TigerMoJo

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:10 PM, KingMob said:

Peace and blessings, brother.

You raise very good points and I agree with you on the Judges. (I personally think some are abrasive for ratings and drama, but that is me). These instances involve individuals who have gotten the training, done the work, and are placed into a position of authority where people come to them to have their talents appraised. 

Unfortunately, our focus is not on Judges, but on people outside that realm of authority:

"I'm picturing  a scenario where I log into a large Discord feed and stumble upon a group of goons picking apart my work  against a picture that I didn't post, with a name that they can trace to FB or wherever."

I know the Judges of ReaperCon - for example - would never speak to a person like that about their work. And as a new comer, feel good knowing you and your work WILL be treated with respect! A professional who respects their Craft knows the effort, the heart and soul, that goes into the work. Criticism is there to push you to next level.

The "you suck, you really really suck" Crowd that spits venom instead of critique. Not Judges, and their words intend to bring ruin - they repeat the words they were told by another. These individuals who tear down another are not providing constructive criticism, they are venting their pain. They do not speak Truth. 

The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel it's warmth.

There is constructive criticism and there is being a jerk. The wisdom lies in knowing difference. And as a competitor, sometimes that distinction is a trial in and of itself.

Never apologize for sharing your insight. Every Master started as a Beginner. You stand among your peers. Feel welcome and wanted. 

You are among your Tribe. :)

May your blends be smooth. 

From everything I have read on these boards and facebook posts, and from my experiences with gaming, the very vast majority of people we interact with at these types of cons are very cool people and very considerate of others. We all know what it's like to put ourselves out there and find acceptance from people we like and respect. I am so looking forward to coming next year. It will be a very different experience for me, because other that Garycon, the only cons I have ever been to are Origins, GenCon, and Drgoncon, which are all huge. A con of 1,000? Sounds pretty cozy :)

• Like 7

On 9/12/2018 at 1:06 PM, Heisler said:

The Auction

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with the auction. The auction has evolved a bit over the years but the one thing I cannot control is the creation of the various groups that pool together their reaper bucks. Just doing a raffle at the end, besides being very low energy, won't change the situation though. It just means those same groups that have a lot of Reaper Bucks for the auction will now have a lot of Reaper Bucks to buy raffle tickets with. Like most of the operations at Reaper Con, the auction team is all volunteer a most of us are doing multiple things over the course of the event. By Sunday afternoon we are tired as well and we just want to end the convention on a high energy note. A raffle is about as low energy as you can get, a auction, regardless of your level of participation, is a much higher energy event and I try and make it as entertaining as possible. However, we have very little time to actually organize the material that is going up for bid, often I don't know what's there until after Ron has finished off doing the raffle. That means that things tend to come up very randomly, I don't really have  solution to that other than if you are not part of a table group and there are things you are specifically interested in come on up to the auction table either before the auction or even during the auction and we will do our best to accommodate you. The only hard and fast rule I have is that the last one or two items will be small, nothing that would cause people to hoard their Reaper Bucks till the end and then be really disappointed. On a side note I did think that the number of Reaper Bucks out on the floor was more manageable, from my standpoint, than it has been in years past.

I apologize that you had a bad auction experience but I would encourage you to give it another shot the next time you attend.

A Reaper Buck store or even a silent auction are just not possible within the limits of space and the available staff. While we aren't terribly concerned with people actually stealing anything, both of those options will require someone to be available for the entire time that the items are on display and eat up a lot of space that we just don't have. A silent auction in particular would likely mean that we would not be able to include things like the class paint sets nor would it keep the table groups from winning as many of the silent auction bids as they wanted. Especially since they would actually have more people available to keep the bids going up on the various items.

I guess where you see a high note I saw sour faces and frustration. I saw people leaving early and handing their bucks off as they lost any hope of being able to compete. I heard people say, when I expressed frustration about the auction, that they don't go anymore because of the format. I'm thinking of how this event is growing with more and more new people who will have no idea they need to pool their bucks and a system that rewards only those in the know. 

Yes, people can still pool raffle tickets but at least it won't be people openly driving up prices and cutting down others. I also disagree that raffles aren't high energy. I've run an annual charity event that relies on multiple raffles. We've raised nearly $10,000 and people are always hyped about those giveaways (with similar prizes as what you were offering). I'd actually love it if the end giveaways were connected to a charity (Extra Life, perhaps?) and give people the opportunity to buy additional raffle tickets with proceeds going to the charity. There can be a goal sign for tracking and people can get hyped about hitting that goal.

As it stands though, I will graciously give my bucks to a child next year and bow out of the closing events. 

Edited by TigerMoJo
  • Like 4

Just as a counterpoint, I have won several items in past auctions and then given them away to other people that didn't have very many Reaper Bucks.

On a different note, one thing that I have noticed both during the con and after, is that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of attachment to the Dreadmere setting (which is pretty cool, IMO). Yes, there are the stickers to help one's chosen faction to 'win', but that's about it. I don't know how much of a hassle it would be be to try to tie the various factions to events happening during the con to get people more involved, but it might be an idea to explore. A lot of people don't seem to really know/understand what the whole faction thing is all about, and choose their faction by which one has the coolest mini. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, of course. Some people like painting minis, some people like role playing, some people like both (me). For those that happen to like both, or even are just interested in the back story of their cool new mini, it might be worth the effort to try and give the factions/setting a little more presence at the con. Or it might not, I don't know; I'm just throwing suggestions out there.

Maybe have the winning faction from the previous year dictate the the theme of the following year?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

On a different note, one thing that I have noticed both during the con and after, is that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of attachment to the Dreadmere setting (which is pretty cool, IMO). Yes, there are the stickers to help one's chosen faction to 'win', but that's about it. I don't know how much of a hassle it would be be to try to tie the various factions to events happening during the con to get people more involved, but it might be an idea to explore. A lot of people don't seem to really know/understand what the whole faction thing is all about, and choose their faction by which one has the coolest mini. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, of course. Some people like painting minis, some people like role playing, some people like both (me). For those that happen to like both, or even are just interested in the back story of their cool new mini, it might be worth the effort to try and give the factions/setting a little more presence at the con. Or it might not, I don't know; I'm just throwing suggestions out there.

Maybe have the winning faction from the previous year dictate the the theme of the following year?

I mentioned this in my OP too and fully agree. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

You mean it isn't supposed to be about which has the coolest mini? :rock:

That's why I thought giving River Widows a pet was unfair and unnecessary. Since they had gone that route, should have given all four factions a pet along side the mains. Some people I had interactions  with were more interested in the pet. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

You mean it isn't supposed to be about which has the coolest mini? :rock:

Like I said, that's totally fine if that's what you're into.

I'm just saying that they could do more than that with it with a little more effort, and that would make the overall con, and the factions themselves, more interesting, IMO. They seem to be putting a fair amount of time/energy/money/effort into the Dreadmere setting, and I think it's kind of a shame that a lot of it goes unnoticed.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

A lot of people don't seem to really know/understand what the whole faction thing is all about, and choose their faction by which one has the coolest mini. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, of course. Some people like painting minis, some people like role playing, some people like both (me). For those that happen to like both, or even are just interested in the back story of their cool new mini, it might be worth the effort to try and give the factions/setting a little more presence at the con. Or it might not, I don't know; I'm just throwing suggestions out there.

I think the con could use more Dreadmere based games. Joseph does an awesome job running his games, but the sessions and seats are very limited.  I would like to see multiple tables and GMs for each scenario, like they do with organized play. 

1 hour ago, pcktlnt said:

That's why I thought giving River Widows a pet was unfair and unnecessary. Since they had gone that route, should have given all four factions a pet along side the mains. Some people I had interactions  with were more interested in the pet. 

Axolotls are just cool looking.  A number of figures come with animals, I didn't see anything unfair about it. Who knows, maybe next year the Duskwardens will get a hunting dog or something.  I think the sculptors would love to do that if we asked. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Like I said, that's totally fine if that's what you're into.

I'm just saying that they could do more than that with it with a little more effort, and that would make the overall con, and the factions themselves, more interesting, IMO. They seem to be putting a fair amount of time/energy/money/effort into the Dreadmere setting, and I think it's kind of a shame that a lot of it goes unnoticed.

Is it actually a lot of time/energy/money/effort if it is barely noticeable outside of a few cool minis? Not being there, I can't say for sure. From the pictures though, it kinda seems like there are minis, and @knarthex in costume and that's that. 

• Like 2

Well, I don't know for certain, but yes, I'd imagine there's a fair bit of time and money involved. The program has 4 full color pages in it detailing the factions and a map of the region. There are also 11 B&W pages of 'fluff' about the setting. That costs a bit to print, I'd imagine. There are also posters and banners for each of the factions spread around.

All of that stuff takes time and money to design and make.

That is, as I said,  all pure speculation on my part, though. Knarthex being in costume is just an added bonus. ::P: There are other folks who dress appropriately, they just don't seem to make it into as many pictures.

• Like 5

So here is an idea.  House/Faction games! River Widows vs Bonehenge at a tug of war for points for their faction.  Painting hijinks for faction points, like a speed paint off.  Do it like house points in Harry Potter.  Etc.  But the problem is...how would they allocate the man power?  Volunteers? Reaper peeps? /shrug

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mr Melons said:

So here is an idea.  House/Faction games! River Widows vs Bonehenge at a tug of war for points for their faction.  Painting hijinks for faction points, like a speed paint off.  Do it like house points in Harry Potter.  Etc.  But the problem is...how would they allocate the man power?  Volunteers? Reaper peeps? /shrug

I know one of the Sophie Says was a faction event, and people got stickers for participating. But it needs a hook.

I am part of the "Dreadmere blind" faction. I see the fluff, I know it's "going on", but it makes no difference to me that it's happening. Two factions could be completely slaughtered and their virtual bodies could litter the gaming landscape and I'd be none the wiser. The first RC I went to was sci-fi themed (the entire reason I actually went), and they'd worked up little center pieces for the dinners based on that. A hook. It's something I feel that's needed, a bit more theatrically themed to tie things in, like an entire room done up as Dreadmere's market, where Reaper Bucks could be spent on props and fun things (solving another issue). Weird candies, small plates of themed foods, scrolls of knowledge, kazoos. Nearly skee-ball level stuff. Possibly enough bucks and get some magical idols (ie, different metal figures than the bags).

I have ZERO idea what the above would really be, I just let my unconscious mind drive sometimes and that's what it spit out. It's probably a ton of work, too. But... it could grab more attention that way.

• Like 7