Sign in to follow this  
HolkDiggity

ReaperCon 2018: A Noob's Perspective

4 hours ago, HolkDiggity said:

I've been to a few conventions in the past, most of them for gaming. (PAX, TooManyGames, SteelCityCon, etc.) I'd like to share a few of my observations about ReaperCon, as I really do believe that it was the best convention I've ever been to.

I'm a relatively new painter. I started in July of 2017 after buying the Dark Souls board game. After starting a D&D group, I quickly found Reaper, and so on and so forth.

My main goal at ReaperCon was to learn. I took as many classes as I felt I could handle without burning out. I learned something new in each class that I took. I also began seeing the common threads that linked each of these painting techniques together. This was largely due to the fantastic teachers. Not only knowledgeable and patient, giving special attention to each student, but every teacher that I had was so humble! (I'm looking at you, Mr. Ridolfi!)

Between classes, I attempted a few of the themed painting events at Ludo's tables. I really, really enjoyed the "Paint By Die Roll". Aside from being just a crazy idea, it was a great lesson in utilizing odd colors in effective ways. Sophie Says was hilarious madness, and I loved seeing what everyone did!

I didn't get to do some stuff that sounded great, like the modification contest on Sunday, or the tour of Reaper HQ, but those are things that I'm really looking forward to next year.

The fun events, classes, and cool things to do are one thing, but a convention is really about the people, and this is where ReaperCon really shined. I've said this before, but every single person that I met was great. People were friendly, courteous, and in good spirits, and it really made me feel like I was among friends. I know this sounds cheesy, but I felt like I was among "my people".

Lastly, I want to say thank you to the staff. You all did a wonderful job. To all of the Hall of Famers, the registration staff, (whom I bothered countless times, lol,) all the painters in the row, the teachers, judges, vendors, and everyone involved: Thank you! Also, specifically to Ron, thank you so much, sir. Above and beyond.

I can't wait until next year. I took home a bronze in the MSPOpen, and I'll be back in 2019 to go for a silver!

welcome to the family!

• Like 6

This is pretty much the same reaction I had at my first ReaperCon in 2016 (this is my second).

It is worth it on so many levels.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 5

I felt exactly the same! I was a bit shy the first couple of days but by Sunday there were a few faces I recognized and because everyone was so friendly I felt comfortable enough asking to sit with people.

Looking forward to next year!

• Like 8

My first ReaperCon too and I totally agree.  I did not expect, after 4 days packed full of Painting and Hobby and everything else, I would get home so energized and ready for more painting :)

• Like 9

Not really my first ReaperCon (this was my second), but given that the one before that was 2007, it sort of felt like the first again. 

My overall impression is that Reaper has gotten even better at putting on a con.   Despite it's obvious growth in size, this one still had the personal feel of the one at the factory in 2007.  

My only complaint has to do with the Growtix site for registering. 

• Like 6

Great to see some new people, and i'm very glad to hear that Reapercon was an awesome experience for you!

I'm looking forward to interacting with you all on the forums, and meeting up with you next year.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Not really my first ReaperCon (this was my second), but given that the one before that was 2007, it sort of felt like the first again. 

My overall impression is that Reaper has gotten even better at putting on a con.   Despite it's obvious growth in size, this one still had the personal feel of the one at the factory in 2007.  

My only complaint has to do with the Growtix site for registering. 

Reaper got *plenty* of feedback about Growtix.  Expect some changes next year.  I also offered my services in trying to test out whatever system they use.  If *I* can figure it out, it can't be that complex.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Reaper got *plenty* of feedback about Growtix.  Expect some changes next year.  I also offered my services in trying to test out whatever system they use.  If *I* can figure it out, it can't be that complex.

Based on how Haley(?) reacted when I talked to her about my game sign up for Haldir's game, I suspected as much. 

• Like 6