"Standard" conversions?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey a tip before you try that variant, see if you can replace the mantis weapons for the Chancellor's weapons, it might be cheaper.

while we're finding a name for Jeremy's Sultan; can I get some help with an idea of what to do with the 3 Archer chassis' I have extra. looking for a kick *ss variant for it, but its hard to top the original in this case.

Kamut, what about the GC's off of the Ronin? Could be cheaper than the real thing... then again perhaps not.

Alternatively, what about putting the Regent's missile on the Archer? Slower chassis means less points wasted in my opion, since Fire Support units tend to not need speed.

Kamut, what about the GC's off of the Ronin? Could be cheaper than the real thing... then again perhaps not.

The Ronin's GC are definately appealing, but then comes the cost, same with the Regents IFM. Thats why I went with the Archer's weapons instead of the Ronin's for the Samurai. at least the cost is in the same ballpark, where I can either go with the Samurai for speed, AA abilities, and easier modifications, or the Ronin for heavier resiliance (even a tad more firepower if I upgrade the TL).

Alternatively, what about putting the Regent's missile on the Archer? Slower chassis means less points wasted in my opion, since Fire Support units tend to not need speed.

I tend to value the speed of the Regent, kind of compensates for the "lack of Range" in comparison to the Conqueror and Soveriegn (range 60, but not quite as fast) though it doesn't mean I don't use them, just like the idea of having a local fire support that can keep up with my Redhawks.

Mitso Ta is wierd cause their best IFM is pretty good, but many of their chassis are pretty fast as well. I feel its a really nice blend of abilities. The Archer seems to be the exception, and thats what has me stumped.

Jeremy:

How about the Scimitar?

WHat about Saracen Jer?

I agree Kamut, Mitso-Ta does seem to have a really odd mix of capabilities. I've never really found that kind of stuff appealing when it comes to chosing which chassis to field for various things so I've never actually fielded a Mitso-Ta ground unit as yet. I've some Naginatas which should prove fearsome, but as for their CAV's I find them a little to eclectic for my tastes.

Although I'll admit the thought of a CAV with +3 armour and +6 base guns which moves at 24 is appealing. Course, I then look at the Hawk 6 and realise I'd probably never field it cos it'd be so expensive. Even at 5 DT's, the 'Starhawk VI' is 437 points and that's only +5/+3 guns.

Still, a +6/+0 gun would probably work out a little cheaper, and less good DFM's might help too.

*Idea forms inside head*

Hmm... where'd I put that PDF of the design rules? :o)

I can most certainly understand that cause I felt the same way for the longest time. they are eclectic indeed, and the typical configuration (2 primary 1 secondary) can be disconcerting for sure.

The Regent is one of those CAVs that you figure OK, hey, I want to put an armor and speed upgrade on a Spector. You realize its cheaper to just use a Regent and thats where it started for me.

Mitso Ta CAVs require a bit of finesse to get the most out of them. For me, the Regent is worth every point, cause you can do a lot with her, the Katana is another underrated CAV, I was thinking the DFM for her could find a home on the Archer.

One thing I can say about the Archer is, with an Armor upgrade, she's pretty much a front loaded brawler, so that'll factor in what I do for them.

hard to top the original for the Archer; one thing I notice is no Recon ESM CAVs for Mitso Ta, I may take a Katana and create a Recon Variant.

I agree Kamut, Mitso-Ta does seem to have a really odd mix of capabilities. I've never really found that kind of stuff appealing when it comes to chosing which chassis to field for various things so I've never actually fielded a Mitso-Ta ground unit as yet. I've some Naginatas which should prove fearsome, but as for their CAV's I find them a little to eclectic for my tastes.

Mitso-Ta seems to have that one idea for CAV, with 2 big guns and a hidden IFM. I think they look great, but I'm only slowly coming around to them.

Jer and I did some practice Warmasters, to test our squads, and I ran with an Archer, but without the IFMs. Makes it a 238 point pair of +5 guns. Not too shabby. But I really missed the IFM. The Archer is the weak sister in the squad, and when it came time for defensive fire, the Archer was the easy choice, and it got crushed quickly. If I could have let it hang back and pop off a couple rounds it would have been quite useful.

I think that Mitso-Ta has some tight designs. If it's what you're looking for, it's hard to improve, if it's not what you want, it's not even close.

PS

hey, heres a thought. stripping the missile takes her to 238, which is a really sweet number in my view, cause I could get a little creative and slap a tower missile system on her, to give her a little more bang. the only thing scaring me is the Breeder at that point.

Alright, I just got home and had a chance to play around with the numbers and this is what I found.

For the Sultan variant using the VX 12's from the Chancellor will save me 34 points. However, it does affect the performance a bit.

The Vartin is +6 +6 +6 +6 +4 +2 vs Hard targets

The VX 12 is +6 +6 +5 +4 +3 +2 vs Hard targets

so at tracks 2, 3 and 4 I am losing some serious damage capacity. I will elect to keep the Vartins. Worth the 34 extra points in my oppinion. However I may make up the VX 12 variant as well, as it may look cool, and its still pretty effective.

Now for the Archer ideas that Kamut asked about. Here are a few.

Drop all weapons and add two Vartin 32's from the Mantis (can we tell I like this gun! ::D: ) This gives you a VERY cheap mobile PBG platform, 320 points to be precise. If you are really skimpy on points use the MT 88 from the Ronin, still very respectble damage, and at 292 points, well worth it.

Just a few ideas!

Now for the Archer ideas that Kamut asked about. Here are a few.

Drop all weapons and add two Vartin 32's from the Mantis (can we tell I like this gun! ::D: ) This gives you a VERY cheap mobile PBG platform, 320 points to be precise. If you are really skimpy on points use the MT 88 from the Ronin, still very respectble damage, and at 292 points, well worth it.

Just a few ideas!

OK, yer insane. ::D:

If that's what you want, yank the DFMs off the Mantis, and add in the Archer's admittedly woofin' computers, and you've got a faster, better armored, cheaper version of the same thing. ^_^

PS