The "Archelon" (submersible conversion) and Dagon

My obsessions with both pulp undersea exploration and being a cheap bastard were richly rewarded the other day at the thrift store!

Someone had donated a vaguely sea-turtle shaped submarine toy in garish green and silver plastic. For 65 cents, it became mine! 
Internet research says it was once a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle action figure accessory (pic is not mine and I certainly didn't get the box with it!),
444928272_turtlesub.jpg.618f4e89bcf72e44651a8ab62b57ff01.jpg
but it's going to become a chelonian exploration pod for 32mm bathynauts! Gonna copper and brass that sucker up, and go over it with Nihilakh oxide, and paint thin rust-streaks for the little rivets, and glue probably superfluous garbage to the hull! 
DSCN4296.thumb.JPG.99f9264d1a442526dc0e11d236b6cbff.JPG

DSCN4298.thumb.JPG.a8be6e98b953e2a3909e6ccaa192aea8.JPG

I also got my hands on a Bones 77590, Father Dagon. Plan on some shiny blue colors with Doug-Jones-fish-man-style stripes. I feel there's a display to be made here. 

DSCN4293.thumb.JPG.691f5b4e769428d24c1d22dc0f2a2ea4.JPGDSCN4294.thumb.JPG.a51f26a5801c26221416521916f0468c.JPG

• Like 15
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Rigel said:

First time working with Nihilakh Oxide; decided to encrust the rivets and have some patina "weeping" down the sides. Should I continue dabbing it on cautiously, or just slosh it everywhere? 

DSCN4384.JPG

DSCN4385.JPG

If it's supposed to be spending significant time submerged and moving forward you might want to consider some lighter streaking effects trailing backwards, particularly from the leading edges and more prominent protrusions.

Looking really nice so far.

GEM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
On 9/8/2018 at 10:51 PM, Green Eyed Monster said:

If it's supposed to be spending significant time submerged and moving forward you might want to consider some lighter streaking effects trailing backwards, particularly from the leading edges and more prominent protrusions. ..

Good point.  And it is one of the more interesting concepts I've seen.  The metallics are working well together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/5/2018 at 11:10 PM, Rigel said:

Oooh yes! I hadn't thought of that, but I'm always down for barnacle encrustation!

If the hull is supposed to be copper, skip the barnacles; re, ships were copper sheathed to prevent barnacles.

She is turning out to be a BEAUTYGREAT WORK!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, malefactus said:

If the hull is supposed to be copper, skip the barnacles; re, ships were copper sheathed to prevent barnacles.

Oh good point!

Maybe attach some small fish as if they're swimming along...

• Like 2
On 9/11/2018 at 8:46 AM, malefactus said:

Malefactus, bringing the nautical history I need and crave! And thanks!

Maybe I'll put barnacles on some non-copper parts, or just on some Dagon terrain.

On 9/11/2018 at 12:10 PM, Glitterwolf said:

Oh good point!

Maybe attach some small fish as if they're swimming along...

Now there's another good idea! SO BE IT

• Like 2

If a thing is worth doing, it's worth overdoing! Slapped on more Nihilakh Oxide, Typhus Corrosion, and Armypainter Dry Rust. Getting close now! 

DSCN4391.thumb.JPG.4989cafc293688cec375cf8f879ca6ff.JPG

Tried @Green Eyed Monster's excellent suggestion, and love it for the steel rivets. Feel like I'm missing something on the copper back-streaking...should it be drippier? Straighter? Less smeared?

DSCN4392.thumb.JPG.e774c1aaf202851f721bcafc261cc478.JPGDSCN4393.thumb.JPG.f4a0bbd8616acf6856604b9b1a25c754.JPGDSCN4394.thumb.JPG.811e442557339ad51439c6deef9ea818.JPGDSCN4395.thumb.JPG.1821db73f5290bb9306f512e8d034a53.JPGDSCN4396.thumb.JPG.d3d8394616f1022241bb050aea306de4.JPG

Also put a coat of Dark Patina on Dagon! Reaper's Deep Sea Diver for scale.
DSCN4389.thumb.JPG.699bc13951b4223c686b5e2d9a676c2c.JPGDSCN4390.thumb.JPG.dd55feae5638c39054198c1ae1205709.JPG

• Like 7

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.