Entola

Reaper's YouTube Problem

11 hours ago, Entola said:

The point being, as a new painter, it feels like Reaper has completely ignored YouTube. The fact that an 8 year old video shows up at all is evidence that of that. YouTube is an excellent tool for learning more about the hobby and if Reaper really is ignoring YouTube that seems very short sighted. So my question is, Has Reaper really ignored the platform or am I just not seeing the YouTube painters that are using Reaper Paints?

*Edited for spelling

The short answer is that for too long, yes they did ignore the platform and are aware of the potential of it. They are now catching up.

They set up a small recording studio at Reaper's offices and aim to do weekly broadcasts.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Entola said:

I maybe off base, it could be that Reaper is primarily a Minis company that happens to make paint, so they are more focused on the mini side. If that's the case, that's fine. Just thought I would point out the perspective of a new painter just picking up the hobby and what my experience has been. 

I don't have any particular insight into where they are making money, but I don't feel like this is the case. Their paint (while not carried in my area) fills a lot of important gaps in the market (I feel). Almost all the other major ranges are much thicker, and though I use some very specific Vallejo, GW, and GreenStuffWorld paint/washes/mediums/etc. my go-to is Reaper for basic colors and for quite a few specialty things as well (liner, clears, brush on primers). People who limit their scope to one range are doing themselves a disservice. You should experiment and learn about lots of ranges. That doesn't mean you need to buy all of each range, just occasionally pick them up.

I wish Reaper had more painting videos, I agree it's a hole in their marketing plan. They have started to do a lot more interviews, which is okay, but I'd much rather watch a monthly painting/hobby video if they can figure out a good way to do that.

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

The short answer is that for too long, yes they did ignore the platform and are aware of the potential of it. They are now catching up.

They set up a small recording studio at Reaper's offices and aim to do weekly broadcasts.

I am glad to hear this. I look forward to seeing more content. Hopefully they will have all kinds of videos, Interviews, Tutorials, Guides, News and Reviews. 

1 hour ago, pinkymadigan said:

I don't have any particular insight into where they are making money, but I don't feel like this is the case. Their paint (while not carried in my area) fills a lot of important gaps in the market (I feel). Almost all the other major ranges are much thicker, and though I use some very specific Vallejo, GW, and GreenStuffWorld paint/washes/mediums/etc. my go-to is Reaper for basic colors and for quite a few specialty things as well (liner, clears, brush on primers). People who limit their scope to one range are doing themselves a disservice. You should experiment and learn about lots of ranges. That doesn't mean you need to buy all of each range, just occasionally pick them up.

Thanks, I have been experimenting with other brands. Reaper is my go-to for most colors, as well, but I have the Minitaire Ghost Tints, some Vallejo paints, Army Painter Washes, and quite a few of GW Textures and Technical Paints. I also picked up some Scalecolor at ReaperCon. All of which I first found out about and watch them being used on YouTube. I am still building my collection and appreciate the insight.

1 hour ago, pinkymadigan said:

I wish Reaper had more painting videos, I agree it's a hole in their marketing plan. They have started to do a lot more interviews, which is okay, but I'd much rather watch a monthly painting/hobby video if they can figure out a good way to do that.

I Agree.

• Like 5

This is not specific to youtube, but "Project Alpha" (Geek and Sundry/Nerdist's online video app) has been doing a series called Painter's Guild where Will Friedle (Eric Matthews from "Boy Meets World" as well as a ton of voice work) is basically having professionals teach him how to paint. He's going from zero to hero skills. They use a ton of Reaper paints and even featured an interview with @Reaper Ron. One of the teacher's from season 1 even instructed a class at ReaperCon last year! (Liz Beckley I think) I agree that more youtube videos would be awesome, just thought I'd share that for anyone looking for painting videos featuring Reaper.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

I can second this. I was able to chat with @Reaper Justin for a bit after my interview, and he said that they are actively trying to update how they connect with people and do more media stuff. ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I only follow stuff on Facebook and dabble in Youtube. No Instagram or Twitter for me. Mostly, I hope they succeed with more media for the sake of getting into more stores in more variety. Most stores I knew of in CO were phasing out Reaper stuff in favor of WizKids, and the place with Reaper figures had almost exclusively Bones (which are great, but sometimes you just want metal). Only one place had Reaper paints, the others were either Citadel only, or Citadel and Vallejo. One may have had Tamiya. 

Get back in there! 

• Like 5

I'd like to see more painting videos by Reaper so I know what the **** I can do with these paints! (: 

The LTPK paint sets would be a good start. What *else* can we paint with these paints? Have someone paint more Bones miniatures with each separate LTPK kit. Then, have painting videos of Bones miniatures that can be painted with both kits. Then fill out the triads of each LTPK sets and paint more Bones. Each set of paints used paints one Bones to advanced tabletop, and another to display level. 

On 9/7/2018 at 5:50 AM, pinkymadigan said:

I'd like reaper painting videos just so we can watch Michael Proctor do his magic :lol:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I'm actually planning to do a regular painting series on youtube to go with my blog https://www.adampaints.net/blog/  

I already have some initial footage taken using my new setup. Whilst regularly using reaper MSP paints. 

I'm happy to tag reaper in and do any sensible requests.

I did upload an early test to my facebook page with the setup I plan on using Id appreciate any feedback on the camera setup

https://www.facebook.com/Themodelpainter/videos/1645267268855190/

• Like 2

Cheers, fellow painters of Minis!

Reaper LIVE has been going on for 10 weeks now, providing a SLEW of information not only about Miniature Painting, but also provide insight into the Miniature Industry and Production Process. For any and all who desire a career in the RPG Industry, Reaper LIVE 1-10 are mandatory viewing. Especially sculptors. Take notes.

Also: check out the previews of the upcoming miniatures.  Bones Black has me saving my pennies for the January Owlbear. Seriously, it is that kewl. 

Also: Anne Forester of Reaper is creating a video series where she paints AND gives insight into theory of paint, how it is made, Color Theory, and well, every doggone thing that has to do with Miniature Painting. The single episode she was in on Reaper LIVE has so much info, it requires multiple viewings. Take notes. Anne Forester is one of the great minds and Artists in the Industry, and has raised the ceiling of standards for Miniature  Painting. To have an Artist of this calibre doing a weekly show AND NOT behind a Patreon Paywall is a huge boon to us - We the People that are the player/customer base.

To have these shows available for Free, and to have this Talent available for Free, shows a commitment to their customers that is unrivaled today. 

I do not work for Reaper nor have I ever worked for Reaper. I do run my Media business. Knowing what is necessary behind the scenes: praise needs to be given where praise is due.

Immediately, Reaper addressed the needs of their customers, and work to release more content on a Free platform. 

Reaper deserves accolades. They certainly have earned my gratitude. 

Thank you, Reaper. Happy Holidays.

47575081_1540321779445839_6372061626928988160_n.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/8/2018 at 5:56 AM, redambrosia said:

I'd like reaper painting videos just so we can watch Michael Proctor do his magic :lol:

I would be a viewer.

1 hour ago, KingMob said:

Cheers, fellow painters of Minis!

Reaper LIVE has been going on for 10 weeks now, providing a SLEW of information not only about Miniature Painting, but also provide insight into the Miniature Industry and Production Process. For any and all who desire a career in the RPG Industry, Reaper LIVE 1-10 are mandatory viewing. Especially sculptors. Take notes.

Also: check out the previews of the upcoming miniatures.  Bones Black has me saving my pennies for the January Owlbear. Seriously, it is that kewl. 

Also: Anne Forester of Reaper is creating a video series where she paints AND gives insight into theory of paint, how it is made, Color Theory, and well, every doggone thing that has to do with Miniature Painting. The single episode she was in on Reaper LIVE has so much info, it requires multiple viewings. Take notes. Anne Forester is one of the great minds and Artists in the Industry, and has raised the ceiling of standards for Miniature  Painting. To have an Artist of this calibre doing a weekly show AND NOT behind a Patreon Paywall is a huge boon to us - We the People that are the player/customer base.

To have these shows available for Free, and to have this Talent available for Free, shows a commitment to their customers that is unrivaled today. 

I do not work for Reaper nor have I ever worked for Reaper. I do run my Media business. Knowing what is necessary behind the scenes: praise needs to be given where praise is due.

Immediately, Reaper addressed the needs of their customers, and work to release more content on a Free platform. 

Reaper deserves accolades. They certainly have earned my gratitude. 

Thank you, Reaper. Happy Holidays.

47575081_1540321779445839_6372061626928988160_n.jpg

Thank you for a great laugh!

• Like 1