Hobby Hijinks Events Post Con Thoughts

Ludo

I completely enjoyed the after hours paint by die roll!  My little mini is at the front of my shelf of awesome! My only other interaction with the sophie says (other than attempting to freak out the participants by telling them they only had 10 minutes left...)  was when the sophie says groups came to visit the vendor area.  That was so much fun watching everyone paint and walk!  Great job guys!

Ludo, thank you so much for all your hard work.  We were playing underwing and underlings sunday and noted that the bag that holds the little colored gems would be a clever way to pick colors for painting. You could stock something like that with color tiles and then use the results to make everyone paint with them.  Just thinking of options to go along with paint by die roll.

Thanks again for all the effort you put into the events!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So inputs:

Agree with the superglue.  Pretty sure I ruined two brushes because of that.  Then again, that was my own damn fault for picking that mini.

The Gamer Badges we're awesome.  They are so going on my Nerd Vest so everyone can see them.

Thanks for not tellimg me you were already 20 miniutes in when I asked about joining the speed paint.  When I realised that I only had aboit 20 to 25 mintes it have a nice little shot of adrenaline and drove me to excel (or fail horribly; it was a 50/50 shot).

I agree that you need more assistance. Citizen Kane did an admirable job but for tje larger events you could have used some more help.  Feel free to grab me next year.  Always ready to help my Bob Ross brother out.

Yes, I deserved everything One Boot gave me and more.  I like it when she gets a little mean...

Also I must know what that red color was.  It still won't come off my wrist and it looks enough like blood that Erin was worried for me at breakfast the next day when she saw it.  I must have it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I wasn't able to actually participate in any this year, but here's my thoughts from running the 3 Sophie Says that I was able to:

• I heartily second the suggestion that a local microphone setup or bullhorn be made available; my voice isn't super loud to begin with, and it was starting to fail by Sunday lol

--OneBoot :D

ReaperJon (John?), anyway the one that gave the Reaper tour, got himself a portable mike and speaker for the tour that worked pretty well for the tour.

A quick search for "Voice Amplifier" will yield useful results. I'm thinking of getting one for GMing in loud settings.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A request from an observers PoV:

Be very aware of your participants and possible disabilities. Participating in a Sophie Says where I have to crawl under a table or bend a weird way would be impossible for me. I understand these things are supposed to be fun, but seeing the things people have been asked to do puts it in my mind that I can't participate in such fun and games. This pushes me away from this aspect of the con.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Kheprera said:

Be very aware of your participants and possible disabilities. Participating in a Sophie Says where I have to crawl under a table or bend a weird way would be impossible for me. I understand these things are supposed to be fun, but seeing the things people have been asked to do puts it in my mind that I can't participate in such fun and games. This pushes me away from this aspect of the con.

It was noted before a event occurred you could opt out of what Sophie said, if you felt uncomfortable about.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, haldir said:

It was noted before a event occurred you could opt out of what Sophie said, if you felt uncomfortable about.

Also we were ledt to interpret the directions.  So paint under the table coild be crawl under the table or just hold the figure under the edge.  Too bad I didn'tthink of that until now.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Also I must know what that red color was.  It still won't come off my wrist and it looks enough like blood that Erin was worried for me at breakfast the next day when she saw it.  I must have it!

Carnage Red, perhaps?  I used it in both of my Sophie Says sessions and really loved it.  I basecoated first in the brown liner, and if you had any parts that weren't quite dry, the Carnage Red mixed with it and made a really nice shadow.  If you applied it over bright white bones, it was super white.  I must have a bottle next time I order.  (Although I also use HD Rusty Red a lot - which has more orange in it - the Carnage Red is similar but just a little redder).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kheprera said:

I was trying to be very mindful of this, and did direct a couple of the participants to stay seated rather than paint under the table etc. Most of them came up with a modified version on their own instead. :)

Also, for the final big one, I kept the physically demaning directions both fewer and simpler, since I wasn't able to see all the participants to make sure nobody was having a hard time. 

I do appreciate your bringing this up, though, since it is definitely a concern, and we want everyone to be able to participate and have a fun time. @Ludo perhaps we should add a little disclaimer at the bottom of the activities sheet next year that Sophie doesn't want anyone to be hurt or uncomfortable, so if you have concerns to please feel free to let the organizer(s) know beforehand so you can be accommodated. Perhaps we could all wear a specific shirt/vest/sash to make volunteers and organizers more visible?

Huzzah! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

I was trying to be very mindful of this, and did direct a couple of the participants to stay seated rather than paint under the table etc. Most of them came up with a modified version on their own instead. :)

Also, for the final big one, I kept the physically demaning directions both fewer and simpler, since I wasn't able to see all the participants to make sure nobody was having a hard time. 

I do appreciate your bringing this up, though, since it is definitely a concern, and we want everyone to be able to participate and have a fun time. @Ludo perhaps we should add a little disclaimer at the bottom of the activities sheet next year that Sophie doesn't want anyone to be hurt or uncomfortable, so if you have concerns to please feel free to let the organizer(s) know beforehand so you can be accommodated. Perhaps we could all wear a specific shirt/vest/sash to make volunteers and organizers more visible?

Huzzah! 

A loud and garish 'VOLUNTEER!' pin, perhaps?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah! 

Thank you. ^_^

Since I wasn't there, I only saw a few pictures and thought "Oof..." But knowing you're being conscientious makes me feel much better that this is something being considered.

Just yet again proving my Reaper family is full of awesome.

• Like 6

Forgot to do "Sophie says encircle @pcktlnt

Carnage red was the color. 

We did try to mention to people to interpret the actions to the best of their ability. @Green Eyed Monster joined in at least one Sophie says. 

I definitely plan on moving the Paint N Take so there is more space. I'll have to talk to the powers that be about more Paint N Take tables. 

Will be planing on having a volunteer signup for for both running events and general help. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Kheprera said:

I participated in the Sophie Says and want to thank Ludo for taking my personal disabilities and physical limitations into account when giving a "Sophie Says".

As a person with limits to my range of motion and mobility my advice to anyone else with physical limitations is to make the attempt to participate but be aware of your personal limitations and just ignore, or modify if possible, any portion of the "game" that places you under stress or in an uncomfortable position.

This was my first ReaperCon and the level of consideration and awareness of my limitations exhibited by other convention attendees and the Con staff was exemplary, for which I thank you all.

The point being, I guess, that you should participate to the level you feel comfortable with, and no farther.  This is supposed to be fun, when it stops being fun it's time to call a time out.

GEM

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3