"Standard" conversions?

Hey KAMUT,

I saw the posting on all the Starhawk variants, but what are your Regent variants? What makes a Samurai a Samurai?

Does anyone else have standard conversions they frequently use? I was going to make Stilabres (Stiletto guns on Sabre chassises), but that idea was nixed by the fluff.

PS

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fluff, what fluff?!?!? :o) Seriously though, how did the fluff nix the Stillabres? I think they'd be cool.

My favourite is contrary to the fluff as well, but it works so well. They're called Blood Manti (Mantises or whatever) and basically they're Manti with the Bergholm 22 from the Wyvern. The fluff claims the Berholm 22 wasn't sufficient for the Mantis and so the Bergholm 34 (or is it 36?) was made. Well, this just ain't true.

I love it when that happens :o)

Fluff, what fluff?!?!? :o) Seriously though, how did the fluff nix the Stillabres? I think they'd be cool.

My favourite is contrary to the fluff as well, but it works so well. They're called Blood Manti (Mantises or whatever) and basically they're Manti with the Bergholm 22 from the Wyvern. The fluff claims the Berholm 22 wasn't sufficient for the Mantis and so the Bergholm 34 (or is it 36?) was made. Well, this just ain't true.

I love it when that happens :o)

The JoR2 fluff for the Stiletto says they originally tried to put the Stiletto gun on the Sabre chassis, but it wasn't stable enough. The plan was a single vehicle with an assortment of weapons. But they couldn't make it work. So the Stiletto got another axle, beefier suspension, yadda, yadda, yadda...

So I'll just go with it. But now I'm waiting on the Nomad, because that does almost exactly what I want: fast, cheap, soft target, big hard-killing gun.

PS

I like the Stilleto gun on a Sabre, for three points less. for that reason I keep my turrets seperate from chassis, in case I wanna experiment. I prefer to keep both options available for the sabre, in case I want the same unit with hard punch or in its original config, for a more balanced role. Stay flexible; my TO&E allows for the modification if neccessary.

The Samurai is a Regent, but instead of the standard MT64 missile pods, it has the MT96A (off of the Archer) as well as the breeder and Targeting system. It costs 377 points, comparable to the Ronin in almost every aspect except its 5DTs instead of 6. It delivers a plus 9 with TL, plus 5 without, for a range of 36. The IFM is monsterous +2/+4 at an AOE of 4, range 48. The AA capabilities are tied to the chassis, not the weapons, so the MT96As are also antiaircraft capable.

This is a perfectly legal conversion covered in the modification tables, I prefer the look of the Archer's arms so I cut the little peice and glued the arm in there.

Note:

The Phoenix wasn't a variant I invented, that credit goes to Chaos, Earthwalker and his camp,

Starhawk V Variants

Redhawk Alpha

Standard weapons, upgraded targeting and breeder

Redhawk Bravo

Hybrid between Alpha and Charlie, one weapon replaced by Diedre Mk 1

Redhawk Charlie (Phoenix)

Redhawk with both primary weapons as deidre mk 1s

Regent Variants

Strike Regent (Alpha)

modified Targeting and breeder

Strike Regent Bravo

one weapon is replaced with MT96A

Strike Regent Charlie (Samurai)

both weapons replaced with MT96A

Strike Regent Delta (Ninja)

IFM is stripped, ECCM pod is attached

Falcon Variant

Striker Falcon

Rendor PBGs are replaced by Tower DFMs from the Starhawk V

(slow moving shooter)

I've just recently done a Rhino variant...

1. Remove the two DFM's.

2. Add on the Blitz IFM pack (I actually used the Sovereign IFM pack because these two look identical in the JOR1 pictures and it should theoretically function as either depending on need from game to game). Personally I favor the Blitz stats.

3. Upgrade the TL system to the Syram Bullseye Series 6

4. Upgrade the ECM (several options, but I'm currently trying the KDM CMC

Series 18.bL).

5. Increased movement optional.

By doing steps 1-4 you get a 581 point variant which I call the "BLACK RHINO." (Gotta chuckle... it's named that because it currently only has a black primer paint job). Sure it loses the benefit of one secondary weapon, but the IFM gives it so much more range because it doesn't always need to line up direct fire shots. So I just move him directly at my opponents and take opportunistic shots, either indirectly or directly. Then it gets the benefit of being an upgraded superheavy and all the perks that come with that.

I played it in one game and it KICKED ARSE like I couldn't believe (plus it had a WSO and armor upgrade). Simply amazing how well it did; it really proved my idea right... so far. Effectively this variant is my desire to put an awesome model into use (never really favored the Rhino stats, despite it's direct fire lethality) and because the Emperor is yet to be released.

Jag, ever thought of two IFM's? And I'd have thought the Bullseye Series VII would be better for the Rhino since it's 8 tracks... that way you actually get to TL at later tracks

Yes I did consider tow IFM's... but to keep the overall cost down I decided to go with just one. No biggy because the two Maxim's are my primary functions of the unit and the IFM is simply something to do until they get into range and LoS.

SELF EDIT: Aha... I think I see the confusion with the TL system... Apparently there's a typo Series VI is listed under both the Large and Super Chassis charts but with different stats. Since it's a Super Heavy unit I'm swapping for a Super Heavy TL system... There is a Series VII, but it's listed under Small Chassis, which obviously won't serve on an 8DT unit very well.

Series VII from the Thunderbird is the one I'm using and it goes to 8 tracks, albeit the last few are not worth much due to the degradation pattern. HOWEVER... the IFM goes off line after DT4 anyways... so I figure the latter DT's are time spent repairing and doing defensive fire. Plus, by that time I should be in close range while still having very respectable stats on the Maxims if necessary. Besides, lack of power is an issue on the latter tracks, therefore another reason I plan to repair once severly damaged.

I definitely have mutliple variants on the back burner for the Rhino now and I'll keep toying with it and see what seems to work best for me. For now, I'm very happy with how it turned out.

I did have a Rhino(King Rhino variant) called "Mai an Gan" (White Wolf) with two of the Koda Works IFM (60 inches) from the Conqueror, that was evil unprecedented, especially with the +4 Targeting. Alas, we retired "Mai an Gan" actually several weeks ago, Cochise (Wild Apache Rhino with +4 TL) is scheduled for retirement once the Starhawk VI is out.

LOL, we have a plaque and stand we're working on, detailing the actions of this Rhino.

Mai an Gan (King Rhino Variant)

3 Battles, 11 Kills, 1 ejection

Pilot: former Spear Chief Dominic Childs

WSO: (not named)

Battle of Sinopa River (7 Years War)

Yansa Defense (Peacekeeping operations)

Battle of Campa (2nd N'dee War)

Well, I have been working on a Sultan variant here lately. I havent actually had a chance to play it or build one as the arms I need arent in the boneyard yet. I was gonna surprise people with it at the Warmaster but I wont have it done by then.

Anyway, take a Sultan and drop the TL and the PBG. Add the Vartin 32's from the Mantis and the N2c Line Lock TL and you have a nasty CAV that does +8 IFM to hard targets or a +8 to soft targets with a 4" AOE. Not to mention the 2 +10 PBG.

It seems like it will be very effective but like I said I havent had a chance to try it out yet.

Oh and it doesnt have a name yet. Suggestions?