Maybe when I can afford a set (you know, broke now due to this thing called KS4::o:), i'll throw stynlrez at them.

They're plastic of some sort. Pretty bendy plastic, more gummy than Bonesium. Whatever it is, it doesn't like Reaper's primer. And great goodness, so many unreachable areas with a brush. I still need to take the knife to them. 

I won the same Bombshell bust during the auction.  She'll be a trip and a learning experience for sure.  I'm scared i'm going to mess it up royally. 

Was told many many times over the course of the Con, practice is the best teacher.  Here is to us, sitting our butts in our painting chairs. Cheers!