Hobby Hijinks Events Post Con Thoughts

Ludo

Hope everyone had a great time at the con. I'll be doing a post con report to Reaper later this week and I'd like to get feedback on the Hobby Hijinx events. Even if you don't comment before I send in my report, I'd love to hear your opinion for planning next year.

Events in the Hobby Hijinx area:

Paint N Take

Speed Paint

Quick Conversion

Paint by Die Roll

Sophie Says

Faction Fun (Sophie Says with faction point awards)

Ultimate Conversion and Speed Paint 

A few things I already have on my list for improvements:

More ribbons. The Paint by Die Roll got added to late to order ribbons. We also ran out of ribbons for most of the other events. I'll do better next year.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a blast participating in Sophie says, I didn't catch any of the others due to scheduling conflicts, timing or whatnot, but overheard several people talking about how much fun they were.

Thanks for your hard work making a whole lot of people have fun this weekend!

10/10, would recommend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sophie Says was a lot of fun!  I did get to go to the paint and take at the last minute.  one suggestion there is that the colors on the table should match the directions on the mat.  might be helpful for new painters.  I did come late so things may have moved around during the weekend.

I hope to have more time next year to participate in some of the other events!  everything was a lot of fun!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the hard work you put in to run those events. It looked like people were having a lot of fun. Some thoughts: 

Was glad to see the handout in the swag bag, because otherwise I would not have realized you were doing so many different events besides Sophie says.  The great big sign board was nice, too. Made it easy to see what the schedule was. 

Multiple tables for paint-and-take and events was a good idea with the larger attendance now

More figures were needed for the conversion event. With ~8 people at the table the "good" quick convertible pieces with easily removable arms and wings went fast.  Maybe get with the guys who run the 2 hour class because they had huge tubs of material. 

There were ribbons? ::(:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I didn't participate, but I did watch a bit.

I would second Sylverthorne's recommendation about table spacing - it was hard to see what was going on.

Also, for Sophie says, I'd see about getting one of those microphone things John was using for the factory tours. As an observer from a couple tables away, it wasn't always easy to hear, but I also didn't want to get up from my painting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I second the microphone comment. Some of the farther tables had a difficult time hearing sophie. 

I think for sophie says, you should consider removing the supergluing aspect. Some of the glue ended on people and brushes. Lol.

Speed paint was fun. 

Sophie says was hilarious.

Didn't try out convert and paint. 

Paint and take was good. Nice little selection. 

Paint by die roll surprisingly ends up with normalish colors other than pink rock pink for metal.

--- edit ---

We need to get you drinks and food next time. Bathroom breaks.... you're on your own.=P

Edited by pcktlnt
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ludo for all the hard work you did & painting in the car video! That's hijinks!

This was my very first major con and even I had heard of Sophie Says. It's a ReaperCon classic. Had lots of fun. Also enjoyed speed paint & paint n take. If I had time I would have done quick conversion.

Having paint scattered around makes Sophie Says fun, but paint and take (speed paint also) might benefit from having sets of paint grouped together. Something like a small nail polish holder can hold like 16-20 reaper paints.

• Like 2

I wasn't able to actually participate in any this year, but here's my thoughts from running the 3 Sophie Says that I was able to:

• I heartily second the suggestion that a local microphone setup or bullhorn be made available; my voice isn't super loud to begin with, and it was starting to fail by Sunday lol
  • Agree that more spacing between the tables there would be great
  • Between 5-7 tables should be permanently set aside in that corner just for Hijinks events, so that multiple events running simultaneously don't have to hunt for open tables in the area (Sophie Says everyone move to these two tables halfway across the room lol :blush:)
  • Have at least 20 minutes between events to reset (since I wasn't over there I don't know whether this was already done or not)
  • Schedule in a 1 hour break from 12-1; this mirrors the class schedule and ensures that volunteers and organizers in the events have time to get food too!
  • NEED MORE VOLUNTEERS for that area! Even if it's just folks to take 10 minutes to reset the tables in between would be fantastic; I was scrambling to locate supplies and make sure everyone even had paint at each table for the final Sophie Says event
  • I also agree with the need for more supplies (ribbons, minis, etc.) I think the fact that the Hijinks were so well publicized led to them being so well attended this year. This is a good problem to have! :bday:
  • I will be sure to properly coordinate with Ludo next year to ensure that my events are listed in the program ^_^
  • I will also be better prepared with a list of evil fun silly things to do for Sophie Says; I started to run out of ideas near the end lol

Overall I had an absolute blast, though! I hope lots of folks had a crazy fun time participating in (or even just watching) one or more Hijinks events this year! ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 4

Being that it was probably around 10 years since I participated in a Sophie Says, I had to get into the faction game (GO Magg....errr ummm yah ok nevermind). Being friends with "Sophie" does have it's disadvantages!!! :lol:

Actually I had a fun time throughout the 45 mins. I knew going into the event I'm not a fan of smaller Bones minis but again I was having fun & that is what counts.

Great job running the events, Ludo, OneBoot & Col K(sub for Ludo when he had to go enter his painting entries)!!!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, OneBoot said:
  • I will also be better prepared with a list of evil fun silly things to do for Sophie Says; I started to run out of ideas near the end lol

You know we're a helpful bunch around here, you could always start a "Things we'd like to hear Sophie Say" thread to help compile suggestions.  :devil:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

You know we're a helpful bunch around here, you could always start a "Things we'd like to hear Sophie Say" thread to help compile suggestions.  :devil:

I do have to say, though, that more than one person mentioned that I was a much kinder Sophie than Ludo, lol. I have a hard time being too mean to people! :blush:

Except for @Dilvish the Deliverer, though. He totally asked for it. Nobody sasses Sophie without facing the consequences! :;): :lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4