Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Painting got interrupted by basement flooding... and show off pics got got interrupted by more flooding... I will have a few more pics to add later from behind and under when I have a moment.
I may not do much more painting for a while though. WIP starts here. A few posts surrounding show some of my Bones 5 dry fits and will have other Bones 5 stuff in that thread ...whenever I can paint again.
Back again with some spiders!
I tried out Rangers of Shadow Deep last night and got to break out my spider minis. I've got a few Giant Spiders and Spider Swarms from the D&D board games Castle Ravenloft, and Legend of Drizzt respectively.
I had started these ages ago but quickly became dissatisfied with the direction they were headed. A few months ago I picked them back up and went in a different direction.
The giant spiders in particular were letting me down. The sculpt is pretty undefined. It took some freehand fur work to bring it to life. I also switched from a warm brown tone to a cool grey. I think the added contrast makes them stand out a lot better.
I also added some used dryer sheets as webbing. It's mostly successful. The super glue turned it invisible in places which sort of works as holes in the web. Definitely will revisit this idea again in future projects.
The spider swarms are less successful. I tried to keep three distinct colorations to help them stand apart from one another. But with such poorly defined details, they could have used more contrast. They work well enough. Maybe I'll revisit them, but I tend to just move on after calling something "good enough."
What do you all do for swarm minis? I find that most of mine look rather drab or incomprehensible.
I am a very new painter, I have painted some minis in the past, not a lot though, but due to some jerks at a game store I stopped playing. Almost 10 years later, I have decided to get back into it and I present to you Mr. Webster the Giant spider. I had a lot of fun with this, and the paints were all from the Reaper Learn to paint kit core skills. This was my second time ever using washes and dry brushing, and I am really excited with how it turned out! Going to get him on a base soon, and introduce him to my players at D&D...
Drums! Tribal drums from the heart of the deepest jungles. The Goblins wage war. They spider heards will consume everything on its past and, when there's nothing left, they will leave the trees behind to invade the lands of men. Their Chief, riding the giant eight legged spider steed Sleipnir, is ready to lead them to victory.
Here I wanted to try a particularly colorful palette to tap into the jungle theme. Maybe in that note it lacks a bit of green... first time I use this colored liquen. Maybe is too much?
If you liked it, please consider following my instagram :D
Arachnophobic Trigger Warning!
If seeing lots and lots of pictures of spiders is an issue for you, this is NOT the post for you.
As soon as the Goroloth was done, Ron asked me if I wanted to do another. Of course, I agreed. This time, he wanted a really big spider; one to fit a 4 inch (100 mm) base. Before you all say, "But I thought it was on a 5" (130 mm) base," bear with me; that is a part of the later half of the story. He pointed me at several sources of inspiration, but the design was going to be for me to develop. Funny though how what an Art Director can see in the sources and an Artist sees can be completely different features, as you will soon see. Where Ron saw a bulbous body, pointy fused legs, and plates; I saw spikes, spines, and big fangs. This project was about to become one of the most intense back and forth projects between myself and my art director that I have ever had, but the end result was well worth it and, together, I think Ron and I developed one of the best figures I have ever sculpted.
It started out as any project does, with a basic armature:
I refined that shape grossly into the shape I wanted for the body:
After that I started pulling in rough details using mostly the Move and Inflate brushes. I should note that I was not yet trying to create a finished spider, but merely get my concept down so I could send it to Ron for approval on the general theme of the piece.
I added eyes. These were based on Jumping spiders.
Then I built the legs. Each segment was a separate piece that I sculpted from cylinders and then inserted into the main sculpt. I built all the legs on one side, and then mirrored them onto the other side. Again, this is all mostly conceptual at this point. If you look closely, you will see that noting is really connected, I just needed to get it put together to get Ron's feedback.
Next post, I'l cover Ron's response and where we went from there. (Though it should be obvious what his response was, considering that the above spider looks absolutely nothing like the finished Arakoth.)
Who's Online 6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)